Speakerlab 6

Mark Hardy

Hello:

Whilst browsing that popular auction site (you know which one I mean...), I saw an interesting Speakerlab speaker system (speakerlab 6) that looks to be something akin to a Cornwall clone. The woofer is only 12", but it is noteworthy that the EV OEM (or EV knockoff) MR horn is mounted vertically. The EV OEM (or EV knockoff) tweeter is horizontal.

I mention it here because of its (perceived) novelty (I knew of the Speakerlab K-horn clone, but not this model) and because I am guessing it might go for something less than a Cornwall price!

Disclaimer. Link offered for entertainment purposes only. I am not the seller, nor do I stand to benefit from the auction described at this link.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3054602331

The midrange horns certainly look like EV models, the tweeters are the T-35 or equivalent not sure on the woofer though. I would bet that all the components are EV. I would imagine that they would sound very nice and be equally efficient as a Cornwall. If they could be purchased for $299 I think it would certainly be a deal.

Living in Seattle, I have a buddy that worked at SpeakerLab in the early 80's. I used to get driver stuff from them, and I wish that they still sold the horns, etc. The model 5, 6, and 7's all used EV tweeters. The midrange horns were aluminum castings with "SpeakerLab" cast on the sides, but I believe that the midrange drivers were also EV, but I could be wrong. I know that the tweeters were because I bought 4 of them years ago. Also the SL "K"'S had the EV drivers, except the woofer, which SL made inhouse. I'd like to get a couple of those new now...

DM

As it happens, I have a pair of the Speakerlab horn tweeters removed from a found pair of Jensen 3-ways subjected by some previous owner to a modification experiment gone horribly awry! They have a paper sticker on the back that says Speakerlab, but they look identical to genuine EV T35's, so I assume they are. Now they're spares for my Cornwalls.