La Scala mod suggestions

Rudy81

I should receive my eBay '92 La Scalas later this week. I know I will have to refinish the cabinet (black) and am wondering what mods you guys would suggest. I am particularly interested in the horizontal bracing of the bass bin and the full grill concept. Pictures and suggestions would be welcome.

If they are going to be on hard smooth floor,,,remove metal sliders and go to wal-mart get grippers,,i put five 1 1/2 inchers on mine one in the middle helped alot,......it does work..Andy,gave me this idea from his years at Hope factory. Also bought a HK430 on his advice...wow....well good luck..rick

Seems like you're familiar with upgrading, you have ALK's in your belles. I've owned two pairs of lascalas and a pair of khorns and I don't believe you need to modify the cabinets but that's just my opinion.

I'm about to modify the crossovers in the 86 lascalas to a type AA oil can and also make a ALK from scratch. I previously owned older models and remember them sounding a lot sweeter than what I'm hearing now (type AL).

ON the other hand I have been thinking about doing a mod on the bass bin to add lower end, it involves adding area to the what the bass driver sees and using two 10 inch long by 3 inch diameter ports to the addition. Just not sure yet and also a little busy builing a shelving unit to hold all the albums, cd's, and gear.

Good luck with your new purchase and what the heck are you going to do with a spare lascala? Randy

Randy:

I am not keen on making changes to PWK's designs for the sake of change. I have seen comments on the cross-bracing idea and wondered if it is worth doing it. I was also curious as to what the speaker looks like with a full grille.

I have looked for a long time and could not find a single LS for my center channel. I saw a pair on eBay that just needed a little TLC and the seller assured me they are in perfect working order otherwise. The price at $911 for the pair was too good to pass up. So, I'll end up with a spare. I have had these Belles since '88 and love the sound, so I can't imagine using one of those as the center. In any event, I will now have spare parts.

Rudy,

I have a pair of LaScalas with full grills, from the factory. To be honest, I'd have removed the grills if they weren't originally built like this. I hate to change the factory looks, but I kind of like the open appearance of a bare-faced LaScala. The full grills are trimmed with a narrow (maybe 1/4-inch thick by 3/4-inch wide?) moulding on the perimeter of the face.

Ross

Many thanks for all the suggestions guys. I finally got to listen to them last night. These are a perfect match for my Belles. I found the bass to be deeper in the La Scala than the Belle. The balancing network and horns are all perfect, just a little dust. However, the cabinets have a few deep gouges and some veneer chips that should be repaired. What is the best product to fill in these veneer chips?

In order to make the Belle style grilles, is that done with a simple wood frame inserted in the bass cavity and covered with grille fabric, or is there more to it?

Marvel,

Good to hear from you. In the middle of building a built in set of cabinets to hold my gear and albums. Also receiving two type AA oil can crossovers from a member of the community.

Now is a good time to make the mod to the base cabinet but leaning now to the bottom extension to raise the speakers the 10 inches and also making it easier to return them to stock. Thanks again, Randy

Randy:

I started this thread before I actually got to listen to the LaS. Now that I have, I can't think of anything it might need other than maybe an ALK balancing network.

These things sound absolutely great. They are a very close match to my Belles.

I will only be using one for the center channel, but I am extremely glad I got this set.

The first thing is to fix the minor damage caused to the cabinet during shipping. Somehow, the shipper chipped the veneer along the back-top of the cabinet. Then, I'm not sure. It is consecutive to the one I am using as center channel. These turned out to be such a great match to my Belles. The '93 LaS and my '88 Belles have the same drivers.