Educational materials-where do I go?

dkp

I joined the forum a couple of weeks ago and have been constantly amazed at the level of overall knowledge on this board. What would you recommend for regular reading, resource materials and just general ways for someone at the beginning stages of this hobby to learn more about it?

READ THIS FORUM! - like you are doing.

Also, www.hometheaterforum.com is much bigger than this place, and there is lots of info there.

Most of what I know is from this forum, and just having my gear and messing with it.

Basically, spend time on these forums (this and the above link), read old posts, play with your gear, read the instructions, look at audio magizines, etc.

Things like learning about bass management (not sending bass to your speakers) is one of many little things that will eventually fill your audio/home theater tool kit. Just hang out and enjoy!!!

Thank you for the information. Do any of you like a particular audio (and maybe video) magazine?

You said that bass management was not sending bass to your speakers which would mean sending it to the sub, I'm guessing. In order to do that, do you simply make the adjustment on your receiver? For example, I have the Yamaha 5560 receiver and have a setting in the menu to send the bass signal to the mains, the sub or both. I would guess that while this is one adjustment you can make, there must be many more. My receiver may also limit me to some degree.

Thanks again for the reply.