World's Oldest Klipschorn?? Serial #14

lowthers

I will definitely sell it. I do not have the room--or the corner--to display it appropriately. I'm not looking to 'hold someone up' on the price, but I would like a fair price for it.

Of course, if Klipsch would like to purchase it, I would be more than willing to consider an offer. However, I have heard that Klipsch usually is not willing to pay market prices for vintage equipment. This may be a wrong impression but it's what I've heard.

My intent with the forum was to get some good information on just what I had and to let members enjoy seeing it. I think I have that now and I thank everyone on the forum for their contribution.

Anyway, I'm open to fair offers. If nothing transpires, I probably will try the Ebay route. From my speaker business, I have many customers in Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore who have expressed a lot of interest, but I always try to keep vintage equipment in this country, if possible.

It's a sad fact that Americans do not value our audio heritage. For example, my guess is that people in this country would value #14 at less than a single new Khorn would cost. That's ridiculous, of course, but that's the way Americans generally look at things.

For example, a piece of vintage H.H. Scott equipment--which sounds better than almost anything made today--can't fetch $500 when some Jolida crap from China happily sells for $1395. I don't understand it, but that's the way it goes. That's probably why there's more vintage US audio equipment in Japan than there is in the US....

David Dicks

I think the speaker on the geocities link is a different serial number speaker. The cabinet knobs are different white verses bark and the crossover looks different. The base board is a different shape and the crossover components look different.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

P S. Thanks David for sharing the pictures. Do you have a price range you are looking for?

A heads up on this Khorn #14....The lable on the side of the bass bin. is T-3-b-1 THis bass unit was the transition unit between K-3 and K-3-B (T for Tentative, K for standardized Klipsch) He was making some internal & flat front construction changes or off standerd.this unit was then given TENTATIVE T-3 & subsequent models produced at this shop and to the same specifications became known as the K-3-B..... This was excerpted from a tech letter dated 27 november 1948. This Khorn #14 is slowly revealing its little secrets.

• 13 years later...
On ‎10‎/‎30‎/‎2003 at 9:32 AM, Trey Cannon said:

Captn Bob is correct. #14 is the first of 7 built after #2-13 were built by Baldwin. After #20, PWK bought the first factory and went to production with #121 so he would "look like he was a bigger company". #14 surfaced a couple of years ago on e-bay, and had some odd high frequency horn that was definitely not original equipment. Since there is no known record of K-horns before #121, its not possible to say whether #14 was shipped as a woofer only, but the horn it was wearing on e-bay would have made Paul puke. As a woofer cabinet (haven't seen the driver), it is among the rarest in origin. If the Klipsch museum did not already have #18 and #20 in complete working condition, this would be a likely addition.

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2003 at 9:38 AM, ZAKO said:

That Jensen P15 LL is not original to THAT horn. The Stephens P52-LX treated with DIBUTYLPHALATE (DBP) to control & lower compliance. Later Stephens made P52-LX-2 where outer surround met compliance without treatment. The Smith multi septa H F horn is not a KLIPSCH product. Alot of those were made buy owners or Smith. That Smith type horn is still popular today JBL 2397 & Westlake are still around. Westlake units are still in production. In looking closer at photo Of Jensen P 15LL I dont believe slotted screws originally were used. (especially without washers). Alot of early Klipsch unit were Dressed with an outer cabinet by other cabinet makers (WAF).

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2003 at 6:49 PM, ZAKO said:

A heads up on this Khorn #14....The lable on the side of the bass bin. is T-3-b-1 THis bass unit was the transition unit between K-3 and K-3-B (T for Tentative, K for standardized Klipsch) He was making some internal & flat front construction changes or off standerd.this unit was then given TENTATIVE T-3 & subsequent models produced at this shop and to the same specifications became known as the K-3-B..... This was excerpted from a tech letter dated 27 november 1948. This Khorn #14 is slowly revealing its little secrets.

I was on a quick "archeological dig" through the forum and it appears that I may have stumbled across Klipschorn No. 14.  Interesting information provided by Trey and ZAKO (may he RIP).  :emotion-21:

I had not seen interior louvered shutters on a Klipschorn until now. :o

large.587843e6a01b8_KlipschornNo14post-13602700.jpglarge.587843e8ae8f8_KlipschornNo14post-13602-1381924992700.jpg

The serial number tag indicating Klipschorn Speaker No. 14. B)

large.587843ec77ad8_KlipschornNo14serialnumbertagpost-13602-700.jpg

Woofer and woofer motor board tag information

large.587843efd1e98_KlipschornNo14wooferdetailtagpost-13602-700.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎29‎/‎2003 at 10:36 AM, CaptnBob said:

"Inspected by LSM" would most likely be Lloyd S. McClellan, Klipsch's first (and for a while only) employee.

large.587843e460248_KlipschornNo14inspectiontagpost-13602-700.jpg

I wonder what the ESR measures are for those capacitors? :ph34r:

large.587843e0c0eb8_KlipschornNo14crossoverpost-13602600.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

Jim Hunter would know.  No. 13 is part of the Museum collection of the Klipsch Heritage Museum Association.

If you post this question in the Ask the Historian section,  and link this thread, I am sure that @JRH can tell you all that is know about is based on the archives. 

Travis

On 11/4/2003 at 2:12 AM, lowthers said:

I will definitely sell it. I do not have the room--or the corner--to display it appropriately. I'm not looking to 'hold someone up' on the price, but I would like a fair price for it.

Of course, if Klipsch would like to purchase it, I would be more than willing to consider an offer. However, I have heard that Klipsch usually is not willing to pay market prices for vintage equipment. This may be a wrong impression but it's what I've heard.

My intent with the forum was to get some good information on just what I had and to let members enjoy seeing it. I think I have that now and I thank everyone on the forum for their contribution.

Anyway, I'm open to fair offers. If nothing transpires, I probably will try the Ebay route. From my speaker business, I have many customers in Japan, Hong Kong, and Singapore who have expressed a lot of interest, but I always try to keep vintage equipment in this country, if possible.

It's a sad fact that Americans do not value our audio heritage. For example, my guess is that people in this country would value #14 at less than a single new Khorn would cost. That's ridiculous, of course, but that's the way Americans generally look at things.

For example, a piece of vintage H.H. Scott equipment--which sounds better than almost anything made today--can't fetch $500 when some Jolida crap from China happily sells for $1395. I don't understand it, but that's the way it goes. That's probably why there's more vintage US audio equipment in Japan than there is in the US....

David Dicks

There's over 28,000 forum members here, that love our American audio " Heritage ".  Pun intended. I would love vintage Scott equipment, even for $1395. It's a 50 year old piece of electronics and if it stops working in a few weeks, who's going to be able to repair it correctly, and at what cost ? That's what keeps the value down. Just saying...  

On 1/21/2017 at 7:03 PM, Speed said:

There's over 28,000 forum members here, that love our American audio " Heritage ".  Pun intended. I would love vintage Scott equipment, even for $1395. It's a 50 year old piece of electronics and if it stops working in a few weeks, who's going to be able to repair it correctly, and at what cost ? That's what keeps the value down. Just saying...  

Wholeheartedly disagree... just ask here for service suggestions and you will get plenty of answers.  Craig is my go to guy.

You probably won't have to pay quite that much for vintage Scott but that's about what it would take to get my Fisher 500c.  

Anyone know what happened with this speaker?

• 2 weeks later...