Tuner poll for vintage

Audio Flynn

The grill is shot, but my radio in my office is a ancient Blaupunkt-Drucktasten-Super Sultan (2320) mono radio with a single 7x4oval driver and a EL84 output tube. The previous home-owner left it in his garage for me. Vocals sound quite nice on it: little miss sensitive ears noticed it right away.2.gif

The Marantz Model 10 (&10B) was designed to the theoretical limits of FM transmission. Worldwide SuperStation WFMT here is Chicago still has one. Although they are aware of its value (they wouldn't sell it to me, lol) in practice, they use Yamaha T2's to monitor their signal & to pickup their own signal in Frankfort, IL for worldwide satellite transmision.

So the Marantz gets my vote.

As far as antenna go, I'm using an outside, roof mounted, dual stacked array of large directional Winegards.

And while we're at it, how about the Sequerra Model FM Tuner? This was really the ultimate tuner as far as I know. Hell, afterall, it was Dick Sequerra who actually designed the Marantz 10B!!

Scott LT-110 tuner, kit form bought used.

It matches the Lk-72 integrated amp nicely, similar face plate. With a 9' yagi antenna on the roof the reception is great. It even pulls in stations clearly across Lake Ontario. With a dipole in the basement the reception was okay at best. Any station more than 25 miles away was so-so. Anything from the south side of Lake Ontario was non-existent. Mind you I live in a little dip compared to the surrounding area, not great for radio reception. The yagi really helped.

Don

I've been searching for a tuner that can do a great job with a jazz station 80 miles out. I have a Radio Shack roof antenna aimed the right way. The signal from this station tends to get very noisy at times so quieting is very important. Recent results

Accuphase T-100 Stock, great sound, not that quiet, even with MPX filter and high mute engaged.

Kenwood KT-8300 Stock, sound very nearly as good as the Acccuphase, quieter. This is my favorite analog so far, I may go for the APS rebuild package on this one.

Pioneer TX-9500II Stock, good sound not on the level of the previous tuners, fairly quiet but not the best.

Kenwood KT-7500 Modded by APS, pretty quiet, decent sound, I think I sold this to mdeneen.

Sansui TU-717 Very nice sound and pretty quiet, another modification candidate.

I do want to mention a couple of digitals. I have a Sumo Charlie that sounds wonderful, is very quiet, but not very sensitive. It will kick out all together when signal drops but does not get noisy. Finally, the surprise of my search, a Yamaha TX-540. I bought it by accident thinking it was a TX-950. Very, very sensitive, dead quiet and pretty good sound. Somehow it does all that without even having a coax antenna connector. I'm floored everytime I hook it up. Think I'll get another and send it off for mods. Highly recommended.

Brett Cornwell

I wanted to get one that was a little nice with wood cabinet.

I bought a Kenwood KT-7300 recently but the face is quite pitted and oxidized. It will be OK for the second bedroom system but I would like a better "box" for the living room.

Sansui "717" specs and reviews sound great but it has the black all metal analytical look.

I am thinking the Yamaha CT-800 is a 1974 vintage with build layout friendly fo modding.

It is an objective to pull in a really good classic rock station with limited comercials in Lansing Michigan about 70 miles west of me.

Suburban Detroit radio is at an all time low in quality except for a few cases; the public radio station WDET, an alt rock station from Windsor, Ontario.

The cool Jazz station we call "no jazz". Alto sax and Sade; YUCK.

Putting Sirious satellite digital in my retro 2 channel rig seems like a great idea for variety. And a crappy complement for the retro analog concept.

Having a cd player corrupts the concept just a wee bit.

My favorite analog tuners in order of sound quality: Marantz 10B, Fisher FM200B and the Sansui TU919and 717. The best for distance reception I ever owned was the Mac MR 78 and it did sound very good but not quite to the level of the ones I listed. I know this isn't a popular sentiment but the Denon TU 767 Digital tuner is very good sounding and a relative bargain at around $120. I presently own 14 tuners and love to play. Scott tube tuners are generally good sounding and cheap by tube standards. No matter which tuner you end up with find a good FM tech and get it aligned and you will be amazed at the difference in the sound. Most of the older tuners are way off and the distortion is much higher than spec till you tweak it up. I've bought stereo tuners that had stereo separation of only 8-10 db before being brought up to snuff and then some times they get all the way up to 25 db or more, what a sonic difference. 1.gif1.gif

I stopped in my numero uno Klipsch dealer; Almas HIFI in Dearborn, Michigan and they recommended the MR-78 MAC as a price is no object option as well.

Since you are a newbie but obviously on your "game" in regard to tuner experience; we are all glad to have you contribute!

FYI

Audio Flynn has 4 kids; oldest daughter in pre med and wife working on Masters degree.

So I have to be a real cheap dude until wife gets higher paying public school job.

I cannot get into MAC and other fun stuff for a couple of years.

In reading the fmtunerinfo.com site this can be a good entry level tweaker diversion in working with different tuners, filters, recapping, power supplies and so forth.

Unfortunately we can probably make a better sounding tuner modded out(plus antenna) than most cities can offer in good listening options.

That is why the DX hobby challenge interests me.

I just compared the MX-110 to the kenwood kr-9600 ss. The 110 sounded better, much warmer obviously, but I think I can live with the kenwood. In my basement, using tv rabbit ears taped to the steel shelving, I can get all the Baltimore and DC stations perfectly with the kenwood. It's a huge unit just to be used as a tuner though.

I think I will go for the CT-800 Yamaha.

Not alot of data on it but it has multiple boards for easier mods and was 2nd from the top of the line YAMMY in the early 70s.

And looks nice.

I will whoop on Craig if he refuses to recap it for me.

He is a wimp when it comes to tuners.