Cat Nailed my KG4

horn player

This morning, I saw where out of th blue one of my two cats had a party with one of my KG4's and tore through the top woofer dust cap on one of them. Does Klipsh sell the dust caps or can Klipsch replace the dust cap? If Klipsch does sell just the dust covers, could it be glued directly over the old, or would the old need to be removed first? I think I could carefully pull back all the shreaded pieces and skim a layer of glue on them, but it wouldn't look very good, but I'm more concerned with the functionality and not afecting the sound. Thanks in advance for your comments!

I have heard that you can CAREFULLY cut off the old dust cap (leaving, like 1/4" of it where it's glued to the cone) using an exacto knife, which will leave a nice surface to which you can glue the replacement dust cap.

fini

Yep, just get a new dust cap. If you get one just a bit larger than the original, you ought to be able to glue it on without replacing the original. The small additional mass should not be a problem. If you want to avoid the additional mass, cut out the center of the old one being careful not to damage the cone, voice coil or voice coil wires.

----------------

On 11/2/2003 6:22:40 PM fastlane wrote:

If the dust caps come in pairs, you might think about gluing the extra one to the cat's head. (as a subtle reminder not to mess with the Klipsches) JK

----------------

Attack of the killer cat cone heads...the thought will keep me up at nights.

6.gif

Dude,

Sorry about the damage. I have 3 cats, and would never declaw any of them. They are indoor/outdoor cats, and almost all of the neighbors have dogs. SO they require the claws.

I don't have a problem with my Las. But the corns are decorator models and have unprotected woofers (this model has no grills). So, I covered them with 15" "kicker" mesh woofer covers that get used on boom box wofers and such. They are black metal with a rubber ring and 4 mounting ears. They have protected the woofers perfectly for about 10 years now.

My heresys are a different story. The cats scratch on the grills. For now I just yell at them and they stop. Usually I find one grill completely off. I just got them a couple of months ago and I may need to add the "kicker" covers to them as well and save the grills in the closet.

These grills I am speaking of really look good and do the job well. I hope you don't have to declaw your cats.

----------------

On 11/2/2003 6:22:40 PM fastlane wrote:

If the dust caps come in pairs, you might think about gluing the extra one to the cat's head. (as a subtle reminder not to mess with the Klipsches) JK

----------------

How cute! It's a little early for Hanukkah, but I like the "Yammi-cat" concept...

fini

I figure my declawed cat has a much longer life expectancy than if he did have claws, because I would have killed him by now. :) He can do enough damage with his back claws and teeth.

He's strictly an indoor cat.

Allowing cats to go outside results in reducing their life expectancy by about %75. 3-4 years as opposed to 10-12.

Thanks for all your input. Don't worry, these cats won't loose their claws. I thought I was safe with the KG4's, as the grill covers are tight on them, but she must have got her claws stuck in the grill, and being a huge indoor cat, pulled it off with her weight. I caught her in the act of "plucking" the woofer in my Cornwalls last year (it had a loose grill) and smacked her good and I thought she was cured. She just loves that deep "whump" the woofers make when she claws them.

----------------

Either way you go - good luck................Have your cats/cat being DECLAWED? When I had cats, it was the best 75.00 bucks I ever spent.

----------------

That's BARBARIC! I would give the cat away before cutting off its fingertips.

----------------

Allowing cats to go outside results in reducing their life expectancy by about %75. 3-4 years as opposed to 10-12.

----------------

Nonsense!

Two of my older cats recently died. Both were in/out cats. One was 25, the other 22.

If you had a 25 year old cat you should submit it to the Guniess Book of Records.

We are talking average life expectancy, you obvioulsy have an exception. I see at least one cat a month squished within 1/4 mile of my house. This is a residential, 25mph, low traffic road.

It's not just cars though. Disease and fights with other animals take a toll as well.

They use lasers now for declawing too. As it was related to me by my vet, the put the cat under and simply fry the end of the toes, they don't chop them off anymore. At least not here. I can attest to the fact that my cat was %100 after the sedative wore off.

The average life expectancy of a cat is not 12-14 years. For indoor cats is it more like 18-20.

When I was a kid my cats were declawed. I vowed never again to do that to a cat. It is the lazy way to cure a cat from scratching. Taking away a cat's claws is horrible! How would you like having the first joint of all your fingers removed?!

Regards,

Sean

Right on,declawed cats are handicaped cats,these poor little declawers know alls think cutting a part of the animal fingers is ok.Inflatd dumb baloon heads(oh some feel targeted,good you should).

My cat is 4 years old now,26lbs and no not fat just huge and has all his claws and they are sharp.Could open the declawers eyes with one pass,NEVER scratches any speakers.When he was younger he did bite cables,no longer the case.

All who declaw cats should NOT have cats.Why not remove all teeth from your dog then?

These pesky peeps claim they LOVE animals and yet they handicap them! Funny clowns

Now try to flame me

2.gif

Payback will be severe