The basic question..............

ccsakura

sorry about that I posted after I had 8hours of classes and 16hours of school(yea I was in school for 16hours yesterday).

I was asking about what are the difference between bookshelf speakers, floorstanding speakers and satallite(well the quality does make difference) and is it neccessary for making 3line samultanously?? Just talking in front surround speaker wise in X.1 system(not rear surround or stereo)

I think what sakura is asking is what the major differences are between the three aforementioned speakers types, and how to hook up a 3.1 system.

To put it very very generally, floorstanders/bookshelves/satellites are different in that floorstanders are generally more expensive and many like them best for music without a subwoofer. I personally like floorstanders best, period. Bookshelves are usually cheaper, take up less space, but often require a subwoofer to properly reproduce the full dynamic range of movie or music soundtracks. satellites are basically for budget and/or space conscious folks.

----------------

On 11/6/2003 2:18:05 PM ccsakura wrote:

I was asking about what are the difference between bookshelf speakers, floorstanding speakers and satallite(well the quality does make difference)

----------------

The big difference is mainly just size, and as a result, the bass response will not be as good as you get smaller.

The floorstanders are the big towers, such as the RF-7s. These are usually trully full-range speakers that will have the best bass response, especially the so-called "powered towers". Powered Towers (such as the old RP-5), have powered subwoofers within the speaker cabinents, along with the mid-range and tweeter drivers. The downside is that these types of speakers tends to be pretty large, especially as you move up the line. It seems that many a spouse don't like having these big speakers in thier rooms, and a whole surround sound system made up of these tends to start looking like "Stonehendge"

Bookshelf speakers are usually the "little brother" to the big floorstanding towers, such as the RB-5 vs RF-5. The only real difference is these are made to be put in bookshelfs. The good thing is that tese will fit better in smaller rooms or for those that don't want the big full-sized floorstanders. The downside is that the bass is not as full sounding as the full-sized speakers, thus making a subwoofer a necessity.

Satellites are smaller still than the bookshelfs. These are definitly for the person that does not have a lot of space or do not like the big, boxy speakers. Again, the bass will suffer every more with these. That is why you'll often hear of "sub/sats" systems - subwoofer packaged with 5 (or more) satellite speakers. These systems seems to be very popular with the wives/women of the house, since they are much less intrusive than the larger bookshelfs and floorstanders. Just look how popular the little Bose cubes are, despite the fact that there are often better sounding products out there for less money (which are often just as sleek or stylish). These are also often, but not always, cheaper than the larger speakers.

As to which to get, it entirely depends on your room size, tastes and budget. A general rule of thumb is that larger is often better. Unfortunatly, the larger speakers often take more space, are more expensive, and may be intrusive to a room's general decor.

----------------

and is it neccessary for making 3line samultanously?? Just talking in front surround speaker wise in X.1 system(not rear surround or stereo)

----------------

I don't know what you mean by "neccessary for making 3line samultanously??". I think something is getting lost in the translation here? Just out of curiosity, do you happen to be living in or from Japan or Korea? I am just basing that from your name "Sakura".

If you are asking is the larger speakers necessary for the front three, than I am going to say not really. It is ideal to have the three biggest speakers you can fit in the front, and the three be the same brand/line, or even better, same model. These three speakers, especially the center, makes up most of the sound in a movie, and it is important that they match since there are often a lot of lef/right pans across the front. Unfortunatly, that is not always possible. For example, there was no way I could fit 3 RF-7s in the front of my room, so I had to use the RC-7 (which is in the same line as the RF-7s, but not the same model) for the center channel.

I hope this helps 10.gif

The differences are mostly personal preferance. Usually smaller bookshelf/satellite speakers have limited bass extention requiring a devoted sub-woofer(.1) for the lower frequencies, although with music only they might not be needed. But for movies on DVD, there is a dedicated channel for these low frequencies or LFE(low frequency effects). Tower type speakers are large enough to house a bigger driver(speaker) in most cases. I still do not understand what you mean by "3line samultanously". Are you referring to the Left, Center and Right channels?

----------------

On 11/6/2003 5:24:54 PM skonopa wrote:

The big difference is mainly just size, and as a result, the bass response will not be as good as you get smaller.

The floorstanders are the big towers, such as the RF-7s. These are usually trully full-range speakers that will have the best bass response, especially the so-called "powered towers". Powered Towers (such as the old RP-5), have powered subwoofers within the speaker cabinents, along with the mid-range and tweeter drivers. The downside is that these types of speakers tends to be pretty large, especially as you move up the line. It seems that many a spouse don't like having these big speakers in thier rooms, and a whole surround sound system made up of these tends to start looking like "Stonehendge"

Bookshelf speakers are usually the "little brother" to the big floorstanding towers, such as the RB-5 vs RF-5. The only real difference is these are made to be put in bookshelfs. The good thing is that tese will fit better in smaller rooms or for those that don't want the big full-sized floorstanders. The downside is that the bass is not as full sounding as the full-sized speakers, thus making a subwoofer a necessity.

Satellites are smaller still than the bookshelfs. These are definitly for the person that does not have a lot of space or do not like the big, boxy speakers. Again, the bass will suffer every more with these. That is why you'll often hear of "sub/sats" systems - subwoofer packaged with 5 (or more) satellite speakers. These systems seems to be very popular with the wives/women of the house, since they are much less intrusive than the larger bookshelfs and floorstanders. Just look how popular the little Bose cubes are, despite the fact that there are often better sounding products out there for less money (which are often just as sleek or stylish). These are also often, but not always, cheaper than the larger speakers.

As to which to get, it entirely depends on your room size, tastes and budget. A general rule of thumb is that larger is often better. Unfortunatly, the larger speakers often take more space, are more expensive, and may be intrusive to a room's general decor.

I don't know what you mean by "neccessary for making 3line samultanously??". I think something is getting lost in the translation here? Just out of curiosity, do you happen to be living in or from Japan or Korea? I am just basing that from your name "Sakura".

If you are asking is the larger speakers necessary for the front three, than I am going to say not really. It is ideal to have the three biggest speakers you can fit in the front, and the three be the same brand/line, or even better, same model. These three speakers, especially the center, makes up most of the sound in a movie, and it is important that they match since there are often a lot of lef/right pans across the front. Unfortunatly, that is not always possible. For example, there was no way I could fit 3 RF-7s in the front of my room, so I had to use the RC-7 (which is in the same line as the RF-7s, but not the same model) for the center channel.

I hope this helps
10.gif

----------------

Thanks for detail answer. It let me understood why do the bookshelf speakers and tower speakers have more than 1 input 9.gif . I was trying to figure this out everytime I went some shops that sell speakers 14.gif

Three lines of speakers meant the tower/bookshelf and satallite speakers...... sorry my bad English(not a native speaker tho...).

Sakura was a japanese name/flower but I picked from an animate only 9.gif ..... settling in long island but not out of state 12.gif

Thanks alot

ccsakura,

The dual inputs like on a Klipsch RF-3, etc. are a provision to bi-wire (two wires to the same speaker one for highs, one for bass) They are connected by a gold plated bress jumper for normal operation. As long as the jumper is in place you can hook your speaker wires to either set of terminals and enjoy.

Rick

----------------

On 11/6/2003 9:21:44 PM 3dzapper wrote:

ccsakura,

The dual inputs like on a Klipsch RF-3, etc. are a provision to bi-wire (two wires to the same speaker one for highs, one for bass) They are connected by a gold plated bress jumper for normal operation. As long as the jumper is in place you can hook your speaker wires to either set of terminals and enjoy.

Rick

----------------

Thanks for another info about the dual input!! 12.gif

I think I'll get a pair of bookshelf speakers in the future and see the difference 9.gif (all are satellite in this moment 14.gif )

----------------

On 11/6/2003 7:36:50 PM ccsakura wrote:

Thanks for detail answer. It let me understood why do the bookshelf speakers and tower speakers have more than 1 input
9.gif
. I was trying to figure this out everytime I went some shops that sell speakers
14.gif

----------------

As '3dzapper' explained above, the dual inputs on the back of the speakers (the two sets of binding posts), allows you to run seperate wires for the high-frequency and low-frequency signals, thus "bi-wiring". This is supposedly helps to keep the bass from getting muddied up with the high-frequencies as well as help the high-frequecies to sound more detailed. The truly hard-core may run a seperate amplifier to each input, thus the term "bi-amping" speakers. I have my RF-7s and front RC-7 bi-wired. I honostly don't know how much of a difference in the sound it makes, but I figured 'what the hell - it sound cool anyway'. 10.gif

----------------

Three lines of speakers meant the tower/bookshelf and satallite speakers...... sorry my bad English(not a native speaker tho...).

----------------

Ahhh, okay - I undersand now! You were wondering why they make the 3 different lines of speakers at the same time. Simple, to cater to the different segments of the market. Not everybody wants or can afford the big floorstanders, so they may opt for the smaller bookshelfs. There will be people that don't even want something as large as the bookshelfs, or can even afford those, so thus the yet still smaller satellites. Even with in the individual lines, there are the various models. For example in the case of the Klipsch Reference series floorstanding speakers, they have the RF-15 at the lowest end all the way up to the big RF-7s (which is what I have). This caters to those that want the floorstanding speakers, but want a model that will fit in thier room and/or budget.

Just the same with cars. Not everybody wants a big SUV or truck, so they opt for a sedan. Then there are those that may not want or can afford a sedan, so they go for the smaller hatchback or sub-compact, i.e, the VW Beetle.

----------------

Sakura was a japanese name/flower but I picked from an animate only
9.gif
..... settling in long island but not out of state
12.gif

Thanks alot

----------------

That's cool, I was wondering if you cribbed that from Anime or not. Anyway, that is what this forum is for and we are glad to help. Welcome to the boards.

----------------

On 11/6/2003 11:10:04 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

----------------

Ahhh, okay - I undersand now! You were wondering why they make the 3 different lines of speakers at the same time. Simple, to cater to the different segments of the market. Not everybody wants or can afford the big floorstanders, so they may opt for the smaller bookshelfs. There will be people that don't even want something as large as the bookshelfs, or can even afford those, so thus the yet still smaller satellites. Even with in the individual lines, there are the various models. For example in the case of the Klipsch Reference series floorstanding speakers, they have the RF-15 at the lowest end all the way up to the big RF-7s (which is what I have). This caters to those that want the floorstanding speakers, but want a model that will fit in thier room and/or budget.

Just the same with cars. Not everybody wants a big SUV or truck, so they opt for a sedan. Then there are those that may not want or can afford a sedan, so they go for the smaller hatchback or sub-compact, i.e, the VW Beetle.

That's cool, I was wondering if you cribbed that from Anime or not. Anyway, that is what this forum is for and we are glad to help. Welcome to the boards.

----------------

Thanks for anotehr explanation about the speakers. And I started to figure out my satallite aren't big enough for my bedroom(just moved into a new room that's 15ftx20ft or just an excuse for buyin new speakers 3.gif ).

Cool I love warm welcome 9.gif Thanks 12.gif