Putting a plywood board under your subwoofer?

I have had my Klipsch 4.1 system (original ones) for about 8 to 10 months now. At the beginning of the year I put a piece of 3/8 inch plywood under the subwoofer. Which made a huge difference. Then about 3 months ago I saw an ad for some round cones you can put under speakers (point facing down) so carpet will not muffle the sound so much. So I put 4 to 6 screws in the plywood (points facing down), and the bottom of the board is now about 1/4 inch above the top surface of the carpet. The screws go all the way threw the carpet and carpet padding to the floor board under the carpet padding. The sound is much better and the walls vibrate a little more than before (at high volumes), especially the windows (the sub is less than 3 feet from my floor to ceiling window). I can feel the bass in the floor better too. I would strongly suggest trying this, it cost me less than $5 for the piece of wood and screws. I already had a saw and screwdriver.

If you look on my website you can see what I have on my pc. I am planning on putting some pictures out there. As soon as I take the pictures.

Please let me know your opinions on this, whether you try it or not.

Dayton

This message has been edited by daytontp on 06-03-2001 at 04:17 PM

The pictures are on my website now. Please give any opinions you may like, but try not to be rude. Also let me know if you have any problems with the site. I have checked all the links, so everything should work.

For those of y'all that keep sending me messages because you can not find my website address on this thread. Look below.

http://www.geocities.com/daytontp/index.html

Ugh, you have a DELL. Next time you are looking to upgrade check out GStechnical.com. I used to work for Dell as a tech. You have probably called and spoken with me or one of the owners of GStech, they all worked for dell at one point or another. Anyway, as far as the sub, it looks good, might try painting the board, but I don't see how it would affect sound other then provideing a direct link from the sub to the baseboards in the floor. Since the sub isn't a downfire it has minimal effect. But pretty good idea if you ask me.

Hey what model Audi is that. I have a BMW M3 330 csi X4 50/50, euro model, wanna race?

------------------

Real life is just another window on my desktop!

-The Shadow

Not the car I have, but the car I want. I actually have a 2000 Honda Civic EX coupe. This car is not sold in the USA yet. But anyway, it is a 2002 Audi A4 3.0L V6, with 222 bhp and 228 ftlbs torgue. These stats may be off by 5 or so.

Dayton

I also have my sub on a piece of ply wood, and the Ply wood on 2 3 foot tall (1 foot wide (squares) Small desk/shelves. Each one has 2 small shelves in them.

My sub preforms alot better there than it did when I had it under my desk on the ground.

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

Klipsch Pro Media v2 400 ( soon to be 4.1 )

2 Fisher STV-873's on front channel

2 Fisher surrounds on rear channel

http://216.37.9.58/ubb/uploads/DwK/subplace.JPG

A pic. Hopefuly you can see the sub, and the stands, its at the bottom left, the pictures are kinda dark.

You can also see where I have my control pod (its the light on the front of my computer)

I have it in my empty 3.5 bay.

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

Hey DaytonP,

I noticed that you have the ATI 64 MB Radeon ViVo graphics card. How much did you pay for that thing anyways? I am thinking about buying one, but I am not sure about it, since it is so expensive. Also, have you tried outputting it to a regular TV?

thanks

-jeff

Thanks for the picture DwK. I messed around with the color a little bit and could see it a little better.

As for the ATI 64MB ViVo, I paid $219.00 on http://www.emscomputing.com about 5 months ago. I like the card a lot and for the price I think it is still an excellent card. I just looked on http://www.pricewatch.com and you can get a retail box version of this card for $155 plus shipping. For $155 this card will outperform any GeForce 2 MX card on the market. I think Best Buy even has them for $159 to $179, depending on sales. If you get one, get a retail, because the OEMs are clocked slower, processor core and memory. They both 180 MHz on a retail and 168 MHz on an OEM.

I have had an EXTREMELY BAD PROBLEM occur twice on me in Windows 98 SE. I had to reformat the hard drive and reinstall Windows twice because of it. All due to a registry setting being changed during a driver update. I am not sure how much you know about resolutions and refresh rates, and how they are linked. Resolution is the number of pixels per inch (or something to that nature) and the refresh rate is the speed at which the image is flashed on the screen. And, the higher the resolution the lower your potential refresh rate can be set.

Well, I was updating the drivers which worked fine. Another thing, when you install new video drivers you should set your drivers to Default Video Adapter and set a low resolution. Which I did. Then reboot and install the new drivers. Which I did. Everything was honky doory. Then I set my screen resolution to 1280x1024 and the refresh rate to 75Hz, which is supported by this card and monitor (19" FD Trinitron). When I rebooted, somehow my refresh rate was being maxxed out to 200Hz. I exported the registry through DOS to a *.txt file and looked at it in Word 97 on my Windows 2000 Prof boot. Which the card and monitor can only handle 95Hz at this resolution. Do not ask me how this was happening. But after I got the Windows 98 SE splash screen, I lost the signal and got a monitor based error message "OUT OF SCAN RANGE". I upgraded to Windows ME on the second reformat-reinstall. On my Windows ME boot, I only run 1024x768 and 70Hz and have not had one problem yet.

I could fix this in Safe Mode, but I could not enter Safe Mode in Windows 98 SE, because due to the multi boot menu. Any method to enter the Safe Mode for Windows 98 SE will take you into the Safe Mode menu for Windows 2000. So I was f***** and had to reinstall. If you are not running a dual boot I would not worry about it too much, but you could potential have the same problem.

I have tried using the ViVo features with a VCR and TV setup. It works great. The picture will not look as good on the tv, because a non-HDTV tv has only 260-ish lines of resolution. Some DVDs will appear scrambled and some will not, when going through a VCR. Even some will look fine until the DVD starts and then they scramble, other switch between scramble and not scrambled and back every 5 to 10 minutes. Very, very frustraating. Also, you have to output the sound from your sound card to hear any audio. The ViVO feature has no audio outputs, the S-Video only outputs video not any audio. This is where you will be better off with an All-In-Wonder card.

If you have any more ?'s let me know. I will be glad to inform you.

Dayton

This message has been edited by daytontp on 06-08-2001 at 10:38 PM

Hey,

Thanks for the help man. I have a couple more questions.

1)I can use the ATI for video output, and I can also use the SoundBlaster 5.1 for Dolby sound from DVDs right? Thats my plan.

2)I am really ignorant on the subject, but the Radeon is a video card right? So, do I still need to buy a graphic accelerator card as well, like a Voodoo or something?

thanks for the help

-jeff

The hardware you are planning to use will work. I can not tell you that some DVDs may appear scrambled or not. But if you have all the correct cables, it will work. If you are not planning on playing games, you may consider the 32MB All-In-Wonder Radeon card. It already has the cables you will need, and it has many more features with this. With any of the new cards on the market today, you will not need to buy any other cards. See the links below for some reviews of these cards on the internet.

Before I got this PC in January 2000, I did not know that much about PCs either. You just need to realize a certain fact. As long as the hardware in your PC does not break, there is nothing you can do to your PC that can not be fixed or worked around.

One thing that may help increase your learning curve is to read a lot of reviews on the internet. See the following websites and you will understand. Once you look at these, you will start to find 100's of more sites.

Good websites:

http://www.anandtech.com

http://www.tomshardware.com

http://www.theregister.co.uk

http://www.gamersdepot.com

http://www.ocworkbench.com

Lets not forget the best site for looking up info:

http://www.microsoft.com

Dayton

Corey here are some other sites you can look at.

www.firingsquad.com

www.sharkyextreme.com

each of them will have reviews of the ATI Radeon and the ATI Radeon All in Wonder.

The ATI Radeon is a powerful 3D accelerator. And a good DVD decoder.

As a 3D accelerator it falls short of the GeForce 2 GTS, and any GeForce 3 board.

As a Decoder card, its a very descent decoder, ATI has always been good at that sort of thing.

The ATI all in wonder will give you TV out, TV in I believe, and many other nifty things. And will still run your games well. But it will cost you, to have all those extra features.

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

Oh yea.

Yes, you will be able to use the Radeon to watch Movies on your TV, and then use your SoundBlaster to output the sound to your speakers.

I use a Hollywood Plus Decoder Card, ( VERY good)

http://www.sigmadesigns.com/products/hollywood_plus.html

And use my Pro Medias still.

------------------

K6-2 450

SB Live Value ( not 5.1)

To daytontp,

I have been seriously considering a Dell P991 and want to know how you are liking yours so far? Why only 1280 x 1024 at 75Hz? I thought it could handle 1280 x 1024 at 85Hz! What's up?

I have a NVidia GeForce 2 Ultra and a crap Dell E770 monitor. I seriously need a new monitor!