Big Screens and Dust

SCOOTERDOG

Well last week my big screen took a dump. The service guy came out on Monday and knew exactly what the problem was. Turned out to be a chip that controls the green gun. So after a $200.00 for the service call and a $50.00 for the part I was on my way. He was kind enough to clean the whole unit. He took off the front screen to expose the guns and the mirror. To my surprise they were so dusty I couldn't believe that I was still getting a decent picture. He cleaned the lenses and the mirror, refocused evreything and then went on to do a convergence using this little box that I wish I owened. When all was said and done my picture was just outstanding. So much crisper and clear. He said that all you have to do is remove the screws that hold the front screen on and clean the lenses and mirror about twice a year and you will keep that nice crisp picture. So for those of you that have big screens and have never done this. Get out the phillips screw driver, your bottle of windex and a soft cloth and clean away.

You to will realize the clarity that you deserve

Scooterdog

I did that to mine not to long ago due to cobwebs, I thought they were actually between the screen protector and the screen but it turns out they were behind it. The mirror in there was filthy and had a film on it. I gave it a thorough wipe down and clean up. I thought the picture was nice before until I cleaned up the internals. My set has an auto convergence feature that I ran after the cleaning so I did not need the box. Quite a few screws to remove to get the front off. It is so big you need two people to remove and reposition it back on though.

This forum is great! With the combined knowledge of the members here, almost anything is possible! Just think of how many years of experience are posessed by all the members combined. Without this forum, I probably wouldn't have decided to build a subwoofer. But, thanks to all the members here, I have decided that adire's tempest shall be my next purchase.

I have a question. What is the source of the dust and how does it get inside?

Many years ago I bought a suitcase IBM computer, used. This was when the PS2's just came on line. The dealer was forced to take PC's as trade ins. The saleman said it was a creampuff because it was only used in an office. Not quite; on boot the fan made a sound like a dentist drill, and the guy reduced the price.

I took it apart to replace the fan and found so much dust, more like dark wheat flour, that I became convinced it had been used on a construction site. Grrr. But I loved it. Really well built. The IBM equivalent of a Compaq suitcase.

Then I upgraded the office IBM PC computers to add a hard drive. Yeah, that long ago. There was the same sort of dust in some, not in others. All of these had been purchased new and sat in a big office suite up until that time.

Finally the answer became clear. The dusty computers were used by people who smoked cigarettes while working in front of them. The forced air cooling drew in the smoke, which had a fair amount of particles, and the particulates settled inside.

So, back to the question. Does the RPTV have a fan, and is there a smoker in the house?

I'm curious.

Best,

Gil

Very interesting. I should not be so quick to blame smokers. I do smoke, but in much more moderation than I used to.

Sharper Image sells its variation on an electrostatic precipitator for big bucks. However, it seems like our computers, and perhaps RPTVs are doing the same. Something to think about.

Honey, the new RPTV and computers will remove harmful allegens and dust, making our life more healthful.

Gil

I have a maintenance contract on my set. They come out once a year to clean and adjust the set. After seeing how dusty the guns get I started cleaning them once in between their visits. This means the set gets cleaned every six months. The picture always looks brighter after the cleaning.

• 1 month later...

I had some remodeling done on my basement and the HVAC (furnace) sucked all the dust from the drywall and deposited it all over the place after cleaning all that up and changing filters something said look in the backof your RPTV it had enough dust to film a movie so i cleaned it broke out the THX Optimizer and voila new picture after that i cleaned it twice a year every year until bought my HDTV cleaning your set is very important extends tyhe life of your tv because the crt's are just burning the dust into the lense killing your pictureby the way the new HDTV is superb I cant go back to standard tv.

Soft cotton always, and Never paper towels... Might scratch. just my 2 cents.. I helped my sister do hers and BOY what a difference. She bought a great Mitsubishi at a garage sale.. They thought it was ggoing bad in a basement.. 300 dollar purchase...50 inch screen. It was just dirty is all.

HUGE improvement.

On the outside screen, both inside and viwers side.....warm water, nothing else if you have a plastic screen...Again cotton. Hope this helps.

Hi All

A little word of caution here

Know what you are doing ,how to do it, and what tools to do it with. Some sets are very hard to service and you can damage yourself or your RP very easy if you don't know the procedure (Be very careful with Pioneer/Pioneer Elite)

If you try to go in through the back the mirror will dislodge and come crashing through the front of the set

and on some Rear projectors if you are not careful removing the front you could scratch the entire screen with the hardware Before any service unplug the set and let it sit for 10 minutes. Always wear a static

bracelet when servicing your set .

Rear projectors should be cleaned and calibrated every year or so This includes cleaning the CRTs,

(Do not disassemble CRT from lens assembly unless you know what you are doing)

(Windex can remove protective finish on crt lens) NEVER SPRAY ANYTHING ONTO THE CRT!

Moister can get trapped between the CRT face and the lens creating a permanent fog . A slightly damp baby diaper works fine. Rub in one direction do not rub hard, leaving the streaks is better than rubbing in a mark on the lense the Mirror can be cleaned the same way

The electronics package should be cleaned. Cover the CRTs first then You can blow off the electronics package with non moisture compressed canned air this should be done first I use a small wet vac while I blow the dust off

so the dust does not fly everywhere Try to minimize the amount of dust that is blown upward into the CRT area Tubes should never be touched with your hands (Not the crts the tubes below ) also do not touch the yoke on the tubes unless your set is way off and needs major calibration (raster centering/astigmatism adjustment) a full center and edge mechanical focus should be done

If you don't know how the crt should be focused with a dot pattern or a pattern generator leave it alone

electronic focus should be touched up using the focus block The blue crt should be slightly defocused for better gray scale tracking do not touch the screen level pots unless you have the voltage spec after all this is done you can go into the service menu and start the electronic calibration/geometry portion of the service

If you want to go into your set to do a little cleaning just be careful If you don't have a service manual

and do not understand how the controls work leave all adjustments alone and call an ISF calibrator

Here is a little tweak for the DIY Guys and Gals that are going in to clean there sets

at there own risk

When you remove the screen you will see the mirror directly in front of you

you will also notice wood or plastic on the sides top and bottom around the mirror (mirror housing)

this material is most often painted black or is black or it can have no paint at all. The reason the manufactures paint it black is to minimize reflectivity around the mirror. Black paint helps but if you want to

improve the performance of your set by minimizing reflectivity inside you cabinet consider applying

Fireproof Duvetyne to the sides, top and bottom around the mirror. If you have a wood enclosure you can staple it If you have a plastic enclosure you can glue it DO Not spray any glue inside the cabinet

apply the glue to the Duvetyne until tacky then apply to the enclosure this prevents anything dripping on crts , mirror or anything else

It is also a good idea to cover the CRTs wile working on your set If you don't have lense covers

old stretched out tube socks work well The Duvetyne will absorb reflected light bounce in your cabinet and improve contrast and black level This is a simple tweak that takes a couple of hours cost is about $25

Take your time when installing it cut out around the crt table if you are installing it on the bottom

keep it away from the electronics it only needs to be in the upper section of the mirror housing

Hope this helps

Duvetyne is available at Rose Brand or Set Shop and Show Biz Enterprises

RLA Home Theater & Hi-Fi

Your Inland Empire THX Certified Dealer/Installer

www.rlahometheater.com