Klipsch vs Bottlehead str8 8

Hofy

I have NOT heard the Bottlehead line driver array Straight 8s, though I did hear the incredible Nearfield Pipedreams, which are the ultimate expression of the line driver array methods (http://www.nearfieldacoustics.com/).

I reviewed the Almost Excellent! Axiom Audio Millennia M80Ti Line Driver Arrays (http://enjoythemusic.com/magazine/archives/), which are a very practical application of this technology. I said The M80Tis are not as quick, dynamic or punchy as the small Axiom M3Tis, TS1s or my big old horns The M80Ti loudspeakers set the mid-mark in almost every respect, compared to all other loudspeakers reviewed here, with an unbelievably low price. Axiom loudspeakers make you wonder why so many other loudspeakers are so expensive. They sound quite very clear and well defined. They are open, spacious and airy enough for all but the most discerning audiophile, with quite low distortion. The speakers do have strong almost authoritative bass, thanks to their multiple driver arrays. Overall conformity across the musical bandwidth is consistently highthe well-defined bass, overall presence, and the "happy to be playing" charm of the M80Tis - not to mention the high-tech array of six silver cones and domes - makes the towers an excellent value; far superior to most retail fare.

Even so, they do NOT share the same amazing efficiency, dynamics, mid-range clarity, low distortion and wide/tall soundstage of big ole horns. Strangely enough, both line driver arrays and single-driver loudspeakers can give big ole horns a run for the money for efficiency, quickness, soundstage, accuracy and charming lows and highs.

2.gif

Well, haven't heard Klipsch Heritage speakers and Straight 8's back to back, but I've heard the Straight 8's several times, mostly Steve Culton's pair. Steve now has the modified crossovers (fairly) recommended by Doc B and company. The Straight 8's do have deep and full bass, but overall I really don't like them too much. They don't image in any meaningful sense of the word. I equate this with the multiple driver array, but that's just an opinion. They are also sort of "undynamic", even though they are quite efficent.

The last time Steve Culton had a Bottlehead get-together "DaveJ" 's Fostex FE-207E's in small BR cabinets did the "SET magic" thing 'way better for me than the Straight 8's do.

Colin, great review, enjoyed it much.

Mark, I've had the opportunity to hear Steve's and other Straight 8's. I've

draged my Cornwalls to steve's home for a mtg and had both speakers side by side.

Steve is a high caliber host with a finely tune Bottlehead system.

It's only my own taste speaking here when I say the Corns float my boat more sweetly

than the 8's. The midrange and dynamics of the Cornwalls seems to tickle me each

time I give'em the gas. I never grow tired of them. Remember the Klipsch

signature midrange is more forward, "in your face" some have discribed it.

My ears never fatigue however, and the hours disappear alomge with the speakers.

Check out my Cornwalls at Steve's with a forest of other speakers.

http://www.uvm.edu/~rboles/audio/ne_bot_may-17-03.html

Reg

I saw your Cornies there, but I had to leave before they went on-line.

I don't like to drag mine around... they're not quite portable enough for my tastes!

And yes, Steve is a great host, and makes possibly the best ribs that I've ever eaten.

I am a big Bottlehead fan (using Paramours and a Seduction in the "real" hi-fi system in the house), and I wanted to like the Straight 8's, but they don't do it for me either.

I did REALLY like the FE207-E's that "DaveJ" brought to Steve's last do, though. I could live with those, especially for the money!

Unfortuntely (?), my next project is probably to get some appropriate boxes built for a pair of Altec 604B duplexes that are currently serving as massive paperweights on my workbench :-)