Most original movie concepts?

minn_male42

Yes, we definitely have to add Fight Club.

Add:

Trainspotting

A Clockwork Orange

Apocalypse Now

I just saw "28 Days", and was pleasently surprised.

The guy who did Memento also did a movie before it, filmed in black and white called "Pi" -- also excellent, and a little creepy.

The guy who did Memento *did* do a black and white , excellent creepy movie before he did memento, but it was called "The following".

The guy who did Requiem for A Dream did a creepy black and white excellent movie before he did Requiem, and *it* was called PI.

-MKL

• Like 1

----------------

On 11/16/2003 9:20:14 PM DeanG wrote:

I just saw "28 Days", and was pleasently surprised.

----------------

Dean,

I, too, really enjoyed 28 Days but this is titled "Most original movie concepts" and George Remaro did this over 35 years ago with Night of the living dead (a classic by the way).

He followed it up with Dawn of the dead in 1978-Day of the dead in 1985-and the poor remake of Night of the living dead in 1990.

There is talk about Dusk of the dead coming soon but I'll be surprised if it comes about.

Jeff

If you want to add books, Stephen King's "The Dark Tower" series. Listen to it on tape, read by Frank Muller (greatest books on tape reader of all time). I've listened to the series 3 times. The fifth book in the series came out a couple weeks ago. It's a truely amazing story. I'm assuming it'll eventually become a movie or mini series.

I don't think many of the movies reference above are really some of the "most Original Move Concepts." Matrix is really just "The 13th Floor" with way better special effects and a better story line, but it's not that different. Same storyline - reality is a machine created virtual reality. Pi definately qualifies.

I'd submit:

Fritz Lang's Metropolis (The first real science fiction movie)

Metropolis_Rep.jpg

Disney's Steamboat Willie, the first significant Mickey Mouse movie

steamboatwillie.jpg

The Sheik, with Rudolf Valentino - the first big movie to imply that the leading actors actually had sex (in this case, rape...)

MP26.jpg

The *ORIGINAL* (F.W. Murnau's 1922 version) of Nosferatu, arguably the first horror flick, starring Max Schreck

nos_in_door.jpg

----------------

On 11/16/2003 11:21:18 PM DeanG wrote:

Gary, I read The Dark Tower series too.

Who do you picture playing the part of the Gunslinger?

----------------

Dean,

I'll have to give that one some thought. A slightly younger Clint Eastwood would have been about right I think.

Have you ever listened to them on tape? I've done both and Frank Muller adds so much to the story. It's hard to describe. I think it's a brilliant series and many of King's novels revolve around it. I think it's by far his greatest work. I'm looking forward to the 5th although I've heard he already finished the series (7 total). He also re-wrote "The Gunslinger" adding charactors from other novels that are tied in to the story such as Ted from "Hearts of Atlantis." He is a "breaker" in that novel which is a role we don't quite understand fully yet. Also, the kid from "Insomnia" is a future breaker.

Unfortunately, Frank Muller had a bad mototcycle accident a couple years ago and George Guidall will be doing the reading from here on and also read the revised 1st story. He's good but not in Frank's league.