Rega Planet or AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000

kuisis

I have the AH! I also have The Musical Fidelity A3 cd player, which is a great performer in the musicality dept.

The Ah! comes in first, more resolution & warmth is what it has over the MF while still staying very musical, it narrowed the gap between analog & digital preference.

The tube output along with the upgraded DAC you can buy will give analog performance with well made cd's, Ive even read it holds its own next to SACD.

Read Stereophiles this months edition, the reviewer came across as being in "AH" with this player.

Tom

I haven't had the opportunity to hear the Rega, however, it was on my short list when researching candidates. Ended up with the Tjoebs 400 and later upgraded with the upsampler... Never looked back. This sounds fabulous.

Later ran across a deal on a Heart 6000, which is another Dutch Marantz to tube conversion. It's fine and a heavier build than the Tjoebs. I use it in a second system, but my preference is the Tjoebs.

Also found Kevin at Upscale Audio to be helpful in sorting out options, etc.

----------------

On 11/22/2003 10:02:19 AM NOSValves wrote:

I personally have not heard either but my gut tells me the AH ! would be the better choice for various reasons.

Craig

----------------

NOSValves,

This is really unbelievable. How can you post a statement like this if you have NO experience with either? So please do tell us why "the AH ! would be the better choice for various reasons."

Klipsch out.

Edmond,

Your really not worth a reply !

But here goes

TUBE OUTPUT !!!!

24/96 upgrade available

Easy to upgrade various parts within the unit BY THE USER to tailor the sound to there liking. Oh for your childish a$$ I better qualify this also... the tubes and the op amps are user replaceable as is the 24/96 upgrade board.

The CD player has awesome comments all over the NET enough for me to contact Kevin and look into it myself.

The Rega is mediocre at best in my opinion even the original which I have heard which is supposedly better the latest version. I'd take my Sony ES over the original Rega !

Craig

Grow up !!

----------------

On 11/22/2003 3:52:46 PM NOSValves wrote:

Edmond,

Your really not worth a reply !

But here goes

TUBE OUTPUT !!!!

24/96 upgrade available

Easy to upgrade various parts within the unit BY THE USER to tailor the sound to there liking. Oh for your childish a$$ I better qualify this also... the tubes and the op amps are user replaceable as is the 24/96 upgrade board.

The CD player has awesome comments all over the NET enough for me to contact Kevin and look into it myself.

The Rega is mediocre at best in my opinion even the original which I have heard which is supposedly better the latest version. I'd take my Sony ES over the original Rega !

Craig

Grow up !!

----------------

NOSValves,

Here we are again dealing with you calling me names. This time it's merely because I asked you to explain yourself for maiking a statement about equipment you've NEVER heard. I hope all of your supporters take note of this. So instead of calling me "childish a$$", or telling me to grow up, first take a look in the mirror and tell it to the person you see there.

I own BOTH the Rega Planet AND the AH! 99 with all the mods available for that unit. I've spent extensive time listening to BOTH, and though they are close, "I" prefer the Rega based on it's overall presentation. I can state that I don't believe one would be disappointed with owning either CD player. Much depends on the type of presentation preferred, and that's a very individual choice. Replacing op amps, tubes, and additional mods can throw the AH! 4000 into another price category altogether, which then makes the Rega Planet an even better value.

As usual Mr. NOSValves, you're a bit too full of yourself and bull**** up to your gills. I'm providing my opinion based on actual listening experience. I have no idea what you are using as a base line reference. I'm also a bit weary of your penchant to call me names because you are unable to intelligently respond after spouting your bull, and being called on it. I can only imagine who's going to come to your rescue, claiming you didn't mean it, or you're being picked on, or whatever. P_L_E_A_S_E!

Klipsch out.

back on topic, Rega Planet, hands down.

Haven't heard the Ah! or any of it's bretheren but I have heard the Planet.

I would discount whatever they said in Stereophile just because they are a bunch of smarmymouthed doubletalkers that you often need to read between the lines to grasp.

I object 100% in the concept of replacing a few parts, such as op amps, and reaping huge benefits. Or of tacking on a tube output stage to do something or another to the sound - presumably make it savory for the audio-holic.

Good performance comes from good design and yes, good parts. Mediocre design and good parts does not equate to success.

The reason I think these units are well received is that with CD players the bar is set pretty high, and differences are subtle and take weeks if not months to suss out. Once you are out of the budget-player market, the knee curve in performance is pretty high and hard to differentiate.

I've been through a dozen players in the last few years and believe me, I know, from hard experience, how difficult it is to hear differences in them all.

So, back to cases, the Rega seems the better choice in my humble opinion.

Of course if you hear mounds of differences and get a b*ner just listening to an Ah! tjoeb then you should buy one and the hell with what I think or say.

----------------

On 11/22/2003 6:00:41 PM NOSValves wrote:

Edmond,

I never say a darn thing to you until prevoked ! Just go away ! Craig

oh and trust me your ears would be the last I would trust in this forum !!

----------------

NOSValves,

Again the pitiful excuse, when there is none, that you were provoked because I called you on something you wrote about, with which you have no experience. That is typical NOS behavior. Your ignorance is abundant, and more than apparent here. I'm not the one who pretends as if he knows about things he doesn't. I do not comment on things which I have no knowledge of. Why don't you try to do the same. As usual, to challenge anything said by NOSValves means an onslaught of poison pen proportions. Your attempts to bully to cover up your ingnorance, I hope is not going unnoticed.

And speaking of whose ears to trust. Who's opinion should have more weight? One who actually has both CD players, or one who's speculating? I make a point to listen to many systems and components, as well as correspond with those who have more audio knowledge and experience than you, to increase my knowledge base. I'm not so arrogant as to think I can shovel just any bullhit opinion in front of people and expect them to believe it. I suggest you wake up and smell the **** you're shoveling. It stinks!

Klipsch out.

C&S,

It required more than a few minutes of listening to flesh out the differences of the two units. Even more to determine which presentation is most preferred by the individual. I will emphasize the use of quality interconnects with the Rega. This is also plainly stated in the Rega users manual. Tube rolling can assist with fine tuning the presentation of the AH! on the other hand.

Klipsch out.

I have done a comparison between both units as well. I think both offer a GREAT deal for the money. Ultimately, in side by sides comparions over a weekend, I found the Rega to be the more cohessive player, offering a more natural and real sound from top to bottom. Audrey stated that it sounded more "realistic" and I added that it sounded more "as a whole." The Tjoeb seems to exhibit a presentation that is slightly more pulled apart which tends to lose just a bit of timing.

Both players are much more analog sounding that almost all the players in this price bracket. I think the Tjoeb does an excellent job with presenting a soundstage with good space. But the Rega has a better lower midrange drive and perhaps a more beefy sound with a better foundation.

Both have a good top end but I actually think the Rega has the more analog and NON DIGITAL sound of the two. It wins the awared here and sounds more natural to boot.

The GREAT news is that you can buy either and I think be VERY happy. The Rega wins the ergonomics award easily but the Tjoeb wins the tunability award with the tube rolling aspect.

Both do better with quality interconnects although I think this is even more imperative with the Rega. The Rega is definitely built better in my view.

But I came to the conclusion that if going to with a standard CD player, you could not really lose with either.

For Craig to state it's "mediocre at best" is really amazing as I agree with Edmond, it takes some IN HOME time with a CD player to ascertain the differences. And the Rega is ANYTHING BUT mediocre. It's something I would NEVER say about the tjoeb or the Rega. Both offer excellent sonics, though different.

Given the choice between USED versions of each, the Rega would be mine. But I wouldnt toss out a Tjoeb at all.

kh

ps - Allan Songer is another one here that OWNS both the Rega Planet and an EARLY Tjoeb player. He prefers the Rega but a large margin but his Tjoeb was one of the first units over.

I thought I would add a bit more information to my intial post. I just bought my first tube amp, a 222-c from another forum member and don't think my Sony five disc will cut it any more. I have a room that is almost a perfect square with ten foot ceilings. I have la scala speakers. I thought the speakers sounded great with my old sherwood, but after reading post on here I bought an HK 730 and the difference was astounding. I figure the same with the Scott. The only other thing that needs(?)

to be updated is my cd player. I narrowed it down to these two cd players and knew forum members wouldn't be afraid to give me their two cents. I listen to alot of Bluegrass but have been getting into jazz since I got this system, go figure. I hope this helps

Is the Toejob AH! a stock unit which has been modified by yet another company (in the Netherlands)? Given that the Rega is also a non-US company, I am wondering about the complications of future maintenance etc. I already do have the original Rega and am totally satisfied with the sound. I am thinking about the possibility of a second system and thought maybe of investigating another unit, not that I have ruled out simply getting another Rega. Another question would be if anyone thought the new Rega units were worth the price difference?

C&S

Edmond,

The fact of the matter when it comes to the current Ah ! product or the Rega offering you have no right to chime in here either ! You have never heard them either ! There both completely different new products and reviewers have stated great things about the new player from Ah ! and some have said the new Rega is not as good as the original. I believe Kelly has not heard the current Ah ! product either in fact the only person on this forum that has as far as I know is Tom LaCourte and he absolutely gives it the thumbs up. Comparing the Ah! 99 version to the Old Rega is pretty silly isn't it ?

You really need to take your anger out on someone else for once its getting old !

Craig

Clipped the latest Ah ! product is a Marantz CD 4000 player modified with a tube output section and upgraded op amps basically the use the original disc handleling setup and install a all new output and audio handleling system. Yes there from the Netherlands !

I still cannot phathom why people are basing there opinion on out of date products . I myself would never pay $300 to $400 on a used player when a brand new unit with a warranty can be had for $700 CD player are just to fragile.

Craig

Kelly,

This is not meant to be a insult but when have we ever had ears that agree on anything. I do not look for the tyoe of sound you do and mosty likely never will. I'm not after some unrealistic presentation. I want the actual recorded music to come through that is my preference. You like your music colored to a much higher degree then I whether you will admit it or not.

I own one of the first AH! Tjoeb CD players sent into this country LONG before Kevin Deal started importing them. I bought it based ENTIRELY on a fellow jazz LP colletor pal of mine in Europe who said it was the BEST DAMN $250 he ever spent (I paid about $280 shipped to California directly from Herman at AH!). I am still using this player in my second system and it has proven to be a very solid performer over the last 4 1/2 years. Very "analog" sounding--especially for the price. But don't forget this is modified BOTTOM OF THE LINE CHEAP-O Marantz CD player--very VERY cheap looking and feeling in every way! A REAL POS so if you are looking for something nice to look and and built well, FORGET IT!

The original Rega in my wife's office system is used daily and has proven to be very, very reliable. It too is a very "analog" sounding player and is BEAUTIFULLY engineered and built like a tank--really makes the AH! look like the mass-market POS it started out as! The bottom end of the Rega is DEFINATELY more solid and cohesive and for lack of a better word, the Rega is a much more "musical" player.

Both of these CD players offer great value. If your are sold on buying a NEW unit, then the AH! offers a better value as it's about 40% less cash. But you can get a nice, used Rega for less than $400 EASY and this is what I would reccomend.

By the way, my BAT VK-D5 CD player smokes BOTH of these CD players in every way you can name, but with a retail of $4500 it DAMN WELL BETTER! (I got mine from a dealer friend of mine as a "demo" for about half of that).

Edmond,

Here we are again dealing with you calling me names. This time it's merely because I asked you to explain yourself for maiking a statement about equipment you've NEVER heard. I hope all of your supporters take note of this. So instead of calling me "childish a$$", or telling me to grow up, first take a look in the mirror and tell it to the person you see there.

There is a simple reason for my name calling ! You go thru litterally every post I make waiting for a reason to slam me. I'm sure this poster was asking for peoples opinion I gave mine. Why on gods earth do I have to qualify it to you. I have repeatedly ask you to quit posting to me but you keep it up. I will say this again SHOW ME ONE THREAD WHERE I EVER ATTACKED YOU A SINGLE TIME WITHOUT FIRST BEING PROVOKED BY YOUR CHILDISH AND VINDICTIVE BEHAIVOR ?????????????? Your post was purposely put there to provoke me like always ! I'm sick of this bullsh!t as everyome on this forum is I'm sure. I never post to you starting this bull its always you !!!!

Later