Rega Planet or AH! Njoe Tjoeb 4000

kuisis

The list is $3000 on the XA-777ES but this is not the unit he was reviewing he used the SCD-777ES which is less expensive but I'm not sure what it listed at originally. It is not a current product any longer. I'm not sure if ES dealers still have them or not.

Craig

9.gif Kuisis, another consideration might be the Lector cdp-0.5t, which is an italian made player with tubed output stage that apparently wipes the floor with Regas and the like.(advice from a trusted dealer friend) At 2300$ canadian before any discount it's not cheap, but probably worth the stretch; (I've heard the regas, and while o.k. they hardly play in the big league)

A serious question: Is the 777Es $3,000 better that the Tjoeb 4000?

The SCD-777ES was offered to me for $750, the previous owner is a friend who traded 'up' to the XA-777ES, believe he got the XA for ~$2K thru Oade. I've heard it offered for $1799 at J&R. It does multi-channel (6) and SACD, whereas the Tjoeb4000 does not, perhaps it's fairly priced after all, pre-owned units can usually be found in the $1500 range at audiogon. Some report redbook CDs sound better in the XA-777ES (using 3 DACs) versus the SCD-777ES, just haven't confirmed this personally yet.

Read a few things about the Lector CDP 0.5T, $2300 is a bit more than I would have guessed.

• 16 years later...