Cornwalls and La Scalas?!?

Seismic_Pulse

Okay, I'm new to this site and relatively new to Klipsch speakers. I have a basic all around Klipsch system that I love but I'm wondering about all the hype here about Cornwalls and La Scalas. I've never listened to either of them but I'm curious whether or not it's like an old muscle car nostalgic love or are these really the amazing speakers everyone is raving about. I just can't understand how a speaker made so long ago could outperform today's wonderful Klipsch speakers. Anyway just a question I'm not looking to start a war or anything I know how you guys love your Cornies and Scalas.

It's hard to explain if you have never heard them before. Concert halls, recording studios are some of the professional use of these speakers. When driven by a top quality system (preamp, amp etc) the sound is as close as possible as being their live. My best friend had a pair of La Scalas with a Luxman top line preamp and a Halfer 100 watt amp and I still have not heard a system sound better!! He use to dj at parties and people would just stand and look at them. At every party he would have people comming up and asking him about them.

The draw back with these speakers run by a top system is that if the recording is a bad one then it will reveal all the cd's flaws. But if it is a good recording it sounds fantastic!! I just put in an order for a pair and I'm upgrading my system. Right now I have a home theater reciever and I'm going to start a separte stereo system just for my La Scala's. Think of a Ferrari, they don't take the best engine and put it in a vw bug. They match the engine to the best parts to make the best car. Same principle with the La Scalas or any Klipsch speaker.

Also the demands of speakers have changed. When Mr Klipsch designed the Klipschhorn there was no home theater. Today speakers are designed to do both music and home theater. The Heritage series was designed just for music.

----------------

On 11/22/2003 5:07:38 PM jbsl wrote:

The Heritage series was designed just for music.

----------------

Yes, but when you build a HT and use a quality processor and amps with Heritage speakers, nothing can touch it or come anywhere close.

As for the posters questions, usually people are more happy with Cornwalls. They have a bit deeper bass and are bit more forgiving to lower quality components. The LAS has a more accurate bass, but roll off at 50 hz. Also the LAS like all fully horn loaded speakers really come alive in a larger room.

You may also consider the Forte and Chorus.

JM

The older speakers are a lot different in design from the newer ones (excluding the continued Heritage, which retain the same designs).

Very generally, the midrange in the CW goes an octave lower than the new ones. The midrange in the LS and K-Horn goes yet another octave lower. Also, the older ones are a three way design. The CW direct driver and box are physically bigger. The LS has a horn loaded bass unit.

To some extent, the Ref are trying to accomplish the same level of performance with fewer and smaller components. It can't be done. Size and complexity does count.

Gil

My take on Heritage is musicality that sounds live. They also are so extraordinarily efficient that they can be driven with little power. It has to be clean power because they reveal any flaws in the pipeline. Hope you have a chance to audition some of the speakers. It is hard to find a music shop that even carries the Heritage line anymore.

Well said by everyone. Personally I prefer the sound of the La Scala's over the Cornwall. The bass in a Cornwall is heavier and I think most people like the heavier bass. Especially when they have been use to the sound of other quality speakers bass response. What gets most new listeners is the sound of the mids and highs from the Cornwall. Now having said that. The La Scala is more defined in the bass and midrange then the Cornwall. The midrange horn has a larger throat area and the bass is a folded horn. The Bass response is very fast and detailed compared to the Cornwall, but not as deep. The best way to describe the sound of a La Scala is the same sound reproduction one would hear at a live concert. The La Scala and Klipschorn will produce not only the sound quality of a live concert, they will also produce it with authority in the way of sound pressure levels.

Many new Regal Theaters employ klipsch THX sound systems and use complete Horn systems not only the mid and highs but for bass as well. Folded horns are used for the bass in the Klipsch cinema series as well.

ok so I rambled on to long

"To some extent, the Ref are trying to accomplish the same level of performance with fewer and smaller components."

How do we go about defining "performance"? I think that's a tough one. Heritage may deliver a "livelier" sound than Reference, but whether it sounds "better" is up to the individual listener. I'm not one that believes additional parts and complexity always translate to more coherence, or cohesiveness in the presentation. I think Heritage has a somewhat disjointed sound to my ears, and I think the squawker is prone to congestion at higher SPLs. Exceptional cabinet-work of Heritage aside, I actually think the drivers in Reference are of better quality. I have held both in my hands, and that's just what I think.

I think Reference and Heritage are both strong performers, though each excelling in different areas. Real horn lovers should definitely go for Heritage, and those preferring a somewhat warmer and "tighter" sound shouldn't be afraid to check out some RF-7s.

http://www.infinitysystems.com/homeaudio/technology/whitepapers/cmmd.pdf

Scooter----LaScala does not have a larger mid horn throat than the Cornwall; the mid driver and the horn throat area are the same. Both acyually have a horn throat somewhat necked down from the size of the driver exit, I wonder if this adds to the fierceness some think these Klipsches exhibit.

Tom,

"I wonder if this adds to the fierceness some think these Klipsches exhibit."

I think that is mostly from the ringing/nastiness of the K55v around 9k or so. The earlier Klipsch crossovers was only a high pass on the squaker and it was starting to roll off around 4-5k on its own. But it comes back with a vengence again around 9k.

k55vk400.JPG

Swapping to an ALK crossover (which is a bandpass on the squaker) took care of that peak nicely.

k55vk400alk.JPG

Shawn

Do the "new" Klipsch crossovers address this -- does anyone know?

What I really want to know is if the new LaScalas will drill a hole in my head.

I can't help it, I think Tom is right -- and the throat is too small. It's like me trying to cough up a watermelon.

Dean,

"Do the "new" Klipsch crossovers address this -- does anyone know? "

I don't know about the newer crossovers. The later drivers are a little better behaved about 6k though too. This is a K55M.

k55m.JPG

The peak here is about 5dB more down. Don't know what the k55x is like. The 'P' trap mods are attempts to deal with these peaks too.

"What I really want to know is if the new LaScalas will drill a hole in my head."

You will need to hear one to decide for yourself.

"I can't help it, I think Tom is right -- and the throat is too small. "

I've heard the difference of having those peaks (type AA crossover) and getting rid of them with an ALK. IMO that harshness/piercing sound is gone with the ALKs.

Those peaks are still there is you use a different horn. For example this is the K55v on an Altec 511b.

k55v1.JPG

Shawn