significant upgrades and improvements to heritage series

jbsl

I noticed these paragraphs below in an article on the newscenter and was wondering if anyone has bought some La Scalas since the upgrade?

"The Klipsch Heritage Series, which includes the Klipschorn, Belle Klipsch, La Scala and Heresy II loudspeakers, was recently reintroduced to the specialty audio market after about a year-long hiatus for some significant upgrades and improvements.

All models (excluding the Heresy II) are now internally wired with Monster Cable Z-Series wire manufactured exclusively for the Klipsch Heritage Series, including Monster Cable¡¦s patented Magnetic Flux Tube dielectric technology. This proprietary wire is a step up even from the premium wire used in our Klipsch Reference Series. All models (excluding the Heresy II) now feature bi-wire inputs with five-way binding posts and custom manufactured Monster Cable bi-wire jumpers. We have established a durability upgrade to premium lacquer. This high-quality finish previously incurred 20% surcharges; now it is the standard finish."

I just placed an order for a pair of La Scalas and was curious about the sound. I wonder if these upgrades were in response to people replacing the Klipsch crossovers and buying the ALK crossovers. Also I would like to hear the differenc between the new upgraded La Scalas and the ones that have the ALK in them. 16.gif

Actually, the new Heritage Series was was "upgraded" because the OEM for the tweeter and squawker quit making them!

I got to hear the new K-horn, Belle and La Scala in Indianapolis earlier this year when several of us toured the Headquaters and R&D Lab. The KH/B/LS went back to the future with the newest drivers. The ones they have now are modern versions of the K-55-V and K-77-M. Both are said to be improved and smoother, though the squawker may be 1.5 db less efficient.

In many ways the new crossovers ARE a significant upgrade. They use film and foil capacitors instead of motor start caps. Many would argue that since the new crossovers do not have an autoformer, they cannot be as good. The new ones use an L-pad on the squawker. The advantage to that is that the impedance curve should be flatter and kinder to tube amps.

The La Scala was instantly recognizable. It's sound has not changed. If I had mine beside the new ones I might hear a difference, but nothing my memory catches. The K-horn is warmer and the Belle is thinner sounding. For once, I did not really like the Belle.

Thanks for the info I'm looking forward to hearing them. I'm buying 2 Monarchy Audio SM-70 pros 80 watts class A mono amps to run them. I'm also buying the model 22c DAC and DIP upsampler from Monarchy. I've been using 1 SM 70 in stereo 25 watts for my KLF 20's and the monarchy amp matches very well with the Klipsch speakers. So two amps with 80 watts going into the La Scalas should have a fantastic sound.

Later this year I'm planning to buy a Luxman preamp. My best friend used a early eighties top of the line Luxman preamp with a Hafler 100 watt amp going into La Scalas and I still have not heard a better sound in almost 20 years now! Thanks again for the info once I get the stereo system hooked up and running I'll post a note here.

If I recall correctly, Al himself did not recommend his crossover over the Klipsch designs that were immediately before these latest models. If I am wrong about that, someone can correct me. I would seriously consider the ALKs if you had older models of La Scalas, but not brand new ones.

The ALKs should not be used on 2002 and later Heritage speakers without a redesign. In previous versions most people say the AK/AL-3 is a tie in sound and the ALKs are an improvement over previous crossovers. They are an order of magnitude better then the Type AK/AL/AB.