AV15 sub is ready...

formica

I had excellent results running a sealed AV15 with a Qtc of .707. I had 750W running to it and it was wonderful for music and home theater even though it started to roll off ~30hz in my 1500ft^3(could have gone lower if it was corner loaded). One thing to keep in mind is that the rolloff of a sealed sub is not as steep as a vented/PR sub. Even though the sealed AV15 started to rolloff ~30hz I still had lots of useable output and I was only ~5-6dB down at 20hz.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 12/1/2003 9:25:00 PM fire pinch wrote:

Here is a pic of the enclosure that I took yesterday althought now, the sub looks like a bit more finished than what you see on that pic.

----------------

Nice... router seems to be working better by the look of those cutouts. Where are you building it... looks like a bedroom? Thought the bed and the Tempest took all the space? 2.gif

If you ask frankie nicely, he may be able to fix you up with a couple of "easypour" logos... 9.gif

----------------

On 12/4/2003 1:46:20 PM formica wrote:

Where are you building it... looks like a bedroom? Thought the bed and the Tempest took all the space?
2.gif

If you ask frankie nicely, he may be able to fix you up with a couple of "easypour" logos...
9.gif

----------------

lol! Well, no... the sub is built in the basement but for taking pictures, I must bring the cabinet in my bedroom because no more battery power from the camera... I must take pictures from my computer. Looks like the sub wont be finished this week... I had too much school work (electronic projects etc) 8.gif

You call that little cube a subwoofer!! Lol... shows your not from Texas... (no offence to the Texas guys 2.gif .

Seriously, it's Looking GOOD!! pincette of fire... Your sub is almost done, and looks good with the recessed driver! We'll be talking about some serious punch per cuft!!

My project is actually on hold... and I have sabotaged the race. I won't be able to receive an amp before the second week of the new year. I'll decide what I'll do then. I'm over my head in work as well as last minute preparations for the upcoming holidays.

This should give you (and Frankie) time to put a nice finish on those subs... 3.gif Real black painted oak, right? At this rate you will be able to listen to your favourite xmass "sets carres" on it... Wonder how good Frankie is with a sewing machine? 11.gif

Later...

Ampless Rob

"I have sabotaged the race." lol 9.gif Well, I hope that everybody know that it wasnt a real race 2.gif

Yep, this time, I wanted to try a nice oak veneer but painted in black because all my other pieces of audio gear are black. It is true that I have a lot of time left for finishing the sub (considering the virtual race) but I will not be able to resist to the temptation! 11.gif I'll most likely want to test and hear the sub as soon as it is finished without the finish. I cross my fingers for the next week, the time I'll probably be ready for hearing the sub. I think that this is more than probable because Im ending the school this week so I'll have plenty of time on the subwoofer.

By the way, should I start a new topic when my sub will be finished + review or I continue with this one? It's because I already started to post some pics here so I wonder if I should stay here or not when all the work will be finished...14.gif OR I shouldnt post at all! 11.gif

2.gif

Hey, I am very inspired by the two DIY subs I see on this post. I have a couple of questions for you guys though. If I decided to make my own box, where could I get the information on how to build one? Such as how big, how much volume it would need to work with a particular driver, how to brace the structure, and just basic building techniques? I consider myself a good DIY, and have many skills with all tools that I would ever need to use for a project like this, "plus my father is a master carpenter and use to build cabinets, so I have help too". I do not yet have a driver or amp in mind, but if there is some web sites I could go from, that would be great.

A box can be designed based on your drivers Theil/Small parameters... as these will dictate the volume required and the port tuning if you go vented to get the desired response.

A good web site to read up on designing your own subwoofer/bassbin would be http://www.diysubwoofers.org/ as it goes into the basics of several types of designs. Once you get a better grip on the variables involved you can download WinISD freeware which is a low frequency speaker box simulator. There you can play with different drivers and get a feel of how variables affect the response. You will discover that all drivers are a tradeoff with size/efficiency/bass-extension balancing act. You optimise for one, the other properties will suffer.

Bracing and jointing the sub panels is really up to the builder... so you'll see different schools of thought on this. Many people (myself included) will overbrace their subs... as a little extra wood and time isn't that significant when your building just one sub.

There is also an easy way out... choose a proven design for a common driver... and replicate it (Adire has a whole series of plans for their Tempest and Shiva subs). But what fun would that be?

Rob

• 1 month later...

I just thought I'd revive the old thread rather than start a new one.

This is to say that I received my JBL Power Amp last week, converted to 120V and had the whole thing up and running this weekend. It's putting out 700W in 4ohms (mono) into my AV15.

I've tried it out but haven't really put it through it's paces yet given my girlfriend has been home most of the time. For some odd reason, test tones drive her nuts.

In the short time I tried it... It is definitely cleaner at higher volumes than my old sub, and goes lower. As for SPL, I can push it till I clip the amp without and noticeable distortion. It's as if it could use even more power. I was actually expecting a greater (SPL) difference than what I heard so far between my Energy and the AV15. I have to admit that I haven't had much time to play with it's configuration (phase, level, etc). I will try to run a series of tests on both sub to compare, and throw some numbers on here. I warn you though, that my room has some pretty important modes. (a BFD is on my short list)

I will try to post a more complete review soon... In the mean time, here is a pic of the sub, with my Energy ES12XL sitting on top. For scale, you can get a glimpse of a Heresy and Cornwall in the background at 6ft3 it's not small.

Later...

Rob

IMG_1614-web.jpg

post-11489-1381925025963_thumb.jpg

I have also been inspired. A DIY sub would be an awesome project to do over summer vacation. the driver I was thinking about using is a 15" Titanic MkIII and a 1000 watt plate amp from Parts Express. I don't think I have the money for anything you guys built, so thats what I've come up with to start. Any suggestions for me? I want to go sealed first, it's my first box I will have ever built.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=295-420&DID=7

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=300-808

The Titanic MKIII is a nice driver and should produce a good sub esp with 1000W to back it up. Although Firepinch's cost quite a bit more... my AV15 sub is actually cheaper than the parts express driver and amp, but probably doesn't differ much in real life performance.

I gave my new sub a little more testing tonight, and I DO reach it's maximum excursion with the 700W amp.

IMG_1598-web-s.jpg

I managed to bottom the sub on one note... at the same time as the clip light blinked back at me. I tried it with a music source... and got about 124db at 1m (C weighed, slow, sub only) and about 117db at my seated position about 8-9 ft away (C weighed, slow, sub+mains). The irony is that I'm running the sub about 2db low according to a quick pink noise test.

I'm looking forward to giving it a real run for it's money...

Later...

Rob

PS: My playing around reminded me on how clean and loud the Cornwalls will go... and I have never clipped my 100W Rotel.

post-11489-1381925026048_thumb.jpg

Would it be better to buy the kit instead f build my own box? I have no experience with this and the kit looks easy. What is the internal volume of the box in the kit? Dimensions: 19-1/8" W x 19-1/8" H x 19-3/8" D . I don't know how to figure out volume so bare with me. The price of the components if bought seperate is right around $599, amp and sub. It's only another $88 for the box in the kit, is it worth it or is it cheaper building my own? Remember i have no experience with building boxes.

I was looking at the Tumult, and it looks sweet. Would it be much of an upgrade over the 15" MkIII? Used with the same amp of course. Then I would have to build my own box. But is it that much better? 198.66 for the Titanic and 499 for Tumult.Considerabley more. Is it worth it? I would have to save up a helluva lot more money.

The Tumult woofer likes power and it less sensitive than the Titanic MKIII. So with the same amp, you better stay with the Titanic. The Tumult cost is more justified when you look for a very small powerfull subwoofer. As an example, Im using it in a 2.75 cubic ft enclosure sealed. Despite its sealed, I just tested it during like a ten minutes (yes it is now finished 3.gif) and I get surprinsgly good extension to 20 Hz!!! Not SURE SURE, but I can even say that it is ALMOST flat to 20 Hz, when I hear some bass tests with my ears. A SUPER clean 105 dB @ 20 Hz for the moment, I didnt push it far yet, the amp felt comfortable and the woofer too. I wonder if Im gonna pass the 110s at this frequency... this is still a sealed box and this kind of SPL at this kind of frequency is a hard task for a woofer 1.gif I couldnt push it farther because at the time of this message, it is 11PM and people begins to sleep all around and this is the total silence downstairs. So with a poor bedroom floor like mine (let the bass passing easily through as it is also the kitchen ceilling LOL), oh oh, I must not turn it up loud! 4.gif

What amp are you using to drive the Tumult(I love that name, along with Titanic, they sound strong). The description on the Titanic kit says I can get 115dB of bass output. Is this true? Does the 4 dB of sensitivity make a big diff? i don't tend to listen to music loudly, but movies I do. Thanks for you and Formica's help.

----------------

On 1/29/2004 11:11:34 PM Jordan wrote:

What amp are you using to drive the Tumult(I love that name, along with Titanic, they sound strong). The description on the Titanic kit says I can get 115dB of bass output. Is this true? Does the 4 dB of sensitivity make a big diff? i don't tend to listen to music loudly, but movies I do. Thanks for you and Formica's help.
----------------

Whether you can get 115dB is dependent on the source material, the alignment you use for the woofer, and how much power you push to it. With that woofer and the appropriate amount of power 115dB seems reasonable in most rooms.

4dB is a big difference in sensitivity. With all other things being equal, say you have a woofer with 90dB efficiency and it takes 500W to reach 110dB. Compared to a woofer that's 86dB efficient(4dB less) it would take over 1100W to reach the same level.

The Tumult is a good choice if have a really big amp and a small enclosure is one of your biggest priorities. I was considering a Tumult but decided to get dual AV15's instead because large enclosures(the cheapest route to big bass1.gif don't bother me.

Hmmm... no, if you go with the Tumult, you better have something like a 1600W amp to make it shine but the Part Express 1000W amp would be a good choice too if you want a plate amp.

Im using a QSC PLX2402 (2400W) amp to power the Tumult, bridged in 4 ohms. Can be considerated dangerous for some people, due to the woofer thermal rating limit (Pe=1600W), but I like power 1.gif , and I prefer to have a more powerfull amp in order to have more headroom. I even experimented a 850W of my QSC. In that case, I was only using one channel in 4 ohms but I found that the woofer could take way more, and the amp cliped easily.

In the end, I want to add that the only advantage you would get with the Tumult, with the amp you have, is a more distortion free and cleaner bass. The distortion of that woofer is SCARY low, so low that even a 20 to 30 Hz note is more felt than heard!