fuzzy speaker

frankphess

I recently purchased the Klipsch reference series speakers

and sub. When listening at low volumes it seems one of the woofers of one of the RF-7's seems fuzzy. When listening at louder volumes it sounds fine, it is only at the lower volumes, and it's driving me crazy. The speakers are only a few months old. The speaker shows no visual damage.

The speakers are connected to a Sony STR-DE945 (110w/ch) and connected with bi-wire monster cables. Anyone else have this problem? Should I return? Any ideas.

Thanks in advance.

Usual questions (this drives guys like Dean crazy). Have you swapped speakers or cables to rule that out. Tried a different amp? Different source (TT vs CD vs DVD, etc.)?

That would be a good start. Where did you buy from? Sometimes they'd rather come out to your house to troubleshoot for you then have a return.

Welcome to the forum. Great speakers. Don't give up on them yet. It may not be the speakers at all.

I have tried using different sources. It is most noticeable when listing to cable television. With the CD player it also noticable. When watching a DVD w/surround it is NOT noticable. I did just upgrade to the monster cable bi-wires from "regular" speaker cable, so maybe I'll try and put "regular" speaker wire back and see. I will also try to swap left and right and see what happens.

They were purchased from The Little Guys in Glenwood, IL. so they are under warranty and when I say "return", I meant return to have fixed if broken, not to give up on them. Other than this problem, they are great speakers but this little thing is driving me crazy. Thanks for the advice.

I'd bet it's the wires. Swap speaker wires(right on left/left on right) and my guess is you'll get it from the other side. That's where I'd put my money.

If all that doesn't work, see if their best audio guy or gal will come out to your house to see what's up. My guy has been to my house twice, not to fix problems but to make sure I did everything right. I've never heard of your store but with high priced equipmenmt, they'll usually go to extraordinary lengths to please the customer.

I swapped cables last night and did not notice a difference. The distortion still comes from the same speaker. It sounds almost like something is loose, but I checked the screws and everything is nice and tight.

I will have more time over the holiday weekend to play around with different cables, different amp, etc.