Need help! upgrading my sond card?

sesquim

Hi!

I really need help upgrading my sound card. Last night i opened up my Compaq presario computer 466 64mb computer to install a CDWR and noticed that my sound card and video card which sucks are installed to my motherboard and I only see those PCI or white things to put other devices on. So is ther anyway to upgrade my sound card for my Klipsch 2.1? I'm looking on getting the 5.1 but If i cant' install it i guess i cant get the 5.1

Does anyone else own a Compaq presario and have upgraded it?

thanks!!

I have never actually done this. But what you can do is go into your BIOS and disable the device you would like to install.

NOTE: Not all BIOS are the same, so I will be kinda generic. You can also look in any documentation for your pc that you have from when you bought your pc. They may cover how to change the BIOS.

For example, if you are installing a new sound card.

1. Go into the BIOS at startup and look around. Look for the screen that has info for your integrated sound.

2. Disable it, if you see this option. Write down and/or remember where this setting is in case it doesn't work. So you can reset it.

3. Now, EXIT THE BIOS WITH SAVED CHANGES.

4. Now you should be able to install a sound card into one of those white PCI slots. Follow the instruction with the sound card to install it.

As for integrated video. You can do the same thing, but with one exception. When you disable the video, if you do not have a video card in an AGP or PCI slot and have the monitor connected to it. You will not see anything on your monitor. Assuming the video card you install works properly. If something bad happens, I am not sure how to get back into the BIOS to enable the integrated video. Maybe another visitor to this forum can help you more on the video.

Check out my site if you want to.

http://www.geocities.com/daytontp/index.html

Dayton

This message has been edited by daytontp on 06-06-2001 at 05:50 PM

If you have the manual, try finding information about jumpers. You can disable the cheap onboard audio by switching one of the jumpers off. The jumpers are located on the motherboard. It is much better to disable intergrated audio in hardware than in software. But be careful when messing around with jumpers because some of them control your power, processor, etc.

Now if you can't find any information about the jumper that is controlling your audio than do what daytontp said.

On most motherboards that have intergrated devices it is impossible to disable the audio and video (like on my old motherboard) in which case your only option is to get a new motherboard.

This is awsome!!!! thanks daytontp and BURNin'HELL.

I love this Forum ther's always people to answer my questions. THanks a lott!!!!! I'll go and see about the jumpers on the computers manual. THanks again!!!! I'm happy now. I thought it wasn't possible. cwm20.gif

hey daytontp nice site!!! i like how you put lots of pictures. Also nice CDRW 16x10!!!!! I wish I had that. Oh yeah I saw one of your pic that has a board under your subwoofer does that improve the sound? i also have a klipsch system but only 2.1