Dog pictures

Parrot

Not my dog of course, and never saw him in real life, but I think the magnificance of the dog in this picture belongs in this thread! Namely, Rin Tin Tin:

Lee Duncan rescued the puppy who would become Rin Tin Tin from the ruins of a German encampment in World War I.

Actually, what drew me to the story (in the NYT Book Review section on Sunday) was this startling but hilarious graphic that filled the front page of the book review section, introducing the book's review. I still laugh when I see it:

Schuessler-articleInline.jpg

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rin Tin Tin was a german sheppard when they still were healthy and before the breeders got there hands on them. One of the big discussions here since a lot of the police K-9 units (in Germany) are slowly changing to the Mali.

Great looking dog and one of my heros of my childhood.

I have a gorgeous male black and tan GSD! He's got a wonderful disposition towards all people. He does not bother small children (he's seen us give birth to two new members) but does allow toddlers to pull his tail and ears and even ride him like a horse. On the other hand, if Jaeger is home alone and another person attempts to enter the house (as we once had a friend let the dogs out over a weekend) he stands in the doorway and barks until they leave the porch, at which point he lays in front of the door silent. Basically the perfect family companion/guard dog and with minimal training.

To the point above, he is the Americanized version (lower energy and pray drive) and at 6 years old has a completely dislocated right hip (common to the American breed) and an arthritic left knee. Pain management is our only option...but he remains in good spirits!

I'll see if I can't find a pic.

germerikan, I have little to no knowlege of the GSD lines. My Dharma (photo posted here Feb 10th 2011) is from West German Showlines (highlines). Are those lines known for being as overbred as the American, etc.? She's about 3 years now, and no issues so far. These are the papers of her mother. I have the father as well, and it's the same. Can you give any other information looking at this?

img009.jpg

@Tragusa:

The papiers you are showing are coming out of Slovania (Chech Republic) The WUSV on the bottom right shows that they are in the "German Shepard Union" and the Fédération Cynologique Internationale in the middle is the international federation of kennel clubs which does breed to the "German Standards" which in my eyes are just wrong. It looks like most of the blood line (the name with the v and v.d. in the middle is "von" and "von der" which means "from" and "from the" and is normally used for the Kennel they came from) comes from Germany.

If your dog has a straight back then they breeded to the "older" standards which have less tendency to get HD, UD, Monorchism and a full set of teeth ( I kid you not). Also in the over breeding the ears tend to bend and do not stay straight. There are studies here now that around 50% of the pups are BORN with HD. If you have no problems feel lucky and enjoy them. Not all of the dogs breed to this standard have to get these defects.

The attached picture you can see the "Standards" on the left side of the picture in dark black is the "Standard" DSH the yellow outline is that of a Mali. The right side of the Pic is How the standard was in 1904 for the DSH (once again black) against a Mali. As you see the standard droped the back hips and brought the neck and chest forward.There is an appeal to the Mali breeders her not to do the same thing and ruin a wonderful dog!!

It is sad how the breeders are changing the dogs to how they want them to look instead of breeding healthy animals, another example is the Pug, nose almost gone and can hardly breath. I just don´t understand it...

post-26058-13819664876574_thumb.jpg

To the point above, he is the Americanized version (lower energy and pray drive) and at 6 years old has a completely dislocated right hip (common to the American breed) and an arthritic left knee. Pain management is our only option...but he remains in good spirits!

I'll see if I can't find a pic.

This unfortunately HD is a problem common to almost all DSH at the moment and will not change until the breeders get their act straight. As you have probably read in the post above they breed in the hip drop and this changes the entire force displacement. There is a procedure for a replacement hip used here that many use with good results, our Vet had his dog done over 4 years ago and it has 0 problems and can run and jump again. It is prety expensive though. I am happy the meds are working!! Are you giving him green mussel extraxt?? This is supposed to help keep the cartlage soft (supposed to work on humans too) and helps to reduce pain.

I would love to see a pic!!!

This unfortunately HD is a problem common to almost all DSH at the moment and will not change until the breeders get their act straight. As you have probably read in the post above they breed in the hip drop and this changes the entire force displacement. There is a procedure for a replacement hip used here that many use with good results, our Vet had his dog done over 4 years ago and it has 0 problems and can run and jump again. It is prety expensive though. I am happy the meds are working!! Are you giving him green mussel extraxt?? This is supposed to help keep the cartlage soft (supposed to work on humans too) and helps to reduce pain.

Yep! While we knew that HD was a risk/concern going in, we have certainly become more educated on the subject. We bought our dog for $100.00 with full vaccinations as the breeding was accidental...apparently the "fixed" female had pups with the other male occupent. All care was covered by the owners vet and the "breeder" was simply trying to get the puppies to good homes (hence the charge). For some unknown reason, Jaeger jumped out of our open second story window when he was 9 months and landed on the concrete patio. This completely destroyed his knee cap and he had to have it surgically repairned. The hip issue was first discovered at that time (probably born with it). My vet discussed the replacement hip procedure with us and then informed us that it was not recommended due to the bad knee connected to the good hip, i.e. w/o one strong leg the vet felt that the surgery would not be a successful improvement in quality of life.

Funny you mentioned the issues with pug breeding as our other dog is a pug. He is of larger stock (30 lbs, long, tall and fit vs the 12-15 lb standard) than the show dogs and does not suffer from the majority of the breeding defects. He is however 11 years old and continually runs into the couch due to cataracts.

@cornfed

Nice looking dogs!! I am glad your pug is not a standard. Some of the people that have them the poor things can hardly breathe. Ask your vet about the green mussel extract, after about 4 to 5 months it should help with the pain reduction.

@A1UC

Looks like a happy pup, great smile...

Jaeger is BEAUTIFUL! Wish I had a big male too. Dharma is the typical female build.

I was hesitant to post her papers, as we're getting off topic, but I'm so glad I did! That's some great information and interpretation. Thanks so much. I went outside just now after reading and snapped a few photos. One to illustrate her back line. Looks pretty level to me? slight dip maybe? The other shot is just because the morning sun was so pretty on her! :)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Dharma has really nice eyes, nice color. The hip is not as extreme as a "good show dog" so be happy. But, the "normal" dip is there. A good way to check is with a level, calculate the angle and the more it is to the "wanted" 23 degrees the more possibility of problems, most of the time this comes with age. She is looking good though.

I will have to try to get pics of Sion up tomorrow.

Dharma has that great coloring and profile! There are a few mangey looking GSDs here in town and what has always drawn me to the breed is the strength and regalness that comes with good stock, not to mention loyalty and obedience. I also was quite suprised at how straight Jaeger's back was compared to his hips. The Sire was AKC and Dame was a cross between AKC and the German Schutzhund lines (both her parents were registered with their respective societies, but she was not). Jaeger weighs in at a cool 99 lbs. He's a big boy and quite intimidating to the uninitiated, and that's the way we like it as I run a pharma lab on the night shift and my wife and boys (3 and 6 weeks) are home alone.