Those of you who run Win2k and have an SB Live...

Iamyourzero

I installed Win2k last night so I can do a dual-boot with WinME and try Win2k out.

I'm now having a problem that I know has been encountered before, but I never paid much attention to the fix for it since I didn't use Win2k.

The problem is, when I use Winamp (2.72) to play my MP3's, I encounter 2 problems:

* songs sometimes skip ahead by several seconds and then play fine from that point on...could it be a buffer or CPU cycle problem?

* while playing MP3's and moving around in Win2k (surfing the net, opening windows, closing windows, etc) I get occasional pops, clicks, and scratches in the MP3's that weren't there before. This happens randomly and it's hard for me to recreate it.

I NEVER had these problems when I was using WinME. Songs never skipped ahead, and I never had any pops/clicks/crackles.

Some info:

1) I have a Sound Blaster Live X-Gamer

2) I'm using LiveWare 3.0 for Windows 2000

3) The skipping happens most with Winamp. The popping/clicking/scratching happens with Winamp and Sonique so I think it's a resource problem or some sort of conflict.

4) Using DirectX 8.0 and Windows 2000 SP1

Please help! I know this has happened to other people before, I just can't remember the solution...

Thanks!

------------------

P3-866

Asus CUSL2

256MB Crucial PC133 CAS2

Elsa Gladiac 32MB GeForce 2 GTS

30.0 GB IBM Deskstar 75GXP 7200rpm ATA100

Plextor PlexWriter 8x/4x/32x IDE

Sound Blaster Live! X-Gamer

Klipsch ProMedia v.2-400's

Viking 56k external (no broadband available, dammit)

Microsoft IntelliMouse Optical (the new, 33% faster one)

Microsoft Natural Keyboard Pro (w/2 additional USB ports)

I don't think your problem is related to running a dual boot or soundcard. Im also running 2k and Win 98. While in 2k, Using winamp, other progs, and surfing...i believe its natural to get skips and breaks in mp3. Happens to me all the time when a certain task is being performed. Computer jus not strong enough to perform those kind of multitask. My opinion.

550 PIII

256 RAMs

IBM HD Ultra Wide SCSI

SB PCI512

That sucks. I have a hard time believeing everyone running Win2k is having this problem because it would really get on some people's nerves and they'd complain until a fix was released!

Radad, I'll look into what you suggested. Should I use the Win2k drivers on Creative's website (not LiveWare, just the basic drivers) or the drivers that come preloaded on Win2k? When I installed Win2k it recognized my SBLive and I was having sound but I figured I'd install newer drivers to take advantage of the SBLive's speakers...

Win2k *shivers, pulls out the cross EVIL EVVVVILLL* biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Well I tried this when it first came out way back when and I've never had so many things not work on my computer.. I've been told its more based around the Win NT, now if Redhat Linux would run games and all my stuff I'd switch Win98 eats a lot of my 128 RAM frown.gif

Win2K IS Windows NT, it's the 5.0 version...

this is not an OS for multimedia and games.

i still don't understand how people can stand all the compatibility issues associated with Win2K...

I have enough problems as it is with Win98!!

Seb's right. Win2k is not "based around" Windows NT, it IS the new version of WinNT. NT5, to be exact.

But I have to disagree with you, Seb! Win9x and WinME are a bloated, buggy mess compared to Win2k. All the guys over at 3DFiles kept raving about how super stable Win2k was, and how it was even becoming great for games, so I had to try it!

So I installed Win2k and Service Pack 1, and ALL of my hardware was detected! As for games, I didn't believe it until I tried it, but Win2k runs 95% of my games as well or better than Win9x/ME. Games using the Q3 engine such as Alice and, well, Q3, actually run a few frames faster in Win2k!

Also Win2k is far more tweakable than 9x, and the networking aspect is much improved. I'm running a dual boot with 2k/ME right now and I barely use ME anymore. Dual-boot is the way to go though, just in case some of your games won't run (old DOS games) or you have some old hardware that doesn't have a Win2k driver yet.

All in all, I love it!

Hey guys,

Personally I believe win2k is a lot more stable, and faster than win ME/ 9x. I also believe win ME is a sad marketing scheme by MS to squeeze some more money out of people :-P. My ethernet also runs a lot faster, before any network tweaking. However, like SEB did state, this is not the OS for gamers, because its not designed for games. In any case, if you ant the stability of win2k with the compatibility of win98, wait until the end of this year, when Whistler will be released, most probably under the name windows.NET. I obtained a beta copy of it through my boss, and its unbelievable. EVERY peice of hardware I had was detected off the bat.. no problems as of yet, its been about 2 weeks non stop running.

Iamyourzero your computer is more than adequate to run winamp without skips, even on win2k, next time if happens, hit ctrl alt delete and take a look not at the tasks, but the processess (sp?) and sort it by memory used. Take a look at whats eating most of your memory. If you have microsoft findfast running, find it and disable it, every 30 mins or so it will index your computer which eats terrible resources, and might cause some skipping. Other background programs such as norton utilites etc also do the same.

Also, for everyone win win9x, winme, win2k, whistler.. if you want to boot up a lot faster, takes these simple steps:

1: start -> run -> sysedit.

2: go to autoexec.bat copy paste the contents into a text file, put it on your desktop and name it (autoexec.bat.bak). then delete the contents of the real autoexec.bat from the sysedit application.

3: do the same thing with config.sys make a backup called config.sys.back on your desktop, and delete the contents in those files.

Reboot, if there are any problems, restore the files by copypasting back, and no problems. But 99.999999% of the time it boots up noticibly faster with no effect on windows itself..

I hope this helps

Impala SS

I am having this SAME EXACT problem, and i have yet to find a solution. The problem with the crackling/popping, basically whenever movement is on the screen, occurs not only with Liveware 3, but also with just the drivers.

This is so frustrating. Right now I'm using an older driver that i had somewhere, and the crackling is gone, but I can't get 4 speaker sound.

I am so aggravated by this, but I don't want to go back to WinME/Win98SE, as I had major problems in both. Win2k is by far the most stable OS I have ever used. If the audio was working correctly, it would be perfect.

I have tried millions of things that were posted on various message boards, including updating the VIA drivers, moving the sound card away from the video card, etc. Nothing has corrected this problem. I NEED 4 SPEAKERS!! My pros arent the same frown.gif

Any ideas guy? Possibly things that could be conflicting?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks so much,

Jared

quote:

Originally posted by netman816:

I am so aggravated by this, but I don't want to go back to WinME/Win98SE, as I had major problems in both. Win2k is by far the most stable OS I have ever used. If the audio was working correctly, it would be perfect.

Ditto.

Maybe the problem will be fixed in Windows Whistler when it is released, but it'll be a shame if we have to wait until a new OS is released for a fix. I like Win2k, and I want it to work correctly now. What if I don't like Whistler as well? Then I'll have to go back to Win2k which I like but has sound issues with my card. If this is a known problem, I can't believe that Creative hasn't released new drivers or Microsoft hasn't released a fix on the Windows Update site.

Well, I'm a beta tester for Whistler, and so far, the problem exists in all builds that have been released. I am doubtful that they will fix this problem. I have filed numerous bug reports regarding this.

What bothers me the most is that I don't even know what is causing the problem, let alone how to fix it.

IamZero: What video card do you have?

I have used Win2k since Beta 3 and NEVER had a problem. It always recognizes hardware w/o any problems, and if I need to update a driver most of the time it works without even having to reboot.

I personally use WMP7 instead of Winamp, as this way sound comes from all four speakers... :grin:

For a long time I thought LiveWare drivers sucked big time as I couldn't get surround with my DVDs. PowerDVD v3 solved that problem, and now everything is fine.

Whatever the case, Creative will have to release better NT drivers when Windows XP 2001 comes out (aka NT 5.1, Whistler, Windows.NET 0.5, etc...)

wink.gif