What's the best subwoofer cable

john4618

All my sub cables are made by Better Cable that were purchased with my SVS subs.

The cable subject is a touchy subject.

My recommendation is Better Cables. www.bettercables.com

or you culd pop on down to radio shack and purchased one of their cables. Have heard many people compliment them for their product.

From a previous post: (Your get better sound with interconnects to the sub, than speaker cables.) I played around with a few interconnects a while ago when I got my first Klipsch KSW200 sub to go with my walnut-oiled Cornwall 1s, with their B2 crossover. I found the different difference that John Atkinson of Stereophile magazine describes: subtleties as delicate as a flower, ranking about one or two on a ten-point scale.

A few years ago, I bought thinner, silver Monster interconnects. The thinner cable seemed slightly more full, a little richer and a smidgen more defined. They sounded slightly better than a comparable Radio Shack model for a lot less money, but I liked the different difference, especially with my Bottlehead 2A3 Paramour monoblocks.

With my subs, the older copper Monster interconnects clearly sounded a little better than the thinner silver ones. Another different difference. The bass was a smidgen fuller and more detailed. Again, it was enough to make me spend the extra money. (At the time any small improvement to tame the Cornwall glare and harshness was worth the additional investment I did so love those big babies!)

I recently scattered a ½ dozen Realtrap acoustic panels around my listening room, so that it looks like a Bohemian art gallery, full of all-white paintings. These made a significant difference. Several points worth on the ten-point scale. If I had to do it all over again, I would get Radio Shack interconnects and Home Depot cable first, then concentrate on adding acoustic traps to even out the sound of my listening room second. I improve my Cornwall system from a decade ago by switching amplifiers, source, equalizer, pre-amplifiers, cables, CD player, amplifiers again, Vibration Isolation Platforms, interconnects, loudspeakers, cables again and then treating the room. If I had to do it all over again I would reverse the order. Start with the room and loudspeakers first. They make the biggest difference.

You cant be a tweaking audiophiles unless you experiment and listen for yourself. I call it playing stereo, as in hey, what are you doing today, wanna come over and play stereo? Get yourself three or more interconnects from friends and stores and play stereo with them. Make sure to turn everything off, but swap the interconnects around while listening to some favorite bass heavy tracks. Then you decide. Is there really a different difference?

2.gif

Copy of a post I made the other day-

I will add this modest thought and as a preface I will say, cables in situations like video handling and non digital transmissions can make a difference:

Make sure you buy at least some type of quality cable. I do not mean quality in the fact it costs more or there are exotic materials, but that its construction is quality. I had a cheap cable that came with a junk sub I used a while ago. It was so thin it allowed external noise to interfere with the signal.

If this is not a good reason, I always try to buy cables with good connectors. Cheap connectors get loose, cause static and so on. I do not go crazy when it comes to cables but I do like middle of the road interconnects. I use a RS Gold interconnect. Got the 12' on sale for $10.

Frankie has is correct

RG-6 Quad Shield is one of the best subcables out there

When terminated correctly. This stuff hangs in drops

from the pole to your house for decades and still performs very well, It is more than capable laying in a nice

comfy house sending the LFE signal from your receiver or Pre/Pro to your sub/subs The only draw back is it not so flexable

PS RG-6 Quad Sheild also makes excellemt componet cables and digital interconnects as long as you terminate them correctly

Cheers