Good concert DVD's???

Piranha

Texas,

Thought you might be interested in this information regarding the Pulse DVD you have. This is from the web site A Fleeting Glimpse

It's thought that David Gilmour finished working on the DVD late in 2003 and has handed it over to James Guthrie to weave his magic. There has been a lot of misinformation about this release and we can advise you that any copies of PULSE in DVD format that are currently on sale are BOOTLEGS. (Generally just a straight rip off the video onto DVD). It seems that the real DVD is far from being ready yet, and the release date is some time in the future. I know we are all disappointed by this news, so let's hope when it does finally arrive, the long wait will be worth it. Check back often for latest updates.

WOW!!

great dvd's/artists listed so far!

dam-y'all are making me KNOW i've got to slow down my install schedule and spend more time enjoying concerts in my ht room.

ditto on so many-james taylor live at the beacon theater/john fogarty premonition/led zepplin/elo-zoom/eagles hfo/kansas d.v.d.(SAW that concert-WOW!!)/journey 2001/santana supernatural(awesome drum work as stated-really works out your speakers)...really want to check out doobie bros./peter gabriel, and others listed.

MUST add 'house of yes-yes at the house of blues' awesome video(this was shown in H.D.on satellite)great sound,and in the extras section you MUST play the 5.1 version of 'homeworld'...for those of us w/killer subs-tie down anything loose!

avman.

keep 'em coming!!10.gif

Well, for those whom are interested, I just picked up two DVD's at lunchtime today, purely because they were recommended in various posts on this topic. This is the second time I have done so. The first was about two months ago when I bought 'Blue Man Group' and I loved it! Today, it was 'Eagles: Hell freezes over' and 'Peter Frampton: Live in Detroit'. I will try to find time to watch both of these in the next few days and report back my thoughts. Thanks for the ideas everyone!

For some feel good, toe-tapping music I'd recommend "Average White Band in Concert Tonight". It was recorded at The House of Blues in Los Angeles and gives a no-frills feeling of several dudes just having fun and rocking out. Eliot Lewis on lead vocals has a great vocal range and the young kid on drums is a machine. I'd give the recording & video a solid 8 out of 10.

When the wife & I are in a partying mood and getting ready to go out, this DVD is playing. 9.gif

Tom

Tom, I just stumbled upon another DVD concert that can be described in a similar fashion - it has so much positive energy and fun radiating from it. I refer to Brian Setzer Orchestra: Live in Japan. Highly recommend. Excelent audio tracks btw (both DD5.1 and DTS). It will take you right into the fun and crazy mood of the 60s :)

Folks

This is a great thread. I've just ordered ELO-Zoom, Pete Gabriel - The Growing up Tour and Fleetwood Mac - The Dance on the recommendations of the forum.

Here are few that I don't think have been mentioned but are well worth the look.

INXS - Live Baby Live

ACDC - Stiff Upper Lip

Bee Gees - One Night Only

bit of an aussie theme I know!!

Whadda about da Boss? Ya know - da kid from da Jersey side over der in Barcelona? Springsteen in Barcelona reaches out and grabs you like nothing else.

Also, I remember Neil Young on SNL doing 'Rockin in the Free World' - beyond amazing, I'll have to look for that one. Thanks for reminding me, Steeler Dan

• 3 weeks later...

By recommendation on this thread, I picked up the 'Heart - Alive in Seattle' DVD on Friday and watched most of it.

It was everything everyone said it would be: Awesome! They can still sing really well and play. Although I do not know if their band are the original members but they do a fantastic job. I especially liked the two Led Zepplelin redux: 'Black Dog' and 'The Battle of Evermore'.

The sound is very well done too, but I was a bit surprised that it is listed as follows:

Dolby Stereo

Dolby 5.0 Surround

DTS 5.0 Surround

So, I gather there is simply no bass management. Still, it sounded excellent to me.

Not on the list of recommendation was the other DVD I picked up: 'Pat Benatar - Live in New Haven'.

The concert was done way back in 1983, she looks as hot as I expected. Unfortunately, the stereo-only mix is very muddy. I would not recommend buying this one, folks. Her audio CDs sound better, and except for her strutting around the stage in a little, black miniskirt, the video portion is rather boring.

I'll second the vote for Led Zeppelin DVD! It makes Song Remains the Same look like a home movie. Mr. Page went to the Nth degree to locate the absolute best concerts from the standpoint of performance and technical aspects, then did an AWESOME job of making the film clearer and the sound almost studio-like. What a labor of love!

From one who was maced at Zep Indy 1977

Michael

Also favorites

Motley Crue- Lewd, Crude and Tatooed- great song selection with Samantha from Hole on Drums

Black Sabbath- The Last Supper- A Birmingham only get together of the original four Ozz,Geezer,Tony, and Bill. Great song list and performance. Sprinkled with several interview that give history etc.

Yes- House of Yes- ok, no Rick Wakeman but Igor does a commendable job. No Yes vid is complete without Chris Squire on vocals and bass. Great set list and performance.

just my .02

Michael

• Like 1