Good concert DVD's???

Piranha

Led Zep DVD - Bought it for $15 on issue date back in May of 2003. An absolute WOW.

Zakk Wylde's Black Label Society "Boozed, Broozed & Broken-Boned".

Great video and sound. Zakk is a madman who likes to spit!

Ted Nugent's "Full Bluntal Nugity"

It's just fun watching Ted and the 2 current band members bring back lots of memories. Some vintage concert songs in there too.

Judas Priest - The bonus DVD in the 5 disc Metalogy box set.

Live from Deccember 82 on the Screaming for Vengeance tour.

The video is excellent and great sound. Sort of spinal tappish in some parts which are fun to watch. Lots of close ups of Halford singing and Tipton on guitar.

DIO - Evil of Divine.

Grainy video, but songs are right on and Ronnie rocks for a 60 year old vocalist!

Two concerts I can't recommend for the video portion are the AC/DC "Stiff Upper Lip" and U2's "Live In Boston". I don't care if you have 60 cameras taping, I don't need to see them switch every 2 seconds!

NP - Widowmaker * Stand By For Pain

Picky-I knew you would like the Heart DVD. The Led Zeppelin remakes are nice and "Alone" is great! The DTS version is the best format, IMO.

The only other DVD concert I own is *cough cough* Shania Twain's "Live in Chicago." Yes, I love her music and had to buy this DVD. I also have the SACD for her "UP!" material, which is an exceptional mix, by the way.

David

If you're a Bob Marly fan the "Legend" DVD is a must have!

The concert material is culled from different venues. The songs vary in video and audio quality but most of it is great.

The studio material is mostly rough but a real treat to see them at work.

I enjoyed the interview even though it's a very rough low quality recording in a tropical outdoor setting. It has a highly compressed and gated effect to keep the background noise from overpowering Marley's commentary. Needless to say it's difficult to understand his Rasta accent.

The music videos are a nice addition to DVD too. You've probably seen them all on VH1 before.

The only real disappointment for me was they didn't include his hit "Three little birds", and that's probably because a video recording of it doesn't exist.

Currently getting a lot of play in my house is Umphrey's Mcgee "Live from the Lake Coast". While they get lumped into the "jam band" phenomenom, these guys clearly have some pretty heavy influences from progressive rock (early Genesis, Crimson, etc. and obviously some Zappa exposure) with a sense of humnor and chops to spare. They recently did a run of shows with jazz great Joshua Redmon joining them on sax.

The DVD has 4 sound mixes; 2.0 Dolby Stereo, a binaural "headphone mix", a standard Dolby 5.1 (band in front, ambience/crowd in the rear) and a DTS "cruelty" mix that puts you onstage with the band set up around you. If you're a progressive rock fan you may enjoy their fresh take on the genre. Or you may not 6.gif

This may be a question for moderators, can we list this as a sticky. Some forums allow hot topics that are ongoing or useful to many to always be at the top of the list. Maybe we could keep a list of the greatest. Not sure if this BB software can do that but would be sweet. Kinda like an FAQ. ? Would be cool to see a compiled list with rankings based on how many people gave it thumbs up. With this getting larger some DVD's mentioned may get lost. Dunno? If you need someone to maintain the list let me know.

I've read that Pink Floyd's 'Live at Pompei' is an excellent DVD, so long as you watch the ORIGINAL 60 minute cut. The disc features the original, and a modern 90 minute "Lucasized" version that many fans don't care for.

Because of this thread, I think I'll go shopping tomorrow for both the Pink Floyd AND the Zeppelin DVD. I've been on a classic rock kick lately - I'm really enjoying some of these 70's masterworks on the Klipschs.

Hey Cleve,

be sure to check out Nick Mason (Pink Floyd Drummer) when they stop by the local greasy spoon for a meal. He keeps trying to order a 'piece of apple pie with not so much crust) LOL!!!

Dave Gilmore appears ready to bleed to death through his eyeballs and can barely move his mouth during the interview portions.

Other than that, it's a very eccentric musical performance, mostly of the material from Meddle, the album that preceded Dark Side of the Moon. Also featured are some 'in studio' cuts that shows the early stages of recording DSOTM.

Enjoy! The DVD is much better quality than the old VHS tape. I've got both! Used to watch Pompeii at Indy's Eastwood theatre during the rock and roll Midnight Movies phase. The theatre had the HUGE ALTEC cabinets and really rocked!

Michael

• Like 1

Cleve: Speaking of Pink Floyd, their 'Pulse' tour concert DVD is due out later this month! I am waited for Amazon to email me when it becomes available so I can order it. I have the double CD album and they played an awesome concert. If the DVD is anywhere near as good, this might be a great one to pick up and check out!

----------------

On 6/19/2004 8:14:48 PM picky wrote:

Cleve: Speaking of Pink Floyd, their 'Pulse' tour concert DVD is due out later this month! I am waited for Amazon to email me when it becomes available so I can order it. I have the double CD album and they played an awesome concert. If the DVD is anywhere near as good, this might be a great one to pick up and check out!

----------------

Hmmm, let us know how it is. I may give it an audition. I prefer classic Floyd to the modern 'Waters'-less version. I haven't followed Floyd much in the last ten years or so.

----------------

On 6/13/2004 8:46:19 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

I'll second the vote for Led Zeppelin DVD! It makes Song Remains the Same look like a home movie. Mr. Page went to the Nth degree to locate the absolute best concerts from the standpoint of performance and technical aspects, then did an AWESOME job of making the film clearer and the sound almost studio-like. What a labor of love!

From one who was maced at Zep Indy 1977

Michael

----------------

I watched about an hour's worth of the Zeppelin DVD tonight - the DTS sound is incredible! "Moby Dick" left the ventilation grate on top of my McIntosh receiver so warm I could barely stand to keep my hand on it! I'm listening/watching the "Whole Lotta Love" performance as I type this.

1.gif

And you were 'lucky' to see Zeppelin in 1977. I'd planned to see them when they came to Buffalo in 1980 - Bonham's death sadly ended the tour. So I never saw Led Zeppelin play. 15.gif I guess this DVD is the next best thing - I'm grateful that Jimmy Page made this such a labor of love.

I picked up the Rolling Stones "Four Flicks" DVD today. It is actually four DVDs; a documentary, an arena show, a stadium show, and a theatre show. It was recorded on their 2002/2003 tour. The sound and video quality is quite good. I especially liked "Wild Horses" from the stadium disc. Keith plays the 12-string on this track and the sound is very clean. Having seen the Stones three times, these discs bring back memories (although some are kind of fuzzy!).

Another good DVD is Edgar Winter featuring Leon Russell "Live on Stage". This one was recorded in 1988 at a small venue in Murfreesboro, Tenn. The last track is "Frankenstein" and Edgar is incredible. The sound is good on this disc with the exception of the surround channels which at times are a little weak and perhaps distorted or not very clear.