home theater set-up discs

ric

I have used the S&V disc and there are several people that swear by the AVIA disc. It definitely helped me get a better picture out of my HDRPTV.

Are you contemplating using it for video calibration or sound or both? The majority of people use them for the video, but they do have some useful sound tools (e.g., phase check, cross-over check, etc.), too.

John

Ric:

I have the new Digital Video Essentials 2003 DVD and it has helped me tweak my DLP projector, such that I now get a much more vivid picture than before. There is now clearer detail and focus, blacker blacks and improved color balance. It'll be the best $19 bucks (plus shipping) you ever spent on your home theater!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00005PJ70/ref=pd_sim_dv_1/103-4982718-3458257?v=glance&s=dvd&n=507846

I recommend it! -Picky 2.gif

I will chime in too, I got the Video Essentials from a friend, the older 5.1 version, not the newer one with 7.1 capabilities. And I must say, it's a LIFE saver, video picture is flawless, well as good as it can get without ISF calibration by a pro. I used to have an issue with my screen freaking out, flickering, etc., after calibrating it I no longer have it, I think the sharpness along with the contrast and levels made it go nuts. I would HIGHLY recommend the Avia or VE, never tried the Avia, but heard it's great!

Guest Anonymous

Well there you go again,

I read a thread go to the website and spend more $$$, yeah, I'm sold, I gotta learn how to set up my system myself, I can no longer depend on "professional" to keep my system in top shape. I just ordered both discs and should have them by monday. Another project as a result of you guys and your threads2.gif

Thanks a lot

Smilin6.gif

I have the Sound & Vision disc and the Ultimate DVD Platinum. I find a setup disc a necessary tool to properly calibrate the speakers in a home theater. After you purchase one of these discs, make sure you purchase an SPL meter from Radio Shack to calibrate the levels of all your speakers.

BTW, if I had to purchase a disc now, I'd buy Digital Video Essentials(make sure it's not the older Video Essentials).

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 12/5/2003 11:55:59 PM fabulousfrankie wrote:

I have the Sound & Vision disc and the Ultimate DVD Platinum. I find a setup disc a
necessary
tool to properly calibrate the speakers in a home theater. After you purchase one of these discs, make sure you purchase an SPL meter from Radio Shack to calibrate the levels of all your speakers.

Frankie, good point, I already have the spl and am starting to figure out how to use it properly, but now i gotta check if I bought the digital disc.

Thanks man

Smilin

BTW, if I had to purchase a disc now, I'd buy Digital Video Essentials(make sure it's not the older Video Essentials).

----------------

I highly recommend using setup discs, and would even go as far as to say that they're essential, and for the money provide excellent performance benefit. Think about all the money you've spent on getting good equipment to make you music and movies sound better. If I told you that you could noticeably improve your system performance even more for $20-40, wouldn't you do it?

I personally own and use pretty much every single setup and test calibation DVD that's out there, from Avia to Digital Essentials to Dolby and DTS intro demonstrations. The only one I can readily think of that I DON'T own is the new Avia Pro Calibration DVD set, which costs about $400. But each setup disc has it's own unique benefits, and I've found the best results come by using them in combination, including BOTH the original Video Essentials and the new Digital Video Essentials. The original VE has some test material on it that you can't get on the new DVE.

If I had to pick and go with only one disc, I'd probably go with DVE.