Cushioning the Rega Planet

Just noticed a CD jump because I was playing things rather loud and the Cornwalls were pumping out some nice bass response. When I turned things down it stopped skipping the CD. The shelf the Rega sits on is not so solid, I hate to admit this, but it is on a slide out shelf on an older entertainment center shelf. I like this sliding shelf. Is there some way to cushion the Rega?

The good news is, man this bass response out the Cornwalls is so cool! These Cornwalls never sounded so good! I am listening to that Alex Acuña percussion CD that I mentioned somewhere else and it contains some serious bass percussion which really shows off the speakers. The Rega + Eico hf81 don't hurt either. I am liking this album more with every listen. Except now I want to be able to turn the volume back up to screaming. Is there some kind of rubber mat I could put under it?

C&S

Lipped and Born,

I've noticed that mine is a little touchy about that too. I currently don't have an equipment rack I can use for the HF-81 and Rega, so they're actually sitting on one of the KHorns. Bad deal, but will have to do for time being.

I folded some old terrycloth dish towels in half about 4 times, put under the feet of the Rega, pretty tacky but seemed to help quite a bit. I don't normally turn it up that much anyway, but from time-to-time I like to crank it a little. You might look around for something else about that density.

Tom (price was really right, but I'm not sure the strands of cotton are properly aligned with the magnetic flux meridians at my latitude)

I hear that Green terry cloth gives more air..... something about green, same thing with the green marker stripe on you CDs.... right?.

I might try some of that rubbery shelf lining stuff. Mayber a few layers of it. That shelf stuff is suspiciously almost identical to those turntable mats that guy was selling....for $40 a pop. I have a roll of that around here somewhere.

C&S

Seriously, I may order some of these dome thingies

You might want to think about these yourself.

Kelly doesn't like squishy soft things under his players -- but my ears just aren't that freaking good. I just think it's really important to get some isolation just from a practical and logical stand point. I still like vibrapods, but currently use the isolation blocks from Herbies Lab. Hard to beat for $8 a piece. Each block holds 10 pounds. He also sells the very good Halo Dampers for tubes.

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/footers.htm

"Premium Clear" Tenderfoot

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&User_ID=15665332&St=3221&St2=66175438&St3=81645509&DS_ID=3&Product_ID=7106&DID=7

The link above will take you to Deflex pads. Though designed for the inside of speakers, they are a fabulous alternative to the ridiculously high priced mats. Just throw one of these on top of your player and you're done. I believe these are actually less expensive through www.percyaudio.com

The picture below is the "out" side when placing into speakers. The other side is smooth. They come in 8 x 11 sheets. The rubber-something-another material is extremely dense, and it's amazing how much they weigh for their size.

Part Number 268-248

CD/DVD/Transport Shock absorbers

Muffin Pan sprayed with Pam,( I've heard wax paper works also) 1 tube GE 20 Year Clear Silicone leave in pan until cured trim as desired

Price $= Butt woo pen from wife if she catches you :) I was unable to detect any sonic difference but

who knows?

I thought you had a granite piece with rubber balls cut in half?

The Rega really likes a solid, sturdy stand and sounds the best that way. A lot of guys report good sound running the ceramic cones. At the moment, I am using the stock feet on the top shelf of my threaded rod stand.

IF the player is skipping, this means you are getting some serious vibration via that stand. Ultimately, I would probably not opt for the sliding shelf but it appears to satisfy in the ease of use department.

Another option is to move the stand a bit farther from the speaker. I imagine it is pretty close to one speaker as the only time I see a skipping problem is in proximity to one of the speakers. The cornwalls can move some air and at top volume, set the room to moving, especially if on sprung floors.

I do know the Rega Planet is a synergistic match with the HF-81. For a cheap solution, cut two rubber balls in half and see how it does. IT's important to leave this deck level, however. As for the cushy aspect, the Rega already employs cushy feet, it's only real suspension. They felt it a compromise to have the suspension in the transport (they use a Rega-modifed Sony).

kh

ps- Did you ever get some higher quality IC cables for the player to EICO? If you think this absurd, that's ok, just wondering. I can tell you it's a big deal with this player in my view.

Yes, I have stone slabs sitting on whole handballs sitting in furniture cups for my turntables and the Rega. That system works perfectly, and that is for the triamp system with the Altecs.

I temporarily moved the Rega over to the alternate system with Eico hf-81 and Cornwalls. You are absolutely correct about the close proximity of the Rega to these Cornwalls. And the problem mostly appears on this particular CD at high volume (Acuña's percussion album with some amazing bass). I did get some high quality ICs and am also gradually upgrading all the ICs on the tri-amp system as well.

I realize that the sliding shelf is not optimum, but at the moment I am preferring to be lazy about solving the problem. If there is something I could put on this sliding shelf under the Rega that might help, that is all I want to do at the moment. This particular entertainment cabinet is firmly entrenched for awhile. Eventually I could perhaps change the sliding shelf to something more secure, but I kind of dig having this thing able to slide out if I need to.

So you are saying, that there would be no point in adding more cushioning under the Rega since it already has absorbing feet built on? If there is nothing to do I guess I could live with the occasional attenuation on certain CDs, because otherwise this combination is the best yet for these Cornwalls. The Eico hf-81 is breaking in nicely since Craig did the upgrade.

This alternate set up is where I will audition some of the other amps that I am gradually upgrading. It also provides a way of listening to music when I need to work on the tri-amp system, eg. I need to go into the Paragon and check some solder joints etc.

Dean, I could not find the link to those little cubes you were referring to. Both your links led to that red mat.

C&S

A friend dampens his components with a bicycle innertube. Take a normal width tube, about 2" diameter like for a mountain bike, not the skinny road racing type. Put a small amount of air in it, maybe 1/2 lb., so that it will flatten under the weight of the player. Coil it up and set the player chassis on the tube so that the feet are suspended over the surface. He says it's the best he's found.

JT