Tube Mono System

JohnA

I am semi-actively looking for a Shorthorn 15 for a mono system. I want to power it with a vintage mono integrated amp, but I don't know what or where to look, besides ebay. I want it to be simple and easy to use. I expect it to be a tube unit, but that is NOT required.

What integrated amp would y'all suggest?

In an irony not lost, the source is to be a single disc CD player, with L&R wyed to the input of the amp.

A mono reciever might be acceptable, too.

Yeah, I realize you arent going to spend near this amount. I wouldnt either in all likelihood. An old EICO HF-20 off ebay with some tweaks might give you fun and grins for pennies on the dollar. They are always popping up. For even more cheap grins, an HF-12 is always appearing at flea marts. MY guitar buddy just picked one up for $2.

But now even I am intrigued about the Marantz 2 since it came with tube rectification and was triode switchable and by many accounts, the best of the Marantz bunch. I listened to ole Guy babbling about it the other day. Babbling always gets your curioslity up. The power supply was very good with oils. Never heard it, though. Yeah, Guy Landau swears by it for all around performance into even difficult speakers as well as efficient takes. Then again, Guy was under the influence of the option of a pair of $2800 active crossovers for his Big Red beasts. Insanity.

This is one of the vintage amps I wouldnt mind hearing with good valves in a nice system.

model2.jpg

What about a Sansui Q-16? I like the look and size. Are the Tubes still available? Craig, can you doctor this one?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3065330370&category=50593

Or this Bell:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3064238626&category=50593

Are the onld Bogen amps decent? All I know is their PA gear and I'm not that impressed.

Maybe Craig or Ryan will join in with some suggestions John. Personally, I'm not into boxes and associated equipment. I merely want to relax and listen to good music on occasion. Of course, one then must read and somewhat educate themselves on the boxes/equipment. That said, from my experience the Scotts may cheaply fill the bill. The aforementioned members would be a better source of information though. Good luck to you.

Keith

John,

if it has tubes I can doctor it for sure. If I get stuck Mark Deneen always helps me out bless his soul. The darn guy refuses to let me repay him in anyway ! The thing about tube equipment is they all work under the same basic operating parameters generally speaking.

Craig

Did you get my PM ??

John as a new guy to tubes, the scott 99d mono amp sounds very good in my opinion. I'm running a set on heresy 2s and they sound great. I think Craig mentioned he has a pair in his shop somewhere. They look very nice too, even the wife says the look better than every thing else. Actually I should hook them up to the RF7s, since they match the woofers.10.gif

John,

if you don't want Craig's 99D, I think I will get it to power my 299C center until I get a shorthorn. I ran up to $305 and did not meet reserve on Mike's shorthorn, which was not unexpected. It was surprising to see a shorthorn with a reserve, as the value is fairly well established. The distressing collolary is this will probably boomerang back for sale either as parts for more money, or go for sale and move for less money than what was offered the first time.

I will be checking down in the bootheel early next month for the singlet shorthorn and Khorn I told you about. If you had your druthers, would you want the shorthorn first, John? My wife realized the little triangle table we have in Liam's room is none too stable when he pulled it over on himself this morning, and suddenly stated I HAVE to buy a shorthorn/Khorn after last month she stated I absolutely could not get one. The world shifts when furniture overturns on a toddler!

Craig, can you post a picture? I assume it works, correct? How much power output should it have? I think 15 or 20 watts would be plenty. Does it have a cabinet or cage? How cheap is dirt where you live? 2.gif You can reply by e-mail if you want.

I've found my disc player. It's a small DVD player that's inexpensive.

Dave, I don't understand, "would you want the Shorthorn first". I want one, in decent shape. If you find one, you get first choice. If you don't want it, I'd like to have a look to see if I might.

John,

I've located the lady down in the bootheel that has both a single Klipschorn and a single shorthorn. She mentioned neither is for sale, but the next sentence was "I want to make sure they end up in good homes." I told her you would dust and oil the shorthorn every day, twice on Sundays, and take it to church every so often 2.gif

I just bought the shorthorn down in NO when Mike relisted it with an almost reasonable BIN, so now I need to figure how to get it up to St. Louis. My friend that was going to go get it just pulled a fast one and got married and engaged in the same week. I put it in that order deliberately, because and engagement of less than four days is no engagement...

If the lady is interested in selling, her shorthorn is yours. I will know definitely within the next month, and I'll let you know ASAP.

The Shorthorn system is destined for one of 2 places. My M-I-L loves Big Band music. It was the Rolling Stones of HER youth. I had the idea of building the system for her and giving her some of my BB CDs. It will have the look (except for the cd player) of a system she might have used.

Since she is funny about technology and gifts, it's second home will be a corner in my living room to perform the same duties.

I believe the current owner might approve.

Just thinking about that single 50s K-horn, that would be a juicy find! I just can't think of a place to put it.