Best soundcard for 4.1s & MP3s?

RichardG

Hi,

I'm hoping somebody can help me figure out which card to get.

While waiting patiently for the 4.1's to come out I thought I'd upgrade my soundcard to get ready for 'em (currently using built-in DELL Crystal Fusion hardware)

Given that my sole use will be listening to MP3's, what do you recommend in the way of the best sound card match for these speakers?

- Soundblaster? If so, which model?

- Philips Acoustic Edge?

Thanks!

Richard

Philips Acoustic Edge has an EDGE on soundcards this time, I have tested a few incluing the Sb Live 5.1 not other card comes close, Philips Acoustic Edge has put out an update and the sound got better than the first tests done. But there is a bug in the new Philips Acoustic Edge drivers. I am sure this will be fixed.

Hope this Helps

Hey Richard:

just a little curious...

you say you are only going to listen to mp3s, but you want to buy a 4 speaker surround system? consider the 2.1 instead.

besides, you're missing out on most of what these babies can offer if you don't try 'em with games...

Hey Seb:

Well, I'm interested in the surround sound "feel", even if it isn't true 4 channel. So what appeals to me about the AE card is that it can (supposedly) take stereo output and synthezize 4 channel surround from it, making up for playing plain old stereo mp3s.

As far as games go, I'm a pretty dull guy and really bad at 'em smile.gif. Since I spend inordinate amounts of time at work on my pc I'm looking for the BEST audio experience I can find to help enjoy my time on the computer...

thanks!

ok, you're one of the people that is going to love the new DVD audio format...

neways, then you have no choice but to go with the acoustic edge because it's the only one that will take a stereo signal and transform it into surround, and it does this admirably as I understand it.

besides, it's sound quality is better than the SB live, except it's not quite as good for gaming, from what I read.

What do you guys mean when you're talking about this stuff..

quote:

Well, I'm interested in the surround sound "feel", even if it isn't true 4 channel. So what appeals to me about the AE card is that it can (supposedly) take stereo output and synthezize 4 channel surround from it, making up for playing plain old stereo mp3s.

quote:

neways, then you have no choice but to go with the acoustic edge because it's the only one that will take a stereo signal and transform it into surround, and it does this admirably as I understand it.

Do you mean the AE does that and the Live won't? What does it mean...what does it have to do with, say, the Promedia which is 4.1? Are you saying you'll get some kind of better surround sound effect with the Promedias using a AE compared to a Live?

"...Are you saying you'll get some kind of better surround sound effect with the Promedias using a AE compared to a Live?"

In NO way am I any kind of expert on this, but according to what I've read in reviews etc. this is supposed to be the case. That's why I chose the AE (which arrived today but I've not yet installed)

Don't panic dwb122 wink.gif

Either return your sblive and get the AE or just try out your new card. I'm willing to bet it's still gonna sound great.

I don't think soundblaster is crap. I got regular x-gamer and am very satisfied with dvd's and games.

Although when the time comes to get new s/c i think i will try the AE just to hear what all the fuss is about.

yeah, the sb live has some advantages, according to the review sites i checked out.

the AE has some kind of (can't remember the name) processor that takes stereo sound and makes it into real surround sound and apparently it works really well, even better than dolby digital some people have said.

the sblive can't do that at all. it will only mirror the stereo signal to the rear.

WARNING: The Acoustic Edge may not be all it's cracked up to be. I'm going through finger pointing hell right now with Philips & Dell trying to get this &*#$(&* thing to install. IRQ issues (despite calling each company prior to purchasing the card to clear compatibility issues etc)

Question: Can anyone recommend the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz card?

NOW Dell is telling me to buy a card they officially support and that's one of them. (Soundblaster is the other). Doesn't look as though the TBSC card is as sophisticated as the AE is supposed to be, but it seems to have more than the SB for simulating 3d sound on stereo output.

Any comments on the TBSC card would be greatly appreciated!

I'm no expert but I read a TON of reviews and the Cruz is not a top notch sound card, the best bang fer buck so far, that I've seen is the SB Live series. I use it with my 4.1 pro media set and I'm having a blast! SB Live has an excellent history and is a very stable card with excellent drivers. But only YOUR ears can make up your mind for you!

------------------

Movies take us to a place we would like to be and away from a place we would like to forget.

This is just a suggestion.

Richard, have you tried switching pci slots?

Even switching whatever device is giving you conflicting irq's.

You're probably having a harder time than normal upgrading parts because you got a DELL. Even an IBM, COMPAQ ect. because they build pc's with they're own special techniques.

I'm not ragging your system, DELL is an excellent company but i think if you buy one of their machines, further down the road you will have a harder time upgrading individual parts.

Movie Freak:

- Thanks for your help! Given I'm just using it to listen to mp3's and want to simulate surround sound as much as posible from stereo on the 4.1s when they come out, will a SB card really do that? Which model do you recommend?

Baz:

I agree about DELL - it's a great PC and the support is excellent, but it's not as versatile as I'd always like. I tried everything & nothing helped. The card is going back, sigh. Sure glad I got it from Outpost, they're great about returns. Thanks!