DTS OR ENGLISH 5.1 SURROUND???

love_hertz

true, not all DTS sounds better then DD.

I have a christina aguerial concert DVD, and her DD track sounds more fuller and alive compared to the DTS track.

also, for movies with explosions and lots of deep freq, DD always have a higher level in the bass........HOWEVER, DTS's bass is a LOT more defined. I used Jarraisic Park 3 and Titan A.E. as an example. btw, for the Titan AE, i tested it using NHT 2.4 powered by yamaha DSP-A2 instead of my setup. (i need to tell my cousin that his 2.4 deserves a better amp)

so i guess it depends on the person's taste and preference, for me, i use DTS. The mid and highs are just better, I could care about how loud the bass is as long as its tight and pronounce.

99 percent of the time I'd say DTS is a clear winner, easily UNTIL just this week when I was watching The Pirates of The Carribean, the DD track blew away the DTS track, in fact I was worried my receiver was acting up, I switched back and forth and made sure what I was hearing was right. The DD is for one thing at a higher level of volumne, BUT it also has some more pizazz to it, one section where Bill Turner was hammering on his anvil, the difference between the two is very marked and I'd guess there were more places like that to be found on the disk.

So as others have said, give both a listen and go for the one you like best. It's odd that I even listened to the DD track but glad I did.

G2

I agree w/ Gary on the Pirates DVD, in that the DD sounded better than the DTS mix. Most noticeable to me was in the center channel, in that hte DD's dialogue was more robust and easier tp make out. With the DTS track, the dialogue and center channel felt a bit thin throughout.

For the most part, however, I always orefer the DTS track over the DD, when I have compared the two. On the X2 DVD, there's a very noticeable difference between the two, in that the DTS mix seems to have a lot more going on in it, especially in the surround channels. A really good mix altogether for this DVD.

The funny thing is that my first surround receiver was a Sony STR-DE545, and the DTS was always better sounding...clearer, a but louder, and more involving altogether. When I got the Denon AVR-1802, the differences on the same discs I tried before weren't as evident...probably because the normal DD tracks sounded so much better on the Denon (a very good thing!). I also agree that the DD tracks always seem to have a bit more/boomier bass, but the DTS bass is tighter. I'd really like to play the Special/extended versions (w/ DTS) of the two LOTR releases, because the normal DD versions are just too overwhelming in the bass end at times...and I think they could use some tightening up.

Sadly, the DTS soundtrack is not always available, and I would guess suffers from a lack of identity among many HT system owners. How many "average Joes" simply drop in the DVD, press play, and don't worry about audio set up?

To complicate matters, the addition of the DTS sound track is often a vicitm of adding "special features" onto a DVD (the trailers, the deleted scenes, etc.) due to lack of space on the DVD. DTS has been arm twisting manufacturers to put the special features on a 2nd disk, put the number of new releases with a DVD sound track is still in the minority.

I buy my DVD's mainly from a store that sells used DVD's that they buy from customers. I find myself only buying DVD's that have DTS tracks these days, which sadly aren't on all of the good movies that I want. On my Sony DA4ES DTS just sounds so much nicer...I will have to try the Pirates of Caribbean in Dolby though now after this thread, even though I never would have done it in the first place.

What made me love DTS in the first place BTW was Eagles-Hell Freezes Over..

since then I havent turned back.

Bob

There are some differences between DTS soundtracks themselves. The original DTS soundtracks for DVD's could not fit on the same disk as their DD counterpart. Since DTS realized that they would not be able to push DD out of the way, they decided to use a 1/2 bit version of the original single bit version to allow for both of the soundtracks to be placed on the same disk. You can still find plenty of the "DTS Only" disks on the market. You won't be likely to run into them at you local Best Buy, you may have to dig a bit. If you want an idea of what we are missing, get both the "DTS Only" version and the DD version of Saving Private Ryan. You won't believe they have the same sound editor. The "DTS Only" version is much more dynamic and enveloping than its counterpart. On most "DTS Only" disks you won't get too many extras as there just isn't enough room. I find that it is sometimes a toss-up between the more popular 1/2 bit DTS and DD soundtracks with the more recent titles. I have several of the DTS Only disks and love them. You should too.

An easier way to locate the DTS Only DVD's is to go to www.dvdpricesearch.com and just type in "DTS" for a title keyword search. Not all of the responses are DTS Only, but the majorities are. Likewise, not all of the DTS Only DVD's are in the response, but it is a good start.

Good listening and always remember to sound the horns.

As long as we are on the subject, has anyone else noticed that the video on Pirates of The Caribbean is also a bit blurry?

I thought it was me at first, so I checked my tv calibration, then changed disks to see what was going on. Everything was fine. So I put back in Pirates of The Caribbean, & it was blurry again.

Tonight I brought the disk to a friends house who has a Sony HDTV & tried it there. Still blurry! Did I get a bad disk? Or did they really screw up the transfer?

I just bought Pirates over the weekend as (one of many) Christmas presents for

my wife. We haven't watched it, since it's not the 25th yet.

The review of this movie on HomeTheaterSpot talks about the video being poor,

but the review in the current issue of S&V indicates that it is crystal clear.

I'll report back after Christmas . . .

Dave