How does impedance matter?

Colin

I still don't understand if, when I measure a full scale sine with a multimeter and look for 2.83 Vrms from an amp speaker output, leaving the volume knob as is, would that voltage change when fed to a loudspeaker?

Also, I made a test once with a Yamaha RX-V381 powering a R-51M and a KL-650-THX, both brand new, and played the battlefield sequence of Tenet downmixed in stereo (LFE discarded).

Consider that the Yamaha outputs a 100 Hz full scale sine at 2.83 Vrms at -22.3 from nominal 0 (according to a PeakTech 3441) and clips above -4.5 (22 Vrms) from nominal 0 when all 3 front channels are saturated with the same sine.

During Tenet, the R-51M was -9.5 from nominal 0 and the KL-650-THX was at -11; all went well and the amp never shut off.

After that test, I played a 500-2000 Hz -20 dBFS pink noise.

The R-51M sounded clean up to nominal 0, which is ~94.5 dBA at 1 meter, the 650's tweeter crackled a lot already at -5.

I wish I performed the pink noise test before Tenet, so I would know for certainty if the 650 was like that out of the box or if it got damaged by the amp during Tenet.

What do you think is the most probable scenario?

Thanks.