PROTON PRE-POWER AMP...worth auditioning?

Shock-Late

Because I 'm not sure i want to keep up with tubes (see the "oh my god what have I done " topic), I'm re-considering a few SS amps. One of them is the PROTON pre-power amp (don't remember the reference, it's the one with the big watt-meters).

Is this amp good enough for Scalas? I know it has great dynamics, clarity and bass, but I don't know if it sounds good when only pushing less than 1 watt out. The (excellent) reviews I saw were nealy each time made with "low sensitivity" speakers.

Anyone tried this amp with big klipsches??? thanks for your help guys!

Frans

If your serious about a SS amp, check out odysseyaudio.com , most impressive numbers--high end stuff. Click on the $995 factory direct bar & products bar (heck, good reading through the whole site--they have several multichannel offerings). You can read a review on ecoustics.com under their receivers/amps section.

This message has been edited by Quenten on 06-14-2001 at 03:34 PM

• 1 month later...

I have owned Proton for the last 12 years and they have been wonderful listening years. I did update my Proton pre-amp for an Adcom GFP-555II which has proven a match made in heaven. I own the Proton AA - 1150 which is hailed as the world's most powerful 50w per side power amp. It has 7db of headroom and it is truly a powerhouse. They have powered the wonderful 86db Dahlquist DQ20's and sounded fantastic. In 1998 I decided to return to the sound of horns and went with a pair of La Scalas and most recently added a pair of Heresy II's. Some will say tubes are the only way. As a theatre pipe organist I know what come's out of the various pipe chambers and with my system I am hearing exactly the very same sound. Do yourself a favor and audition the Proton. It is one fine amp!Textf>

I took Bob Hartleys suggestion in his book on high-end audio equipment and bought a tube preamp (relatively low maintenance no real hot tubes, expensive output tubes, no biasing), which I then feed through my A/V receiver (solid state). He pointed out that tubes produce a mellower mid and high (works for my Khorns) but solid state does better with bass.

HT-1

Klipschorns w/ ALK crossover upgrades

4 Klipsch LaScalas (surround & rears)

Heresy components in custom cabinet /monitor stand (center)

Panasonic 32 Monitor W/ component video input

3 Sony CX400 CD changers

Nirvis Slink-e computer interface (downloads cd info, programs & controls changers).

Nirvis DXS digital controller (auto selection of whatever source is playing)

Nirvis CDJ (CD Jukebox Software)

Sony Viao Laptop Computer

Sony S530D DVD Player

Sony 798HF VCR

Sony XA1ES CD player

Dynaco PAS4 stereo preamp W/ Tesla Tube upgrades

Technics SL3300 DD Turntable w/ Shure cartridges

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver

Perpetual Technologies P1A Digital Correction Engine (jitter reduction, 16 to 24 bit conversion, future speaker frequency correction, and room acoustic correction )

Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC ( plus 44.1k to 96k CD upsampling)

Klipsch KSW-15 sub (for DVD LFEs )

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Phillips TS2000 Programmable Remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 computerized lighting controls

Radio Shack Wireless Remote Control Extender

HT#2

4 Klipsch KT-LCR THX Speakers

4 Klipsch RS-3s (side & rear surround)

2 Klipsch KT-DS THX Surrounds

10 Linaem Tweeters

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver/Preamp

Outlaw 750 5 channel Amp

MSB Technology Digital Director w/ jitter reduction

Sony CX-200 CD Changer

Sony X111 ES CD Player

Sony 775HF VCR

Toshiba 61 High Definition TV

Sony NS700 Progressive Scan DVD

Toshiba 4205 DVD Changer

Klipsch SW-12II Sub

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Sony AV2100 remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 Computerized Lighting

It is a tough recommendation, since they are only available as a kit (but you can get the PCB assembled, and most of the extra parts you need, except for the transformers, since they ship from Australia); but you really will not beat the sonics of the AKSA by Printed Electronics. (55w/ch 8 ohms) Well, you might beat it, but I expect you will pay well over a thousand dollars to do so.

Careful replacement of some of the capacitors with boutique 'audiophile' grade caps lend the amp a sound somewhat close to tubes, but with effortless power and dynamics, and a noise floor that few tubes can match. The amp is not Class A, but crossover distortion is pretty much eliminated. Unlike most SS, the first watt is just as good as all the rest.

You'd need to know someone who could assemble it, but if you can get it figured out, it would DEFINITELY be worth trying.

Charlie

------------------

"What's that noise?" "It's the carpet, it kinda mutes the speakers." "No, it sounded more like the chandalier falling."

• 1 month later...

Shock, the old Proton stuff sounds pretty decent. My first decent piece of gear was the Proton integrated that I purchased in summer '86. IT was very dynamic because of the insane amount of dynamic headroom. I used it for many years and then sold it for more than I originally paid for it. I have always wanted to get one of the aa 1150's because I thought they looked great. The sound of this amp reminds me of the power envelope designs that NAD was selling at the time. Joe