Any truly better center for Forte IIs than KG 2.2.V?

RichardP

I am enhancing my existing system of Forte mains, KG 2.2 rears, and KG 2.2V center with two Forte IIs which will become mains, with original Fortes moved to rear L&R. I have read dozens of posts here about recommended centers for Forte IIs. Practical limitations rule out another Forte, Heresy, or other large speaker as center; limited availability of the Academy rules that out, at least for now. Many of you recommend KV-3, KT-LCR, or KLF-C7 as centers for Forte IIs. I don't think any of them share the same or even similar drivers to the Forte IIs, so the timbre match seems to be hit or miss. Interestingly, the KG2.2V goes down to 50 Hz, while all the others only go to 65 or 75 Hz, including the KLF-C7s with the larger 8" woofer. Because I cannot audition any of these without buying them, i.e., trial and error, my main question to those of you in the know is, Would any of the three smaller centers make any significant improvement over my existing KG 2.2V? My next question concerns my Yamaha receiver's 5-band equalization function for the center channel, pretty clever actually, since most systems/users have a smaller center than front L&R. Has anyone ever used such an equalization of the center with success? Which frequency bands would likely be the most critical to adjust? Thanks for your advice in advance.

If you use Forte IIs up front I think you need to join the club and seek out an Academy Center. They are rare and they are expensive but they are the correct match for your Forte IIs. I've just not been willing to spend that kind of money for an HT speaker. Those that have are quite happy with the result.

I use FORTE II's for mains and KLF-C7 for center.

not an exact match but it does work out OK. the C7 is one hefty center.

I have a pair or KG2.2 and one KG2.2V

so when I bought my new Forte II's, I tried the KG2.2V and it was not a good match.

was able to get a new KLF-C7 at the time.

I never heard an Academy but from what other posts are saying about it, it should be a better match.

obviously, another FORTE II for the center is the best choice.

lay it on its side.

I had hoped to help resolve this question by selling a forum member here a KT-LCR for use with his Forte's. It has been several weeks and I have not received an e-mail from him one way or the other. Maybe he didn't like it?

For someone that is not willing to pay the ridiculous price for an Academy, and with the few here that have said the KLF-C7 is an ACCEPTABLE center match, I suggest you check the specs on this site and compare the KT-LCR and the KLF-C7 components. The former is much cheaper than the latter and SHOULD sound similiar to the C-7. The choice is yours. Good luck.

Keith

Actually the best/perfect match would be another Forte speaker! Or you could try to obtain the tweeter and midrange from a Forte then use them with a pair of 8" woofers in a custom enclosure. That is the philosophy I followed when I created my custom center for my KG5.5s (for a picture see the link below in my signature).

Richard,

Since you are upgrading to FORTE-II's, a speaker no longer in production, I recommend you retain your current center channel temporarily until you purchase an ACADEMY. Dont waste you time looking for other vintage center channels. After a few months on the lookout (this site, ebay, etc...) chances are you will find one. Just do your homework, be patient, and dont overpay.

Again, since you decided to go with vintage Klipsch speakers, get the center that was made to match.

My system is also vintage KLIPSCH (FORTE-II L&R, ACADEMY center, KG1 surround).