Dvd Reviews

roy

hello I hope this area can and will be used by us klipsch fans to share our thoughts on dvds and other media that we find will help other fellow klipsch bbs users in their purchases. I have reviewed some of the music dvds from my collection on this board so far so that it might help make a decision easier for other buyers as to buying a certain dvd or just avoiding it and i base it almost purely on quality of sound and video not just whether or not i like the band because i realize all musical tastes are very different...so here is a recap of my reviews from dvds music only that i personally own:

THE BEEGEES LIVE 1990 CONCERT-NO DIGITAL SURROUND sound quality pretty good but you will have to create your own environment thru dsp features in your recvr

THE BEEGEES LIVE 1997- good surround sound great picture

MARIAH CAREY AROUND THE WORLD 1998- a collection of songs taken from concert footage.. i would give this a fair rating not outstanding at all but a mariah fans must have dvd

MARIAH CAREY #1s 1999- this dvd has a collection of her # 1 videos like a catalog..great picture and real good sound here all in digital surround ..a definite B rating

EAGLES HELL FREEZES OVER CONCERT 1994- this is a must have among eagles fans and the picture and surround sound is exceptional! an A as far as i am concerened!

DON HENLEY LIVE INSIDE JOB 2000- another gem of a dvd with dts surround and excellent video to match..music concert dvds dont get any better than this for pure quality!!

GRP ALLSTARS LIVE CONCERT 1999-actually this was recorded in a small jazz club atmosphere back in 1985 i believe.. the audio qwuality is excellent and video is very good but there is no digital surround so what i do is put my yamaha in jazz club dsp mode and its wonderful! i would give this a B rating overall considering how old the recording is!

THE MOODY BLUES HALL OF FAME CONCERT 2000- picture is top notch and audio surround quality is excellent too..the only small gripe i might have here is the voices in the music seem like they are pushed a lil far back into the music an obvious mixing flaw maybe but this is a great quality dvd for sound nevertheless.

NSYNC 2000 CONCERT- yes i have all kinds of music in my collection because i have a teenage daughter..lol...but actually this dvd has stunning video quality and powerful surround sound too...i think its a lil too bright though on the treble but the bass is there baby..man is the bass there!

WHITNEY HOUSTON THE GREATEST HITS - I was very disappointed in this one because i am such a fan of her music...video quality is fine but the audio quality is an embarrassment for a diva to allow her dvd to be presented like this...the hiss in her songs is terrible and sounds like you are listening to a cassette tape before there was dolby c nr......

JAMES TAYLOR LIVE AT BEACON THEATER NY 1998- SIMPLY ONE OF THE BEST DVDS FOR A MUSIC CONCERT YOU WILL EVER OWN! in my opinion an A+

I hope that helps some as this is only a small sampling of music only dvds that i own..but i will continue innear future reviewing for audio quality and video and new music dvds that i buy!

------------------

my equipment:

klipsch rf-3 (main)

klipsch center ch speaker

boston acoustics (rear)

mirage ss-1500 subwoofer

yamaha 795 receiver driving center and rears parasound hca-1500 amp

driving rf-3s

mirage subwoofer 1500 watts!

sony 650 dvd/cd player

sony minidisc/cd player combo

panasonic hifi vcr

waiting to see what new reference line will sound like in 2001!!

• 1 month later...

I know alot of people are probably not very interested, but I will say it anyway. I own the Up in Smoke Tour DVD from the Tour last summer, and it has amazing sound. If you want to hear your system THUMP, this is a great DVD. If you don't like rap music, you will probably not like the DVD, but if you do like it, it is a must have.

Agree with JT @ the Beacon Theatre, Don Henley-Inside Job and the Eagles Hell freezes over......all must haves.....

My additions are:

1) Dave Matthews Band-listener supported Outstanding

2) Santana-Supernatural Live A++++

3) Woodstock 99- Great video and audio

4) Fleetwood Mac-The Dance Oldie but goodie

------------------

My main Klipsch system:

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates

Niles in-wall volume controls

Marantz SR-8000

Toshiba SD-4205 5 DVD changer

Pioneer PDF-1007 301-CD changer

Mitsubishi 35" TV

Mitsubishi VCR

Pioneer VSX-608 Multi-room amp for Outdoor deck

Polk All-weather AW2's deck speakers

Panamax DBS-8 Surge Protector

Klipsch IC-525's in Master Bath

13" Sony Wega in Master Bath

1 Lava Lamp for Ambience

Fridge full of beer and plenty of Don Julio, Jagermeister and Jim Beam

P.S.- Anyone have the Peter Frampton-Live in Detroit DVD??? I've heard this is good, but would like a better review.

------------------

My main Klipsch system:

KLF-30's Bi-wired

KLF-C7

KSP-S6's

KSW-15 Front Sub

KSW-100 Rear Sub

Monster cable 14 gauge in-wall cable

Audioquest interconnects

Niles SPS-4 speaker switch box

Niles wall plates

Niles in-wall volume controls