Paradig Seismic 12 soon at home

TheEAR

Seriously...I doubt it.

The woofer cone in the Seismic has over two inches of travel,the dual PR's should move more air than the single Signature PR.

As for amp power ratings,the Sunfire Signature am is claimed to be capable of 2700W RMS(yeah right from a 15AMP circuit)but as Bob Carver says himself most of the time the amp stays under 270W bar!

The Seismic 12 power amp is said to deliver up to 1200W RMS and be capable of 4.5KW peaks!Yes a Paradigm rep told me it will deliver that much.I trust this as next to the AC receptacle you have 1800W max power consumption clearly written.

The Sunfire probably takes under 400W even during heavy peaks.

But who cares if the Paradigm uses 10 giga watts of amp if it cannot outperform the Sunfire using 270W.

I will post some numbers in the comming week

1.gif

I just picked up a Brochure on the Seismic 12 but I couldn't get a price. Do you have a guesstimate on what it will run? Sure does look like the wifes will love it at just over 14" squared! Any guess to 20 hz. output?

Also, What are your thoughts on the new Velodyne DD 15? could I expect any REAL improvment on output vs. the HGS line?

About the Seismic 12,its retail is only $2000 CANADIAN and the Seismic 10 is $1500 CANADIAN.

To busy reviewing PeaSee speakers to get a hold of the Seismic,but as anyone who reads this board knows my true goal this year is not Paradigm.Its two or three top of the line SVS subwoofers(B4-Plus,PB2-Ultra and maybe the ubber woofer compact sub the SVS team may have).

I will test the Seismic later in January.As well as get for test two Martin Logan subs.Again lack of time,cannot do 10 things at once.

For the Digital Drive subs from velodyne do not expect any gain in SPL.Its a gain in linearity and accuracy,direct result of the analyser/EQ onboard.The Digital Drive are little 1812's in disguise.If you want maximum bass quality YES there is a clear gain,want more power over the HGS forget it.

And Velodyne is asking mucho for these,I may still get the DD12 and use it as correction setup device.1.gif

Good Lord what did I do to deserve sub human sickness?

----------------

On 12/27/2003 6:16:27 PM TheEAR wrote:

For the Digital Drive subs from velodyne do not expect any gain in SPL.Its a gain in linearity and accuracy,direct result of the analyser/EQ onboard.The Digital Drive are little 1812's in disguise.If you want maximum bass quality YES there is a clear gain,want more power over the HGS forget it.

And Velodyne is asking mucho for these,I may still get the DD12 and use it as correction setup device.
1.gif

Good Lord what did I do to deserve sub human sickness?

----------------

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised to know that you're incorrect...it gives you more of a reason to add one of these to your arsenal. This comes straight from Bruce Hall(President/CEO of Velodyne):

----------------

all DDs go up to 1.75" peak to peak

----------------

----------------

All other things being equal, we measured the DD-12 at 2.5 dB louder than the HGS-12. We measured the DD-15 at 4 dB louder than the HGS-15.

----------------

I believe the HGS subs were capable of 1.5" peak to peak.

Also on the gaining linearity here's some more info from him on how the servo compares on the different settings on the DD and how it compares to the HGS subs:

----------------

The theater/music setting controls the servo. The theatrical setting (setting 1), causes the cone to be corrected at 6,000 times per second. The music setting (setting 8) causes the full 15,800 times per second correction. The settings in between control the servo in between accordingly. As a reference, HGS corrected at around 3,500 times per second, so even at the lowest setting, the servo is still doing quite a bit of cone correction.

----------------

The new DD subs seem to be pretty awesome, also Dr John Johnson reviewed one and he gave lots of good objective data:

Veloddyne DD-18 review

Frankie,

Thanks for the DD-18 review. It makes it sound like this servo and equalization is the only way to go if your into getting the best sound out of a subwoofer.

There is one for sale on ebay right now for $2,995.00. That's $2,000.00 below cost. I'm very tempted to do it.

My local dealer had MSRP on them at

DD 12 $2400

DD 15 $3000

DD 18 $4000

And "UNCLE STEREO" (OOPS) quoted me $ 2435 on the 15 and $3100 on the 18

They just sold their last HGS 18 at $1700.

If only SVS had some kinda special like at some local dealers, such as on my Mitsubishi card or Good Guys card, they are often doing a same as cash 12 month no interest / payments.

That makes the DD series easier to buy for me then my FAMED SVS PB2 Ultra.

----------------

On 12/28/2003 9:38:45 AM Q-Man wrote:

Frankie,

Thanks for the DD-18 review. It makes it sound like this servo and equalization is the only way to go if your into getting the best sound out of a subwoofer.

There is one for sale on ebay right now for $2,995.00. That's $2,000.00 below cost. I'm very tempted to do it.

----------------

Well servo is just one way to get low distortion so I wouldn't say it's the only way to go. Other's more knowledgable than me say that distortion in subs isn't really noticeable until it gets to 10% but I don't have any equipment to measure myself so I can't really back that up(I'm working on getting some1.gif).

For the eq, I think every sub should have one. After seeing the effects a single band of eq(from Infinity's RABOS) had on sound quality I was really surprised, it led me to get a BFD and I'll never have a subwoofer without eq again. The Velo's eq system is easier to use than anything out there but now that I know how to use the BFD it's not too bad(but still not as easy as Velo's system). I'm going to be looking into a new eq coming from av123.com called R-DES.

Q-Man,

From the one call site................

logo_blue.gif

Manufacturer's Warranty and Options:

Velodyne will cover the cost of replacement parts for two years as well as the labor required to install / service those parts. Simply bring the DD18 Black Gloss into your local Velodyne authorized service center and Velodyne will cover the charges. (Warranty period valid from date of purchase)

As an authorized Velodyne reseller, your DD18 Black Gloss comes with a full USA warranty.

OneCall is an Authorized dealer but I got those special price quotes from UnCle Stereo (www.unclestereo.com). I mis-Posted above!

Get this, I just went to Good Guys for some speaker Brakets and I noticed they now sell Velodyne. They had an SP 12 and when I asked if they could special order me the DD 15, they said yes. They don't have the DD 18 in the system yet so I couldn't order it.

Good Guys also gave me 10% off and included a 10 year Bumper to Bumper Warranty, NO INTEREST UNTIL 2007 (37 months same as cash). Just under $3000 out the door and it will be here in 2 weeks or less.

Right...4dB gain at what frequency?This is standard techo talk.

Like I said its more linear YES,its more accurate YES...is it really much louder...I think NOT.

The gain would be of great value below 31.5Hz,who cares how much gain it has at 60Hz or 80Hz,I cut my HGS18 at 40Hz.So 40Hz down is important.

I will investigate and meybe even get one DD 18" home to compare A/B with the HGS18.