OT: Suicide in "Wizard of Oz" -- Myth or Fact?

Jabez Scratch

Maybe you've heard this one before: apparently, about 1/3 into the movie, in the background, a midget actor who played a munchkin hung himself and this went unnoticed in editing and inadvertently made it into the final cut of the movie. Some claim that you can see, in the background, a body dropping then swaying. Most have disspelled this as a myth/misapprehension, stating that, if you look carefully, a large live bird swoops around and that, in fact, is what viewers see.

Anyone know anything about this?

----------------

On 12/21/2003 4:26:09 PM mkl wrote:

----------------

That web site is the best thing that has happened for pop culture EVER. I am SOOO sick of people telling all these BS urban myths and trying to get away with it, and that site is an awesome tool in proving people wrong.

Not well known is the fact that after filming, ALL of the midgets committed suicide together. There was one suicide note, which read:

"We're off the see the Wizard."

Many surmized, correctly of course -- they simply could no longer live with the extreme humiliation resulting from the strange outfits and bizarre dancing forced upon them.

----------------

On 12/21/2003 9:35:04 PM Hepta Bronte wrote:

...They simply could no longer live with the extreme humiliation resulting from the strange outfits and bizarre dancing forced upon them.

----------------

Join the club, I say.

In the song "Rollercoaster" from the late-70s, you can hear a woman scream in the background while she is being murdered. :) Fact of fiction? Who knows....

In the Star Trek that has Kirk and Spock fighting on Vulcan, during one of the fight scenes Spock is seen talking to someone in the backgroud while his stunt double is fighting Kirk's double. Was there any double in TV history that looked less like the actor than Shatner's Star Trek double?

----------------

On 12/21/2003 9:35:04 PM Hepta Bronte wrote:

Not well known is the fact that after filming, ALL of the midgets committed suicide together. There was one suicide note, which read:

"We're off the see the Wizard."

Many surmized, correctly of course -- they simply could no longer live with the extreme humiliation resulting from the strange outfits and bizarre dancing forced upon them.

----------------

Hepta....

According to all accounts that I have read, the wizard of OZ small stature individuals had no serious issues with "small-people-stereotyping" until Dunkin Donuts released the mini-do-nuts and labeled them "Munchkins". I believe that it was more to do with size of the ....Ooops sorry, I just lost my train of thought

OH...and when did the Wizard of Oz become a Holiday film? Inquiring minds want to know

----------------

On 12/22/2003 9:43:08 AM dgb wrote:

Was there any double in TV history that looked less like the actor than Shatner's Star Trek double?

----------------

YES! On an episode on an Emma Peel-Avengers DVD I have, during one of the fight scenes, you can see a broad-shouldered *man* with a wig was used as a double for Diana Rigg!!!

dianarigg.jpg

Yes......this has been posted in the past on a few occasions. The synchronizing of the Wizard of Oz and the album Dark Side of the Moon is in my estimation "Spine Tingling." I have goose bumps on top of goose bumps every time I do it. Just start the C.D. right after the second MGM's lion roar during the beginning of the movie.....Good Luck, any questions feel free to ask...