Sub for HT that can handle LOTR

greg928gts

Hey all you HT guys.

I just rented Lord of the Rings 2 last night in preparation for seeing the new one. I need a new subwoofer, one that can handle the flapping wings of a dinosaur and the footsteps of trees. My subwoofer was complaining aweful, and I didn't have it quite as loud as I would have liked.

Here's my setup: 5 channel system, Onkyo 70 wpc digital receiver, HK DVD, Klipsch KSB 3.1's for fronts and surrounds, KLF C7 center (love this piece), and KSW-12 sub (the aforementioned complainer).

I'm ready to move to a 15" sub. Budget is really not an issue. Space is at a premium, but I realize a good 15 is going to take some room. Finish is not important. Used is o.k. I don't need the ultimate, but it better not complain when I put the LOTR3 on in a few months.

Thanks for your help.

Greg

I'll look into that. But it sure sounds like the speaker voice coil is bottoming out to me. A distinctive mechanical noise under stress. It was putting out a lot of bass and it's in a good size room, but it was making the kind of noises you hear from a speaker driver exerting itself more than it should.

Maybe it's the season, but this part of the forum doesn't seem to be nearly as active as the 2-channel.

Greg

Well - I still vote for my SVS 20-39 pci. If you have the space there is very little competition in the price/performance arena and you should have something similar in play for less than $600.

LOTR 1 or 2 is very easily handled by the sub (you will rattle things you thought were untouchable).

Any of the svs subs will do. They are great and is a huge bang for your buck. They aren't real easy to find used but they are out there. I have a pci20-39pci and it has never bottomed out. I have a big crack in my ceiling from the low high bass. The sub you have now will not cut it at all with bass heavy movies. If you buy one from svsubwoofers.com be prepared for your jaw to be sore from you mouth stuck up and drewelling.

I used to own that sub, traded it in for a Velodyne SPL1200, very very nice sub! and smallish footprint for the size. Amazing thumbin' sub. Front firing 12" speaker.

G2

Becareful if you watch "Finding Nemo" when that little girl taps on the fish tank...whoa!! Or when the Submarine careens off it's resting place, nice effects there! Had to turn down the volumne QUICK on the fish tank section.

The SVS subs are the bang for the buck subs. The RSW-15 or 12 will do an excellent job with LOTR Two Towers. There are many others as well.

The KSW series are not up to serious movies IMO. Your desire to upgrade is well founded, if you do not mind parting with your hard earned cash.

Bill

KSW dont sound too good. To me, they kinda sound like the Ultra sub. At some instance, the ultra sub sounds a tad tighter.

not worth it, jst go buy a SVS or a HSU sub. They are great for the money. NHT also makes great subs, but i think they cost a lil more right?

anyways, good luck! Merry Xmas

If you want to hear and feel the LFE in any movie, get an SVS. I have the 25-31 PC+, it is unstoppable. Never bottomed it, even at crazy loud volume lvl's. I kid you not, in Nemo, when Darla taps the fishtank glass, the bass makes me dizzy (I think it is my eyeballs vibrating). SVS will solve ALL you bass issues!!!!

Thanks everyone.

I had never heard of SVS before, so I went to their website. From reading the reviews and listening to what you guys are saying, they do seem like a very good value. I like the fact that they don't really take up much room on the floor. I don't think the wife would object to one being in our living room at all. At least no more than the KSW-12.

Greg

When I upgraded I looked at the RW-12 and an old stock floor model KSW-12 that they were practically giving away. The RSW-12 was out of stock and I wanted a 12 when I walked in the door.

After about ten minutes of listening to both the salesman switched to the Sunfire JR and then to the RSW-10. The difference was amazing!

Anyway, the guy said he had a RSW-10 that was exchanged for the last RSW-12 they had in stock and he could give it to me to 30% off as an open box demo. When I went to pick it up from the warehouse they could not find it and gave me a new RSW-10 instead.2.gif

My HT room is 15 X 21 and the RSW-10 is perfect. After watching Finding Nemo on Christmas Eve I decided that the RSW-12 would have been overkill.

No store carries SVS, that's the catch. They're a direct only company, meaning you'll only be able to buy online or over the phone. Only way to audition one is to to find someone in your area who has one.

Now SVS does have a 45 day money back guarantee as well. Only thing they dont refund is shipping, so you'd be out $50 or so. So if you got one on a blind buy and decided you couldn't stand it, you could return it without too much hassle.

I went ahead with the "blind buy" on my sub, and don't regret it for a moment. Just make sure you have a good line conditioner; The SV subs use two prong AC plugs to avoid ground-loop hum but in turn it makes them very sensitive to voltage fluctuations. Considering you likely have a reciever, DVD player, etc. all plugged into the same outlet, this will really effect sound quality.

For some very good bass at a very good price you may consider these:

Paradigm PW 2200 104 @ 25 hz W/ 114 DB peaks

HSU VTF 2 93 DB @ 20 hz

SVS "they go from very good to Oh my God" take your pick!

For some VERY serious Bass output consider:

HSU VTF-3 (something like 99 db @ 20)

Klipsck RSW 15

Paradigm Seismic 12 (14" squared) no reviews yet but at a retail of $1600 (USA) it should be a 12" version of the Sunfire Signiture with a 4500 watt peak amp.

Velodyne DD 15" to 18" (Big money 3k to 4K) but top notch Bass and sound!

SVS top of the line "ULTRA or SVS PB+ anything (or B4)"! $1000 to $3000+ but with performance that will probably best anything in it's price range (then some)!

I have had several Klipsch subs (LF 10's) a JBL D112 (D.O.A.) a Velodyne HGS 12 and finally a Paradigm PW 2200.

I spoke to my wife yesterday regarding another sub upgrade and she informed me that I was going to buy nothing other then a top of the line VELODYNE or NOTHING else at all! She LOVED my previous HGS 12, as did I. I just asked to much from it and so I sold it before I ruined it.

Anyway I have been looking and collecting data for sometime now and I would seriously consider all the subs and companies above. As for my wife, It is the new Velodyne DD 15" (I could have got 2 RSW 15" for that) but it is what it is!

----------------

On 12/29/2003 10:12:50 PM RWMIN wrote:

...I spoke to my wife yesterday regarding another sub upgrade and she informed me that I was going to buy nothing other then a top of the line VELODYNE or NOTHING else at all! She LOVED my previous HGS 12, as did I. I just asked to much from it and so I sold it before I ruined it...

----------------

Your wife have a sister? 2.gif

Just kidding but have to agree on the Velodyne, wish I could afford the HGS version, but I was able to get the SPL 1200 was told that there wasn't too much diff between the two to warrant the extra $$ hope they were right, love my 1200...!

G2