New Toy

joshnich

Congrats Josh! The amp looks pretty good. Are those preamp tubes new Russian ones as well? I don't know if you are into tube rolling and you should certainly get to know the amp first, but in my setup I liked RCA Black Plates quite a lot. I actually preferred them (still do!) to Telefunken. But now it's time to enjoy your new toy.

Happy Holidays,

Wolfram

Way to go Josh. It looks brand new, amazing for being 40 years old. The last retail sale price for that unit was $198, I hope you didn't pay any more than that! 2.gif

You can tell us, did you score it for less than $900?

That's good wattage for the Cornwalls, I bet they're going to sound real nice.

Are those original knobs?

Greg

Thanks for all the notes.

I paid 950 for it. Probably could have gone lower but 950 is a great buy. Yes its true what everyone says about Macs and Klipsch a very nice ( at least to my ears and in my room with my music so far) combo indeed. I look forward to tube rolling once I get used to the sound as it is now.

I would love some preamp input. I see a lot of the MX110s in systems. How does it compare with other Mac tube preamps. I would be interested in you perspectives.

Happy Christmas

Josh

The MX-110 is a helluva deal--you get a first-rate tuner (basically a MR-67) and a typical full-function McIntosh (similar to a C11) preamp in one box. Look for late production models with a "Z" in the serial number--they are the best ones.

Steve Hoffman, the mastering guru used a pair of MC-30s and a MX-110 as his "reference" stereo for many, many years. I had one in a office system with a variety of amps including a MC-225 for quite a long time. I never used the phono pre on this unit for any length of time but with CDs and FM it was a stellar performer--it might not have the detail and resolution I hear in my C-22, but for less than half the price with a killer tuner included how can you go wrong?

Your Cornwalls are so lucky to be powered by a classic MC225, and for less than a grand to boot! The only Mac tube amp I ever heard with Klipsch was a mint MC275 driving a pair of Klipschorns way back in 1979 (don't recall the preamp), and that was stellar from what I can remember! My Cornwalls love my SS MC250, so I can just imagine how your horns will sound with a tube Mac.

By the way Greg, those are the original black plastic knobs that came on Mac tube amps...the SS amps like my MC250 and the MC2100 had black knobs with chrome inserts punctuated with a black dot in the centers.

Enjoy your McIntosh MC225!

Can I add to Allan's comments? I like the phono section very much. The Garrott seems to like it more than the MM section of the Holfi (my regular phono stage which is an excellent match for the Rohmann (MC)). So if you are interested in combining a great tuner, phono section and preamp in one chassis, follow Allan's advice(!)........ and Merry Christmas to everybody 1.gif .

Wolfram

----------------

On 12/24/2003 7:16:38 PM dubai2000 wrote:

Can I add to Allan's comments? I like the phono section very much. The Garrott seems to like it more than the MM section of the Holfi (my regular phono stage which is an excellent match for the Rohmann (MC)). So if you are interested in combining a great tuner, phono section and preamp in one chassis, follow Allan's advice(!)........ and Merry Christmas to everybody
1.gif

Wolfram

thanks Wolfram,

After living with the MC225 for just a day ( alright I played music until 230am last night and virtually all day today. The Beach boys Christmas Lp is blasting away as I type) I am virtually sure that i will be selling my Cary equipment. So looking for a C-22 is not completely out of the question. One of the benefits of getting the MX-110 is that I can still think abouut upgrading at some point!

josh

----------------

----------------

On 12/24/2003 2:25:02 AM joshnich wrote:

Here is my new Mac. It looks even better in person! I dont want to tell what I paid! suffice it to say it was a good deal. Anyway its warming up. Ill get back to you with some listening notes!!!

Josh
1.gif1.gif1.gif
----------------

That thing is SWEET! Congrats and enjoy.