random speaker muting/crackling. Aaaah!

FlatLine

I bought my promedias a few months back, and never really had problems with them except that occasionally one of them one would mute out and I would have to go in the back and adjust its 1/8 phone plug until it worked. Well recently this problem has gotten a lot worse, its a lot more frequent and sometimes I even have multiple speakers doing this at the same time. what happens is that randomly when I am playing music the sound either starts to crackle very badly from that particular satellite (note: im not adjusting volume here, not that crackling) or just mutes out completely (sometimes it crackles then goes on to muting completely). It is very frustrating trying to get it to play fine again, it usually works fine again after a period of time or after I take the plug out for a little while and put it back in. Now Is this the contacts that are bad or the speaker wire or what? I'm planning on replacing my speaker wire (new 18 gauge) and plugs soon but will that fix it? Is anyone else having this problem or did I get some faulty parts? Please help, sound messing up like that is incredibly frustrating while trying to listen to something.

FlatLine

Yes the volume has also always been a little off, sometimes one side seems louder than the other, or the back speakers were being way overpowered by the front. Rotating the plug used to help but now it either makes them crackle some more or just doesnt do anything, so you can see why I am getting very frustrated hehe. Anyone know whats at fault here? Would replacing the current wire with some higher gauge and replacing the plugs with some better quality gold (or maybe platinum? worth it?) ones do anything?

FlatLine

I have the same problem, only not as pronounced yet.

Currently my front left speaker wire is the issue (traded speakers, same thing). I checked the wire connections, but they don't fit it everytime... it is most annoying for something I spent near $300 on... They are not yet even a week old.

Hi all,

This is my first post here, glad to be one of the proud owner of Promedia 4.1

I've had this for a month now and really love it more and more everyday.

One annoying thing that I can't stand is the same as you guys. Have to twist, turn, unplug and plug those 1/8 connectors very often.

Perhaps the mod here has some idea on how to help solving this problem.

• 1 month later...

I had the same problem as you described. I ended up soldering some 16-gauge wire directly to the woofer terminals, and routing the wire out through the hole where the jack used to reside. A bit of black silicon to seal the hole and they work perfect. As a side benefit, I was able to customize all the wire lengths for an exact fit. No more static or loss of volume in any of the channels now, just nice clean sound. I still cannot believe Klipsch chose that 1/8 jack solution in the first place, it would not cost that much more for a decent connector. The only downfall to this solution is you will void any warranty you have remaining by doing it.

how much did soldering and rewiring the speakers cost you if you have no supplies lying around watsso ever.. im still pondering about weather to get 4.1's or just get the 5.1 with the better wire/sub/center just for the hundred.. but they say there has been alot of hissing on that too.. ahhh i dont know..

Well, I already had a soldering iron and solder, but for the wire and silicon it cost maybe $20. I bought a 100 foot roll of 16 gauge wire at Radio Shack for somewhere around $15, and I got the black colored silicon at an auto parts store for around $5. If you had to buy a solering iron and solder, add about $10-$15 to that cost.