Custom center question.

firefighter

Sorry for the goof on the previous post. I have been happily talked into building a custom center by this forum. In a few years I will eventually have a set of Lascala's or Belle's and will be building the center for those speakers. Which tweeter and mid horns do I need to be looking for, Ebay has some used horns for sale one needs a diaphram they are out of the Lascala's, also what problems or cost could I run into from used horns. And which crossovers are the better ones, plastic or metal horns. I have a lot of questions but really what I need to know is what components to buy and where. The other questions can wait.

Thanks,

Jack.

----------------

On 12/26/2003 3:16:55 PM newsystm wrote:

which crossovers are the better ones, plastic or metal horns.

----------------

I just went back to read your other post to find out what you are currently using. If you have Heresy II's now, you would want to find another H-II of similar year & use the components from that. It works the best if you can match as many things as possible.

You do not say what size TV you will be using. I will guess that you will be using a large set since you need a custom center. If you are using a smaller TV, try to get three matching La Scala's or Belle's across the front. You will be glad you did.

Although I have Belle's in front, I did not have the room for a Belle center with a 61" RPTV, so my only choice was to use Heresy components for my center. The mid horn is the most important part for timber matching, so I used the mid & tweeter from a Heresy, & matched them to a pair of 8" woofers. I am also using the Heresy crossover. It timber matches very well, & I have been very happy with it.

If you are going with a bigger set, but still have the room for a bigger box than what I have, maybe try to get a set of Belle horns & make a custom box with a pair of 10" woofers.

Many of us here have done custom centers different ways, & have had very good luck. Even as bad a woodworker as I am, it still came out great.

There is everything that you need to have to build a pair of LaScalas on ebay right now. There will also be more parts when your more ready to decide what you need. I would wait untill you see if you get a pair of LaScalas or Belles for your mains before deciding to build a LaScala center channel. Or buy these parts now and build a pair of LaScalas for your mains. You also have to ask yourself if you can mount a LaScala or Belle above your TV. It can be done, there is always a way, but do you have the skills and imagination to pull it off? A lot of people on this Forum say that they don't have the room to do so. That is Bull, one can always figure out a way to do something if they want it bad enought. You can also hire a cabinet maker to build the type of cabinetry to mount such a speaker above the TV.

Most of the time I find it cheaper to buy a pair of LaScalas instead of the parts to build one. Don't get me wrong, I bought a lot of parts on ebay. It's easier to have them shipped then a pair of LaScalas.

I think you know what you need. You need K77 tweeter, K55 mid. K-400 horn, K33 woofer, and the AL network. All of these are on ebay right now. Don't worry about which is a better network right now. When something better then the AL comes around you can buy it and sell the AL for what you bought it for. Do you want to spend $500.00 on a network right now? If so you can build one or buy the ALK. I also wouldn't worry about the difference between the 400 and the 401 horn. The 400 will resonate a little more then the 401, but that too shouldn't be an issue at this time. First,just get any old pair of LaScalas. They will sound better then anything elce that you can buy for the same amount of money. Used ones are a bargain and a half.

I built this center to match the timbre of my LaScala mains. It is constructed from Heresy horns and a pair of Focal woofers. The cabinet is sized the same as the LS HF section to provide a balanced look. I am very pleased withthe results. The timbre match is perfect and the freq curve center tests solid to slightly below 60 Hz. The crossover is modified with Solen and Hovland components to match the LaScala crossovers I built. I am considering a remake of the cabinet to match the stain color of my LaScalas, in lieu of the black color. If your not in a hurry, we may be able to work something out. Take a look and email me if your interested.

post-10812-13819250819128_thumb.jpg

Sorry it took do long to reply, been working. It looks as though I may need to wait until I get the right mains before I worry about the center, I guess I got a little too enthused and was putting the cart before the horse. I'll just keep reading and making notes. Thanks for all the input.

Jack.

• 15 years later...
On 12/27/2003 at 5:24 AM, brother said:

I built this center to match the timbre of my LaScala mains. It is constructed from Heresy horns and a pair of Focal woofers. The cabinet is sized the same as the LS HF section to provide a balanced look. I am very pleased withthe results. The timbre match is perfect and the freq curve center tests solid to slightly below 60 Hz. The crossover is modified with Solen and Hovland components to match the LaScala crossovers I built. I am considering a remake of the cabinet to match the stain color of my LaScalas, in lieu of the black color. If your not in a hurry, we may be able to work something out. Take a look and email me if your interested.

post-10812-13819250819128_thumb.jpg

Very pretty. I am looking at doing similar also with Heresy parts.   perhaps only the standard 12 inch woofer.  What Focal woofers did you use? 8inch? 10 inch?  What crossover? I gather you used std Heresy Xover for the mid/high but what for the woofers? Their impedances , efficiencies? etc?   You say timber matched, sure for the mids/highs but so much of our hearing is in the under 700Hz range where the woofers operate.  I have 2 Eminence Alpha 8A to use.  but their impedance curves are very far from the K22 that I fear using the same LF circuit./inductor.   thanks