Which sub to use wuth RF3's?

Elwood

I plan on getting a a pair of rf3's in the next couple of weeks. They will be connected to my Denon AVR3300. Which sub will work best? Should I use the subwoofer output or L&R pre-outputs?

I meant with, not wuth. I guess you can't edit the topic!

------------------

"It's 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

We're gonna need a price range to work with here. Also, what do your listen too? When you say, "What sub works best?", I could recommend a $10000 unit but I'm pretty sure that's not what you meant.

The KSW series is OK. SVS subs are great for movies (apparantly, no one seems to have first hand experience w/svs), velodynes are all pretty good, check out paradigm too.

I'd like to keep the price below $800. I will be using it for movies and music. I listen to blues, jazz, rock, and alternative.

------------------

"It's 106 miles to Chicago. We got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark, and we're wearing sunglasses."

Do you have any stores around where you can listen to equipment? If so, you should do that. Otherwise, check out the following:

Paradigm PW2200 - 12 inch, 250 watt, high output, 20 Hz extension, roughly $600- $800 (I think)

Velodyne CT-150 - 15 inch, 300 watt, HO, 20 Hz, $700 or so (at circuit city) check out CT-120 also

HSU VTF-2 10 inch, 150 watt, 90 dB@20 Hz, <$500, can be found online

KSW-12/15 - 12/15 inch, 105/265 watts, good output above 30 Hz, $300/$500 online

Also anything from B&W, Missions subs are OK, Boston makes musical stuff (I think), etc etc. Get back to us when you've had a chance to listen to some subs.

I have RF3's and I went with the kSW-12 for the sub. It sound nice when to turn it on for movies. (BOOM BOOM)I dont realy use it much for songs as the RF3's seem to have alot of bass in them already so for music I turn the sub down to a very low FEQ of about 30 i think it is

gt a mirage ss-1500 subowoofer if you can..it has a digital amp built in for up to 1500 watts of raw power baby!!! and it will knock your sox off!!

------------------

my equipment:

klipsch rf-3 (main)

klipsch center ch speaker

boston acoustics (rear)

mirage ss-1500 subwoofer

yamaha 795 receiver driving center and rears

adcom 545 amp driving rf-3s

mirage subwoofer 1500 watts!

sony 650 dvd/cd player

sony minidisc/cd player combo

panasonic hifi vcr

waiting to see what new reference line will sound like in 2001!!

I like used or close- out models and I would budget as much for a super powerful sub as you spent of the front pair of speakers! especially if yopu like movies, but it adds so much to the music listening experience to have that solid sound in the low end, particularly if you have delicate sounding tube amps, as I do, for the mid range and high end, I bought Klipsch subs (twice now) because they were close-out models and have high output, but I looked at a close-out B&K model that was monster size, but cheap and powerful ...

M&K is a little pricey but the sealed box concept appears to have faster tighter bass than a potentially "thumpy" sub.

I use the Klipsch 8 inch sub set real low just to fill out the bottom end of my RB5 s.

You can add a sub for $ 300 on the low end of JBL or Klipsch; or you can add an M&K 12 incher or perhaps a Paradigm Servo 15 for way over $ 1000 delivering powerful performance under 25 hz.

My considerations are:

1. Wait for the new Klipsch models

2. HSU Research VTF 2

3. M&K