Crown vs. QCS amps:

kenratboy

I am looking to replace my dead Parts Express plate amp with a new EQ (ART 351 looks cool) and amp. I know Crown and QSC are both good companies and both make $300 amps I like (600-800 watts 8 ohms bridged) - however, do you think one brand is better overall? I am partial to Crown, as they are part of Harman International, and all the dealings I have had with them (JBL, JBL Pro, Harman Kardon, and AKG) have been EXCELLENT (customer service was AWESOME.) Would a new (I want new, but I will be hitting the pawn shops soon...) Crown amp be good? I am looking at the XLS 402 for $300 from Musicians Friend. It is no frills, and thats what I want.

$100 for the ART 351 EQ (has a good high pass on it)

$330 for the Crown XLS 402 (800 watts)

Sound good? As it is, I have no subwoofer right now 8.gif

i would recommend the crown over the qsc in terms of used amps....

the biggest weakness in the qsc amps is the obnoxiously loud fans.... if you can find a geat price on a used qsc... go for it... but plan to replace the 24 volt fan with something quieter

also...be sure to hook it up in bridged mode and crank it up before you leave the pawn shop..

I've used (& prefer) Crown amps for decades. They may not be in the same league sonically as the tube stuff I use, but I don't understand why some people constantly slam their amps. They first started getting a bad rap when "Otala distortion" (transient modulation distortion) was brought to everyone's attention sometime back in the 70's. This type of distortion seemed to be predominant in many SS amps, especially those with high amounts of negetive feedback (which Crown used to 'brag' about). I have a letter from Crown stating that Matti Otala himself had tested Crown amps for this kind of distortion & found them to be free of TMD. So I think the 'bad sound' is primarily in many folks heads. Hell, even Absolute Sound once reviewed the Crown DC300A with the legendary Infinity Servo-Statics & said how great it was & that this was probably the ultimate amp to drive them with (funny how the Infinity SS is still highly regarded, but Crown 'sounds bad' to this same crowd, AFTER the TMD thing came about).

But be careful. Crown has broadened it's product line, especially into lower price points. I doubt you're going to get the same sound quality (& possibly reliability/longevity) out of their XLS or CE products as you would from their D, K or Reference series products. On the other hand, one of their claims to fame is basically being 'customer proof' (as one Crown engineer told me). I still have some of my very first Crown gear from 30 years ago. It's been left on all the time.

Just for reference, IMO, the old D60 is one of their best sounding amps if you can make use of a low power amp. The SA2 & PSA2 can be had for a song. They sound pretty smooth with horns. The fan noise (even at very low 'idle' speed) can be a problem if your room is very quiet. I'm thinking of selling mine (275w/ch@8ohms, about 800w/ch@2ohms) if anyone is interested.

Wow, it gets better and better 3.gif

Basically, I am looking for a good, powerful amp (1000 watts would not be overkill for this sub), and obviously, pro is the way to go. I don't have a lot of cash, so I am looking at the used market now. There are plenty of pawn shops in Reno, as well as music stores. However, the ART 351 looks really nice for $100.

Good post artto. Give me a Crown DC300A any day however I've had good luck with some of the QSC stuff compared to the newer and less expensive Crowns. I still prefer Crown if forced to make a choice. Ken, the ART 351 works O.K for me with my SVS subs just make sure you have it well grounded.

artto,

there are some very good professional amps out there... and crown makes some of the best of them....

i think that even in the lower end of the crown lin you still get great reliability and sound..(esp for a subwoofer)...

the fan issue can be addressed by replacing the stock fan with a quieter alternative.... not too hard to find if you look hard enough....

but you are right that many "audiophools" look down at "mere" commercial amps.... it's their loss....

i still would like to have a crown K1 in my system for a week to audition... or even better..one of their studio reference series....

1.gif

----------------

On 12/31/2003 11:10:02 PM minn_male42 wrote:

but you are right that many "audiophools" look down at "mere" commercial amps.... it's their loss....

i still would like to have a crown K1 in my system for a week to audition... or even better..one of their studio reference series....

1.gif"
----------------

I have a 150 pound professional movie theater bass cabinet - why would you NOT want a high-current pro amp to drive it? I love pro gear. My dream HT would have JBL Pro drivers and Crown Studio Reference amps.

I will also pimp a 8u rack for the gear.

• Klipsch Employees

Both are good.

When we set up a cemina with Klipsc pro speakers, we use QSC.

We use QSC in our lab as well. The powerlight units are quiet. If you short a speaker wire, they tell you by shuting down and turning on again. In the 4 years in the lab here, we have never had to replace a QSC amp.

That is what I plan to use in my HT.

i had considered getting one of the new qsc sra series amps.... designed for home use with quieter fans..... i ultimately went with a carver professional ZR amp.....

sra_series.jpg

Building upon QSC's widely recognized reputation throughout the cinema industry as "The Power Behind the Pictures," the SRA (Studio Reference Amplifier) series power amplifiers bring world-class audio performance to recording studios, high-end home theaters, and numerous additional applications. The SRA series encompasses three modelsthe SRA 1222, SRA 2422, and the SRA 3622. Power points for these models range from 200 watts/channel at 8 ohms through 725 watts/channel at 8 ohms. The SRA amplifiers draw upon the company's expertise in high frequency (HF) switching power supplies and include the popular DataPort for integration with optional crossover and DSP modules.

The SRA's exemplary performance is a result of QSC's advanced HF switch mode power supply technology. This technology enables the amplifiers to weigh considerably less than conventional transformer driven models while also occupying less rack space. The benefit is crystal-clear highs, smooth and accurate mids, and a powerful, articulate low-end responsedesigned to add that extra realism to your audio playback. Further, a full complement of connectors facilitates easy integration into virtually any environment.

QSC's SRA series amplifiers also boast useful features such as individually selectable clip limiters and subsonic filters, front-mounted gain controls, plus signal and clip LED indicators to monitor performance. SRA series amplifiers can be configured for stereo, parallel, or bridged mono operation. A rear-panel 12V trigger interfaces with all popular remote-control and surround sound processor devices for seamless integration into modern systems. As expected from the world's largest producer of professional power amps with an unparalleled reputation for reliability and customer support, the SRA series amplifiers deliver performance you can count on.

FEATURES

Active inrush limitingwill not blow circuit breakers at turn-on

A hum-free noise floor and ultra low distortion

Optional DSP modules for enhanced signal control

Short circuit, DC, subsonic, and thermal overload protection

Tamper proof gain control security cover

LED indicators for power, signal, and clip

Detachable rack ears included

Only 22 lb. net (10 kg) for easy racking and shipping

Selectable subsonic filters: off, 20 Hz, or 50 Hz

RCA inputs

12V DC control trigger

Quiet variable speed fan

3-year warranty plus optional 3-year extension available

here you go!

(from musicians friend)

Click here for all products by QSC.

QSC RMX 850 Power Amp

Product (#481563)

$299.99

481563.jpg

Clean, dynamic power and reliability pros depend on.

QSC has combined their rugged high-output designs with the latest circuit technology to deliver unmatched performance at a breakthrough price. The RMX amps require only 2 rack spaces and feature 1/4" TRS, XLR, and barrier strip balance inputs; binding post and Neutrik Speakon® outputs; front-mounted gain controls for easy access; independent and defeatable clip limiters; selectable low-frequency filters (30Hz or 50Hz) that protect speakers and increase headroom; signal and clip LED indicators; independent DC and thermal overload protection on each channel; variable-speed fan. The RMX850 delivers per channel: 200W at 8 ohms, 300W at 4 ohms, 430W at 2 ohms. Bridge mono: 600W at 8 ohms, 830W at 4 ohms. 3-year warranty.

Features:

Unmatched performance at a breakthrough price

Require 2 rack spaces

1/4" TRS, XLR, and barrier strip balanced inputs

Binding post and Neutrik Speakon outputs

Front-mounted gain controls for easy access

Independent and defeatable clip limiters

Selectable low-frequency filters (30Hz or 50Hz)

Signal and clip LED indicators

Independent DC and thermal overload protection

Variable speed fan

Stereo: 200W at 8 ohms

Stereo: 300W at 4 ohms

Stereo: 430W at 2 ohms

3-year warranty

My vote is for a good used crown psa2

I have 2 that I use one for rec..

studio power amp and one for home use.

The psa2 crown is real smooth with horns it hold it own aganst my threshold amp and scott tube amps.

i have never noticed any sound coming from the fans when playing music they are (if working right) very very quite.

The can be bought on ebay cheap.

Back in the day they were the top choice for recoding studios over such amps as mcintosh.

I think they may be the best used amp vaule on the planet.

when bridged mono they can put out a lot of power and are rated down to 2 ohms.

if you are considering used, there are many more options in your price range....

just a word of caution.... alot of times someone is selling an amp because something is wrong with it..... maybe it has a hum, cuts out at high volumes, or has something else "not right".....

after having so-so luck in buying amps and other stuff from ebay, i decided that i wasn't going to buy anyone else's problems anymore.....

personally, i love the idea of a brand new piece of equipment with that warranty!!!!

----------------

On 12/29/2003 5:25:45 PM kenratboy wrote:

I am looking to replace my dead Parts Express plate amp with a new EQ (ART 351 looks cool) and amp. I know Crown and QSC are both good companies and both make $300 amps I like (600-800 watts 8 ohms bridged) - however, do you think one brand is better overall? I am partial to Crown, as they are part of Harman International, and all the dealings I have had with them (JBL, JBL Pro, Harman Kardon, and AKG) have been EXCELLENT (customer service was AWESOME.) Would a new (I want new, but I will be hitting the pawn shops soon...) Crown amp be good? I am looking at the XLS 402 for $300 from Musicians Friend. It is no frills, and thats what I want.

$100 for the ART 351 EQ (has a good high pass on it)

$330 for the Crown XLS 402 (800 watts)

Sound good? As it is, I have no subwoofer right now
8.gif

----------------

Hi Ken its been a while...happy New year

The QSC or the Crown are excellent choices

Sonically they are very close..QSC is faster..i think.

I can vouch for the crown because ive used many of the them over the yrs,. and can speak for their Cement truck

reliablity.

Especially earlier on ,with racks of DC-300a and D150A

BUT...

ANother good amp for a sub is a Bryston 4b

Cheers

Rob