4.1 ---> 5.1 Upgrade

asudhir

I know the 5.1's aren't even out yet, but I am in anticipation for a 4.1 to 5.1 upgrade package. I just bought my 4.1's in March, and it's torture to see the new 5.1's come out, and me not be able to do anything about it. So Amy, if you read this, please make sure that Klipsch hears that some of us (I'm sure) want an upgrade package. Thanks Amy!

*zen

• Moderators

I really doubt this can be done because of all the changes made to the sub/sats/control pod (the 4.1s/2.1s have a preamp in the control pod, the 5.1s won't)...the cost of getting an "upgrade package" would most likely be the cost of the 5.1 system itself because you'd have to buy all the parts!

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

quote:

I really doubt this can be done because of all the changes made to the sub/sats/control pod (the 4.1s/2.1s have a preamp in the control pod, the 5.1s won't)...the cost of getting an "upgrade package" would most likely be the cost of the 5.1 system itself because you'd have to buy all the parts!

I understand your point Amy, but since the satellites appear to be indentical except for their wires and the spring clip connections a 5.1 upgrade would be very simple. Here's what I'm thinking:

The upgrade kit would consist of 1) the new sub, 2) the new control pod, 3) the new center, and 4) the necessary cables/wires to connect these items. Simply connect the old satellites with their original wires(after removing the old control pod, of course) and you have a 5.1 system! Biggrin.gif

Yes, the upgrade would differ from the new 5.1 with respect to the satellite wires and their connections to the satellites, but I think virtually all potential upgraders would be more than happy to live with this.

Alternatively upgraded satellite wires (with mini jacks) could be included, but I think this would be better kept as a seperate upgrade package for anyone who wants to replace older ProMedia wires (whether they are upgrading to 5.1 or not).

The beauty of the above type of upgrade is that it would work with either the v.2-400 or the 4.1. Smile.gif

Sure, it wouldn't be cheap - but presumably the cost would represent a significant savings as compared to a new 5.1 system, since you're eliminating the sats and their wires.

Biggrin.gif

• Moderators

It would cost more to do this than purchasing a new system. There's special packaging and shipping to consider, plus the bulk of the cost of the system in in the subwoofer alone.

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

quote:

It would cost more to do this than purchasing a new system.

Just to clarify: are you saying that selling the 5.1 without the 4 satellites (my proposed upgrade package) would actually cost more than a complete system? Confused.gif

If so, how could this be? I understand that there is shipping and handling to consider, but the shipping would be less than the full 5.1 (minus the weight of the satellites), and this would probably be true of packaging as well (since the upgrade would likely be brown boxed). Even in the worst case of shipping and packaging being equal to the 5.1, there would be the difference in the cost of the satellites (however small a portion of the total cost this may be).

Now if what you are saying is combined cost of the old system and an upgrade package would be higher, that's another story. Nevertheless, those who already own perfecty good 4.1 or v.2-400 satellites and want to migrate to 5.1 may be find it a lot easier to justify the cost of an upgrade than that of a new system.

trust me, if klispch thought that they could help you guys out by making an upgrade, they would have. they made teh 4.2 for ppl wanting the 4.1... what you should do is stop complaining. the wiring in the satelites and the sub are different... that could casue problems and more ocmplaints from ppl like you who want to get more than they deserve. if you sold your 4.1 on the net, eg eBay, and considered how much you would spend on the "upgrade" you might be able to afford 5.1's. The reason it would cost more is that they would need a totally different assembly line, new boxes built, new specs, it would just be too much for a product that many ppl would probably not buy, just a sselective few. what ppl buying such systems like the promedias should do is realize that things improve. and in good companies, they listen to their customers and do waht they say... you can not get mad at klipsch for just answering our prayeres for a 4.1 system improvement and then the 5.1 system. we ask for a Digital Decoder... what are we getting? A digital decoder. Klipsch delivers... Give amy some slack, she just does her job to help, she can not make a whole new system.cwm28.gif

------------------

-justin

http://www.fortunecity.com/campus/berry/88/

• Moderators

Keep in mind the ProMedias are manufactured overseas, and shipped to Klipsch as complete systems. When we start breaking down system into parts, the cost of all the parts put together adds up to more than the whole. This is true with many things...Isn't it cheaper to purchase a computer already put together than it is to buy each piece separately, including all the software? Maybe that's not a realistic comparison, but you get the idea.

I still have not said this will be impossible; just unlikely, and probably not practical. There will certainly be announcements on the website if this is considered to be a viable option.

------------------

Amy

ProMedia Tech Support

promediatech@klipsch.com

quote:

trust me, if klispch thought that they could help you guys out by making an upgrade, they would have. they made teh 4.2 for ppl wanting the 4.1... what you should do is stop complaining. the wiring in the satelites and the sub are different... that could casue problems and more ocmplaints from ppl like you who want to get more than they deserve.

Nobody's complaining here - just trying to have a constructive discussion. My point was that it seems illogical that the 5.1 minus the satellites would cost more then the complete 5.1 package. Yes, the sub is different - that's the reason it would be included in the upgrade. The satellite wireing also differs - that was acknowleged in the post - but there is absolutely no technical reason why the satellites could not be connected with their existing wires. No new problems would result (functionally the 4.1 sats are identical with respect to their electronics and drivers, the v.2-400 sats differ only in their crossovers). The only problems that would occur would be those that might already exist with the original cables but, as indicated, I think most upgraders would be comfortable with that - and a seperate wire upgrade is always an option.

quote:

if you sold your 4.1 on the net, eg eBay, and considered how much you would spend on the "upgrade" you might be able to afford 5.1's.

I agree that selling the old system and then using that money for a new 5.1 may be a very good option for many who want to go to 5.1. Recently even the v.2-400s seem to be going for nearly their original price. That would be a matter of personal preference and would depend on the actual cost of the proposed upgrade.

quote:

The reason it would cost more is that they would need a totally different assembly line, new boxes built, new specs, it would just be too much for a product that many ppl would probably not buy, just a sselective few. what ppl buying such systems like the promedias should do is realize that things improve. and in good companies, they listen to their customers and do waht they say... you can not get mad at klipsch for just answering our prayeres for a 4.1 system improvement and then the 5.1 system. we ask for a Digital Decoder... what are we getting? A digital decoder. Klipsch delivers... Give amy some slack

Yes, there would be costs related to assembling and packaging a new product, but again I find it hard to believe that these would not only offset but also surpass the cost of the four satellites. True, there would have to be sufficient demand for such a product. Whether this would amount to a select few is an open question; certainly there are is a large installed base of v.2-400s out there, so there would seem to be the potential for a substantial demand. Nobody here is mad or claiming that Klipsch does not listen (if I felt they didn't listen, I wouldn't be spending the time making the suggestion). Nor do I think it is the case that ProMedia buyers do not realize or appreciate that technology improves. I believe they do, but where there is sufficient demand and it is technically possible (as is the case here) upgrades can be wonderful thing for both the manufacturer and the product owner. And one more thing: I'm not picking on Amy (everyone knows that Amy rules! Wink.gif).

quote:

Keep in mind the ProMedias are manufactured overseas, and shipped to Klipsch as complete systems. When we start breaking down system into parts, the cost of all the parts put together adds up to more than the whole. This is true with many things...Isn't it cheaper to purchase a computer already put together than it is to buy each piece separately, including all the software?

Understood, but the suggestion doesn't really entail breaking it down into its respective parts (and of course the computer analogy holds for different reasons). The proposed upgrade would only differ from the full product in that the satellites would not be included(and perhaps their wires would be excluded as well, if they are already packaged seperately from the other wires/cables).

Perhaps it wouldn't be practical, but I think it just might - and it's ceratinly worthy of serious consideration.

Why can't we purchase a powered center channel, so that we could at least hook into the center channel jack on the sound card. The volume would obviously have to be controlled off computer software (it seems this could be fixed by an Subwoofer-Surround-Volume control pad that could connect into the center channel).

C'mon guys, we know you want to sell units, but think about it. I just got the 4.1 last month.

Hey all,

Newbie here. Love the v-2400 sound, I want DTS without buying new speakers. I have found an external DTS decoder made by Jazz Speakers... Obscure company... but by buying a center channel it may be possible to run 5.1 using the original four sattelites and sub (and a newly aquired center channel speaker) and running the sound from the decoder's channel output (Surr L/R, L/R, center/sub) instead of the sub itself. This decoder, the Jazz De-006, is made for computers, thank God. However, with some creative engineering, it may be possible to derive DTS!!!! for under 200 bucks (buying a new speaker and the unit itself, which supposedly retails for 145 bucks. Just a thought, any ideas anyone else???

Tsound