RP3 Powered Towers

stvans

I just purchased a pair of the RP3 Powered Towers.

Owning these speakers for just a little over a week, I allready believe these are the best speakers that I have ever owned.

Does any one else have any comments pertaining to these speakers.

Lastly, is the RC3 the best matching center speaker for the RP3s?

Steve

This message has been edited by stvans on 06-13-2001 at 12:41 PM

stvans, great speaks. yes no doubt the rc-3 is the best match for them. there is a new rc-7, but it's a lot more $ & though i haven't heard it my guess would be it may be overpowering for the rp-3.

if u do a search(above) for rp under like home theater,

general quests or any other of the home audio categories u should find some commentary on them.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnects & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

• 2 weeks later...

I too own a pair of the RP-3s. I have owned them for nearly a year now. I bought them instead of a pair of B&W CDM7NTs. I felt they were as clean as the B&W speakers and projected the music further into the listener's soundfield. They also seemed to be nearly as even throughout the audible sound range as the B&Ws, except that the RP-3s had extended bass response (almost overwhelming, but can be controlled) and the high treble frequencies roll-off slightly (barely audibly) more quickly than the B&Ws.

I am stunned that Klipsch has decided to discontinue this speaker and its companion the RP-5. Does anyone know the official reason why these speakers have been discontinued?

Yeah, but I've heard the Sp-1 in an A/B comparison with the RP-3. RP-3 wins hands down. (I think the main difference is in the sealed woofer instead of the vented woofer of the Sp-1 and RP-5)

I also felt that the RP-3 was a better sounding speaker than the RF-3. Unfortunately, the RF-3 was sold at a much lower price, hence better sales numbers. Perhaps the RF-3,5,7 should have been spun into a line of their own, leaving the Rp-3, Rp-5, RB-3,RC3 etc, to the Reference series line.

Seems like the RF series is just a repackaging of the SF-2 speaker. Apparently Klipsch doesn't feel there is enough duplication in that line.

In any case, the exit of the RP-3 and RP-5 from the Klipsch lineup leaves a serious shortage of true three-way systems from most Klipsch dealer show floors. Not sure how you can say that there was no room for a great speaker.

Let me try to put this delicately, ahhh forget that. cwm1.gif

the rf-3 and many good, well-placed powered subs that together msrp around the same price as the $1500 msrp of the rp-3 will abolutely kill the rp-3 in every aspect of audio listening. that in a nutshell is why they're discontinued as klipsch apparently could not live with that truism any longer. rp speaks still sound good, but comparing them to the other reference speaks price to price, you're really just paying up for the all-in-one space saving design,

whether you need it or not.

------------------

go forth & hump the world

forresthump-

Delicate words come with refinement. I should not expect that your delicate choice of words would be any different from your ability to choose the better of two speakers.

With comments like yours, I expect that I'll find you at the local Walmart checking out those "great sounding" Lloyds "stereos" next.

The point that you overloked is that with the RF-3 and the very similar SF-2, why would you want another two speakers that are just like it. Seems that the cheapening of the Klipsch line of speakers continues.

cc-109 you weren't even a keen enough listener to choose the far superior RP-5 for a meager $500 or less additional. and any listener with any sense of listening ability will find the rf-3 far superior to any synergy speaker.

and of course the rf-3 doesn't have as much low bass as the RP-3 with two powered subs built-in. might also explain the big price difference though huh?

why are you so upset that klipsch discontinued a speaker you already have? must be doubting your purchase. you'll learn some day

------------------

go forth & hump the world

This is a follow-up to my first post.

The more I listen to the RP 3's the mid's are starting sound 'muddy' and the bass sounds too 'boomy'.

So I did the following.

1) disconnected the subwoofer cables going to the Line In connections on the rear of the RP 3's.

2)Adjusted the Bass Contour to "Flat"

3)Made sure the Line Level Adjustment is set to "Normal"

4)Move the speakers out to approximately 10 inches from the wall.

The mids still sound "muddy" and the bass is less "boommy". I still think that they should sound a little "crisper"

I am also thinking of bi-wiring the speakers.

Any suggestions on how to get a "cripser", less "boomy" sound from these speakers?

Thanks

Steve

using the interconnects from your sub out to the RP(nonfiltered) LFE ins is in effect biwiring. though u should still leave the connectors attached to the high & low speaker terminals.

then set sub:yes, put the fronts on small, rp rear port

at least 6-7" from back wall, flat or not too much gain on the bass contour for a start.

w/ this set-up the (filtered) line jacks & control are moot. your receiver does the filtering to it's sub out. so u may have to make some further adjustments in the receiver. like fronts & sub, LFE level, equalizer, etc. maybe try setting the sub output at

-10db then turn up the bass contour on the rp.

use a sound meter for the level adjustments though & rock on.

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C-7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect & Monster CX-2 biwire & Z-12 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2000 digital cable box

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3 (front), RC-3, cheap little Technics (rear)

Monster MCX Biwires

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

Sega Genesis game player

Sub: None yet

rock on!

I solved my problem.

By mistake I had my subwoofer out on my receiver connected to both the Line In and the LFE inputs.

I disconnected the LFE input and it sounded like a completely different speaker.

These speakers really sound great.

Could I have damaged the speakers having both the

Line In and LFE inputs connected at the same time??

Steve

Stvans-

Doubtful that you damaged your speakers. I agree, these are great sounding speakers.

As for the RP-5 being a "..far superior speaker" I can say without a doubt that the RP-5 and RP-3 are very similar in their characteristics, except that the Rp-5 had the extra resonance (and distortion) that comes with a ported bass system. The 8" midrange (actually about 7") of the RP-5 is so far "superior" to the 6.5" (actually about 5") midrange of the Rp-3 that Klipsch designed the crossover so that the horn loaded tweeter would take more of the frequency load from the 8" driver of the Rp-5 than the 6.5" driver of the Rp-3 (HF crossover for the Rp-3 is at 2750hz while the Rp-5 is at 1950hz). I guess that 8" driver of the Rp-5 has some annoying characteristics above 1950hz (1975hz for the RF-3..oh yeah, that's a different part number)??

Hmm..barely a reference tonight on the Klipsch website of the RF-3. I'm greeted with the link, "We are sorry but this product is currently not available." Have they discontinued this speaker too?

st, technically u should connect the sub out ONLY to the LFE ins of your RP & leave the bridges/gold straps or wire connected to the high & low speaker terminals.

u shouldn't use the line inputs of the rp because they are filtered as is also the sub out of your receiver (dual filtering technically not good).

in fact the klipsch manual states not to have the gold straps on or high-low connected to each other when using the Line Inputs of the rp.

i'd try using JUST the LFE ins of the RP. may not hear

any difference but again technically that's the way to go. if the line in only connect seems to sound better then i guess that's the way to go cwm30.gif,

but i'd then at least remove the high low connect as the manual advises. doubt u damaged the speaks though.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 07-13-2001 at 03:35 PM

• 19 years later...
On 7/10/2001 at 4:19 PM, cc1091 said:

Stvans-

Doubtful that you damaged your speakers. I agree, these are great sounding speakers.

As for the RP-5 being a "..far superior speaker" I can say without a doubt that the RP-5 and RP-3 are very similar in their characteristics, except that the Rp-5 had the extra resonance (and distortion) that comes with a ported bass system. The 8" midrange (actually about 7") of the RP-5 is so far "superior" to the 6.5" (actually about 5") midrange of the Rp-3 that Klipsch designed the crossover so that the horn loaded tweeter would take more of the frequency load from the 8" driver of the Rp-5 than the 6.5" driver of the Rp-3 (HF crossover for the Rp-3 is at 2750hz while the Rp-5 is at 1950hz). I guess that 8" driver of the Rp-5 has some annoying characteristics above 1950hz (1975hz for the RF-3..oh yeah, that's a different part number)??

Hmm..barely a reference tonight on the Klipsch website of the RF-3. I'm greeted with the link, "We are sorry but this product is currently not available." Have they discontinued this speaker too?

I have owned both the RP 5 and the RP 3. I sold the RP 5, and still have the RP 3

The reason the RP 5 has a lower crossover point is because the 8 inch midrange will not go up as high as the 6.5 inch midrange of the RP 3, and it does not have as good dispersion. The RP 3 IMHO is the better speaker. It images better with a wider sweet spot, and it's bass Quality is much better, because it has a sealed vs ported woofer.

2 hours ago, ka7niq said:

I have owned both the RP 5 and the RP 3. I sold the RP 5, and still have the RP 3

The reason the RP 5 has a lower crossover point is because the 8 inch midrange will not go up as high as the 6.5 inch midrange of the RP 3, and it does not have as good dispersion. The RP 3 IMHO is the better speaker. It images better with a wider sweet spot, and it's bass Quality is much better, because it has a sealed vs ported woofer.

This thread is almost 20 years old.

5 hours ago, Ceptorman said:

This thread is almost 20 years old.

Ya think ?

Do you think I don't know that, or something ?

WTF ?

This Forum is Dead, compared to what it once was, so one would think that any post here is better than no posts.

Not that it is really any of your business, but my reason for posting to an old thread was to add to the knowledge base of the Klipsch RP 3 and the Klipsch RF 5

Edited by ka7niq
to add content

3 hours ago, ka7niq said:

Ya think ?

Do you think I don't know that, or something ?

WTF ?

This Forum is Dead, compared to what it once was, so one would think that any post here is better than no posts.

Not that it is really any of your business, but my reason for posting to an old thread was to add to the knowledge base of the Klipsch RP 3 and the Klipsch RF 5

Sorry to rattle your cage. But this place does get busy, maybe not as busy as it was decades ago. Most people that resurrect an old thread don't realize how old it was. 

How odd to come here at this time but am grateful for the experience and knowledge. I have owned a a pair of Forte's since the mid eighties - love them and need nothing more till I die. My hearing is not what it used to be but wonder if the caps and resistors might be worn after decades of really loud music. My Q is, might they perk up with a new set of resistors. I still have some hearing left to lose.

Thanks everyone, Adam