Inherited Altec A5X

robB

Hi EVeryone

ITs been a while..happy New yr to all !!

I just inherited a pair of ALtec Voice of the Theatre A5X

Lord help me.....these things are huge

my wife just shakes her head

Now i know why Paul developed the CORNER horn..

Life aint dull .thats for sure,.just gotta figure out what to do with em , after i refinish em

ROb

Rob----The A5s came with one of a variety of mid horns of various dispersion patterns, which horn is used has a great effect on the sound, depending on your room of course. Some have very narrow patterns for long throws and others have wide patterns and work well at the distances used in homes. You probably have horns that are in the 85 to 100 degree horizontal range, wider than the pattern of "real" Kilpsch horn speakers by the way.

Until recently I used A5s with the model 1005 multicell horns; 5 cells wide and 2 cells high. I listened from about 12-15 feet and it was the finest sound I'd ever heard. Many of the members of the Chicago Horn Club felt the same. And I and many in the club have heard damned near everything in horns including complete Servo-Drive Unity systems, one member even has a complete Edgar Titan system.

The 515B woofers used are absolutely and unequivically the finest woofers ever made, not so much for their deep bass but for the uncanny realness of the human voice when reproduced with them, damned things are spooky.

You get those things setup and running right and nothing, and I mean it NOTHING, will surpass them in the 100 to 12,000 hz range, above and below is where the A5's weaknesses show; they are down in level at the frequency extremes. Many live with those weaknesses feeling the speaker's superb overall peformence allows living with the weaknesses, others address the weaknesses with subs and super-tweeters. I used a pair of JBL Pro motion picture theater woofer enclosures, each with a pair of 15s, to augment the A5s and give solid, powerful bass down into the 20s. I lived with the softness in the highs.

After actually getting inside of these,I can't get over how well they are made....of course..3/4 plywood..SOLID.

The sanding starts in a few days, but considering how long they have been sitting and dusty they are in remarkable condition....in build.

Ive been torn on doing the original theatre grey finish,which allways looks great with the two black speakers showing,.. or ready them for some outdoor work comming up this summer,which will be first big test for thme since the refurb.

A buddie of mine has his annual backyard party in June,.and well..when i say backyard party.. its the size of a golf course...nearly... so i have to throw the sound a fair bit!

road ready..meaning handles, dolly wheels proper jack field

and that type of covering like u see on bass guitar amps with the metal edge bumpers and covering,..etc

But i want a real professional look....nothing cheap

I will still sit the cells on the top...they are BIG and will not fit the port area like the 511.

Anyways,...this ALtec stuff is new to me,.as being Klipsch

boy allways,.but have to admit its interesting.

Bet these sound sweet with tubes

hmmm maybe a citation tube amp next.....hehehehe