Another DIY Center

EJH

Well I finally finished this center speaker project, less the grill. I'm no professional but it sure was fun. At $430 including a few new tools, I love the sound even if it's not perfect. In case you're wondering:

Dimensions: 31.5W X 10.5H X 16D

Tweeter: K-76 Heresy II

Squawker: K-53 Heresy II

Woofer: Fostex FE206E (Full Range) each isolated in ~0.74cu. ft., 2.5in ports at ~4.75in length

Crossover: Heresy II, replaced Caps with Solen & Kimber

I will probably replace the coils in the next few months. But for now the spending is on hold.

For the experts out there, let me know what you think. I know you'll be honest before being kind.

By the way my Mains are '86 LaScalas and my room size is 20'x20'.

One thing I will do next time is use shielded drivers. I'm still battling the color distortion. Actually, I am hoping that my TV craps out and I can tempt my wife into a projection or plasma monitor.

My wife gave me The Last Waltz DVD for Christmas and it was a great first experience.

post-5041-13819251300548_thumb.jpg

Here is a view of the room with LaScala.

I built the AV stand, my wife does the decorating.

She was kind enough this year to have two custom glass tops made for the LaScalas. Very nice! plants are still forbbiden.

post-5041-13819251304918_thumb.jpg

Excellent center.

I think you will remain pleased. I too went with the full rangers for my mid-woofs and after 18 months can say that I have no qualms. The mid horn and tweet will give you that seamless front soundstage and the Fostex will really anchor the LF center information better than most others here will know.

Congrats. Let's hope the DIY bug has hit someone else and you too can rationalize outrageous expenditures and convince yourself that nothing sounds better. I do that and I now have a very strong relationship with the rationalization center of my brain.....6.gif

mbajner, I put the woofers (8ohm ea.) in parallel with a 4ohm 10w resistor in series to keep the network at 8ohms.

Thanks everyone for your comments.

I would also like to thank HWATKINS, his design and comments many months ago inspired my design.

Nice Job.

Heritage mains really deserve a Heritage speaker as a center. Welcome to the proud Klipsch Custom Center Club1.gif Our member ship sure is growing1.gif

Just curious - Why did you choose the newer tweet and Squaker over the K77 and K700/K55 older drivers?

Looking at your second pic - IMO, you need a bigger subwoofer in that 20 x 20 room.

Enjoy that center.

JM

JM,

I wanted to use a K77 and K55 but I could never win the bids on eBay. As for the sub, that might be a project for next year!

Thanks again for the comments. I didn't know there was a DIY Center club. Is there a separate post for them?

sorry so late:

P=Positive

N=Negative

<=Speaker

--- = wire

P ---- 4ohm 10W resistor ------(P)----(P)

/ /

< < 8ohm Woofers

/ / (Parallel)

N -----------------------------------(N)----(N)

I'm not sure if there is a noticeable loss across the 4ohm resistor, but it seems to work.

The stand is also a DIY.

I used 1/2in and 3/4in cabinet grade birch plywood and threaded rod (from HD) sprayed black. There is a center back rod (not visible) to add extra support for the TV. I also just added a 14ga. steel plate under the top center shelf and a rotating TV stand (~4" tall) to provide extra shielding and distance from the all the center magnets.

This center project has now topped $500. 6.gif With the completion of the grill yesterday, this project is complete! 16.gif

• 12 years later...

Hello, I am EJH now HJE due to a change in email and forgotten password.

It's hard to believe I built this center speaker over 12 years ago. It's been through a few moves and the grills did not protect the Fostex whizzers from getting crushed by little hands. Nonetheless, it still sounds good. But this first and only center project is coming to an end. Look for a listing in the garage sale soon. The LaScala's are long gone. I replaced them with Heresy's in a downsizing move. They too will be listed for sale as well as the DIY entertainment stand.

Thanks again everyone for your support, inspiration and admiration.

EJH

post-62387-0-66480000-1455175646_thumb.j

I've built two custom centers and experimented quite a bit with them. What I would tell people looking to do such a thing is to be aware of lobing issues, which is in fact a thing. The bigger the woofers, the further they are spread apart, and the higher the crossover, the worse this effect is. If you are at the mercy of a factory crossover and are using large'ish woofers, at the minimum try to keep your woofers as close to the middle as possible, don't spread them apart any more than necessary like on post 8. If at all possible try to build something that is vertically aligned.

Edited by MetropolisLakeOutfitters
  • Thanks 1

• 3 years later...

Revisiting this thread

I have Heresy LR and KLF 7 Center.

I could get a pair of beat up Heresys in order to build a center.  

I also have a pair of Eminence Alpha 8A   8ohms..  4 ohms in parallel.  

Any Idea how those 2 would work?  Would have to modify the cross over for them? 

Thanks