HornEd sees Red...

HornEd

I live in Reno, Nevada (HornEd, Im sure you know where that is) and the Good Guys here is wonderful. It is full of 30-50 year old sales men and woman who arent pushy or smart-assey to you. They have all of the Klipsch in plain view, I seriously havent seen and Bose, yes, Im sure they have it, but out of sight. The store is beautiful and it is never crowded (I lived in Concord, I know the Bay Area very well, its a MESS down there now, not here, all commutes are less than 30 minuets, mine 15.) Anyway, come up here to redneck country and get all of the Klipsch you ever wanted.

Ah yes, kenratboy, yes indeed I know the "Biggest Little City in the World" as a target for my sporting Bay Area family for generations. I also know, first hand, that the folks in and around Reno are some of the friendliest I have ever met. Maybe that's why your Good Guys is full of good guys & gals? Your "redneck" comment tells me their mostly conservative, but I didn't think they were so conservative as to mention the length of their commutes in "minuets" (how well I know the dance of the spellchecker)... although I did enjoy "Riverdance" live the last time I was there. It is amazing how close the "Riverdance" DVD sounds to the Reno experience on my Klipsch based sound system.

I plan to be roaming the Sierra's next week and if we can fit in a side trip and still make the airport on time, my son and I might just roll into a positive Klipsch encounter sooner than you think. I just made a deal for some vintage Cornwall II's from beautiful Jackson Hole, WY, and now my "Klipsch Dealer" faith has been restored by a town well known for the fair play of its dealers. Somehow greatness seems to spring from small-town America... and with all the Klipsch dealer doings, there is still Hope in Arkansas!

This thread has been an "eye opener" for me. It is great to see people speaking out for the "good" and "bad" side of the Klipsch distribution system. It is refreshing to hear of a community where Klipsch buyers are not treated like salmon swimming upstream to spawn their purchasing power in exchange for a little sonic bliss before they cash in their chips. Well, this is one salmon who may be a little smoked but who is determined to stay one jump ahead of the cream cheese! cwm23.gif HornEd

This message has been edited by HornEd on 06-22-2001 at 07:28 AM

Here's a quote from the "RF-5 and RC Centers" thread under Technical Questions:

"JimG, Thanks for the reply. I stopped by the local Tweeter yesterday and after looking it up on the computer. The salesman said they are only getting 5 pairs of RF-5s for 30 stores. He also said the likelihood that his store will get one of those 5 pairs is real slim. I'm sure he was just trying to move his current inventory of speakers first. He kept pushing the 'buy some speakers now and bring them back in thirty days for the RF-5s if we have them' speech. (Legairre)"

I hope the slow stocking of the new Reference speakers is a reflection by high-volume store management that the new Klipsch speakers blow out the competition... even when the competition comes from previously "hot" Klipsch speakers! All I have found roaming Northern California this month is that catching a earful under reasonable conditions is NOT happening!

I have done my part in buying out old inventory from authorized dealers... now I want a slice of tomorrow's sound today! Anybody know any good dealer set-ups to preview the new Reference line up close and personal? cwm6.gif HornEd

HornEd, thanks for understanding that I was in error when suggesting that Good Guys may not have had the RF-7s when you went to listen. Shame they had them and would not comply. I apologize for any offense you may have taken to my comments. I never quit making mistakes but try to avoid making the old ones over and over.

Onward to new mistakes...

Thanks, BobG, for another example of the "BobG Klipsch Class" that keeps so many of us in constant high regard for you. Sorry, if I was a bit sensitive, but trying to keep things on target on this BB is a penchant of mine too. I just seem to have more experience in the mistake department. cwm25.gif

You, personally, have gone a long way to make this board special, BobG, and the freedom to speak out on speaker related issues is second to none. Long may you wave! Wavey.gif HornEd, K-Patriot & "Good Guise" Needlepointer

Hang on HornEd.. I was told by the salesman at Sound Advice the reason the new Klipsch are not on the floor is that "they are not in season now"! I bought all my

Klipsch in that store over the past year and they were aware I was going to put 7's in my office. Guess I will buy over the Internet where they are cheaper anyway.. so much for your local B&M.. I've had it!

------------------

Fronts: KLF30's paired with KSW15's.

Center: KLF-C7

Sides: KSP-S6's paired with Pinacle Baby Boomers.

Rears: KLF-20's with one KSW-12 in between.

Denon AVR-5800

Denon DVD-3300 DVD-A with iScan Pro(Prog scan)

Sony KP-53XBR300 TV

Denon DCM5000/DCM5001 CD Changers

Denon CDR-W1500 CDRW

Denon TU-1500RD Tuner

HHB CDR850 Pro CDRW

Tascam DA-302 Dual DAT

ButtKicker/Behringer EX-1200/Carvin DCM-1000

Monster HTS5000/HTS2500

Hey HornEd,

Do you want to adopt an adult son??? cwm17.gif I'll come and visit for a while and I wouldn't even really mind renting a UHaul to get my new KHorns back to Indy!!! cwm35.gif

PS I am really loving these new KLF30's I was having such doubts about before they arrived! Wow... How can the RF-7's be that much better??? I'd love to hear some feedback from KLF30 owners on how the new RF-7's sound. (I have read what BobG and PhilH have said, but I'm interested in some, ahh, slightly more objective opinions... heheheh cwm30.gif

Mace

This message has been edited by mace on 07-03-2001 at 10:29 PM

I hear ya HornEd. What the F has become of cust. service lately??? I'm almost surprised when i come across it anymore. I guess the chains feel they make enough between them they can afford there bad attitudes. The little guys seem to be more accomodating.

Years ago, i went to a local shop just to look around, and they had Forte II's which were my first experience with Klipsch, and hooked me for good. When i went back not to long ago, i was sad to find that they didn't carry Klipsch anymore, because they guy that buys for them is an old fart that got a bug up is @ss, and decided to punish the local community by not carrying Klipsch anymore (can you feel the bitterness?) They were now pushing Mirage (so-so), AR (some nice stuff) and NHT (power hungry).

Anyway, i bolted for Richmond, where i found a great shop (Audio Express) where i ended up getting my KLF-30's, RS-3's, and C7 for close to internet prices. Unfortunatly, the guy that sold me that stuff recently retired, but it was nice to find a shop where i could wander in, under no pressure, load up there CD player with whatever i wanted, and blast away. They also turned me onto my Yamaha (RX-V3000), and with this setup, i couldn't be happier!!!

Good luck in your persuit of a new Klipsch store!

-Rich

Thanks for the encouragement Rich! Its nice to see you have been successful... Hope you get as much sheer fun out of the RX-V3000 as I have... it's proven a great support piece for my Klipsch collection.

Confused.gif It is so frustrating not to hear the Klipsch new line that I have been satisfying my buying urges with vintage Klipsch from private parties. So far it has been far more delightful, candid and informative than recent dealer doings in this part of the world. It has been a month and still not much Klipsch doings in this bottleneck of the woods.

I realize the few thousand of us on this board may not be a large enough market segment to sway much... but hopefully we can put some positive Wavey.gif waves into motion on the larger consumer ocean. HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such...

And Beatles might sing, "Where have all the R_7's gone?"

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-10-2001 at 08:57 AM

HornEd,

I didnt realize you had the RX-V3000. With all the Yamaha bashing on this board its good to see a vet supporting Yamaha. I have the RX-V1000 with RF3, RC-3 and RS-3. I was beginning to feel insecure about my Yamaha purchase. You have comforted meThank you!

------------------

Sony Trinitron 27" TV

Yamaha RX-V1000

JVC HR-S3800 Super VHS VCR

Sony DVP-S530D DVD Player

Sony Tape

Sony CDP-CE345 Cd player

RF-3 Main

Monster m1.4 Biwire Cables

RC-3 Center

SS-1 Rear

bensilb, If that receiver sounds good to you, that's all that matters...no matter what anyone says. I have been using Yamaha products for years and have nothing but good to report. I purchased a Yamaha RX-V2090 "dolby digital ready" before DVD's took off. This receiver has been CRANKED in this house for years now with not even a hiccup. Sounds powerful and CLEAN. I'll keep it till the wheels fall off! Smile.gif

Take care

Mike (The Yamaha Underdog)

Ben & Mike, the Yamaha RX-V3000 has been a good tool for researching today's HT potential. Since Klipsch speakers are so efficient, 100 watts a channel for 6.1 drives six KLF 30's louder than just about anyone cares to hear them in a single family dwelling. Of course, another 25 watts each for the front effects channels sets a background sound stage that's high, wide and handsome. Add the Yamaha allows setting all the Klipsch speakers to SMALL to allow the Twin SVS CS-Ultras to handle the first octave up to 90 Hz for bottom dwellers for LFE plus the bass under 90 Hz for all speakers.

The blend of Klipsch Legends, SVSubwoofers and Yamaha RX-V3000 provides a seamless realism of tone and timbre from top to bottom and 360° for movies and music. I have tried several other "high end" receivers and was not able to duplicate all the advantages that I already have with the Yamaha.

The strange thing is that this latest buying spree of vintage Klipsch speakers and a pair of subs of the web was triggered by a statement by the my locally authorized store manager who preferred not to put the R_-7 in his storeroom on display. He said he wasn't worried about losing Klipsch clientele since they had no competitors for Klipsch in my area. cwm27.gif

Disrespected clientele should avoid feeding authorized retailers who take a favored product so lightly. HornEd

I understand your frustation; I am really lucky to have Almas HIFI in SE Michigan as my dealer.

It is somewhat of a floorspace challenge for a dealer to fully display the Heritage series. I have never seen more than one of the Heritage line on display at one time.

I just went into a place called Audio Video Alternatives in a north of Detroit to look at an NAD amplifier; I was there for 45 minutes in the store and no one talked to me. Maybe some of these places are looking to provide $ 20k -$ 50k whole house systems and are unimpressed by selling a single component.

I heard of a good place in Windsor, Ontario to go to next called Stereoland. If service is disappointing at the point of sale; service would be worse after the sale.

The search for an adequate dealer is as important as the selection of a component.

I will be going

Here's the perspective from Minneapolis. In the twin Cities, the old Klipsch dealer (Audio King) was bought out by Ultimate Audio about three years ago (although here in the Twin Cities area they have chosen to retain the Audio King name even though it is Ultimate Audio that is running the show). The acquisition has spawned a number of new and large stores with incredibly large display areas and usually good listening rooms and a sales person rotation that nearly guarantees that you'll never see the same sales person twice. what I have had to accept with this merger is that Klipsch speakers have been relagated to the low-end audio listening room where the masses of also ran speakers are lined-up one next to the another, and connected through computerized switchboard with skinny wire to Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood etc equipment. In the TWO high end listening areas one room has the plasma TV surrounded by Martin Logans that are powered by Krell amps (Nothing bu Martin-Logans in that room). The other room has a large HDTV surrounded by Infinity speakers powered by Sunfire amps.

Early last year when I bought my Rp-3s, they had the Klipsch Rp line located in the same listening room as the Martin-Logans (although they powered them with the Adcom amps). I made an A/B comparison with Adcom/Klipsch vs MartinLogan/Krell, and found that I really did not like the Mylar sound of the MLs and also found that the Rp series speakers had a greater soundstage. Soon after that visit, they moved the Klipsch out of that room to their present location.

Here's my theory; They were tired of having people compare the multi-thousand dollar ML/Krell system with the infinitely cheaper Adcom/Klipsch system. Anyone who listens to these two combinations, I'm sure would also come to the conclusion that the ML/Krell combo did not sound so much better to warrant the thousands greater asking price. Also, anyone who is familiar with the old Infinity Speakers (betas especially) knows how terrible the new systems sound. Yet Infinity asks a lot for their speakers, hence a similar policy for the Infinity only listening room.

I understand that the huge store is attempting to limit the damage that having super-expensive equipment sit on the shelf untouched for months would cause, but I would appreciate having decent amps (even Adcom) attached to the Klipsch speakers with decent gauge wire in a listening room that is somewhat better than the one I am subject to presently.

Here is another recent local development: The audio store that is arguably the best in the twin cities (a non-chain with great, though narrow minded when it comes to speakers, sales people) presently carry the Mondial equipment Acurus and Aragon. They have stated that they will not have a Klipsch speaker in their store (they carry B&W almost exclusively). Audio King (the other dealer of note in town)is the largest area audio dealer. They carry Klipsch (though seem to lack commitment to Klipsch), but do not carry Mondial equipment. With the recent purchase of Mondial by Klipsch, I am wondering which dealer will be the first to flinch and offer the Mondial systems and the Klipsch speakers. I'm hoping it is the local non-chain store, but I fear it will be the Huge chain store.

Sorry so long winded, but I do know your frustration.

Hey, cc1091, thanks for taking the time to get your impressions down... it is a story that seems far more commonplace than Klipsch fans would like to see. Horns do make a difference... and that difference has been the stuff of Legends. Sadly, "significant other / interior decorator" types around the audio world seem to be opting for the smaller-is-better, thin-is-in look... and Klipsch is keeping pace as they must. Any speaker that tells it like it is (e.g., the revealing "Klipsch Sound") could have an effect of reducing retail turns on rival products. But, somewhere in all that should be a price point at which authorized dealers can make more money with Klipsch and order less of Brand X...

I think its good that we share how difficult it can be to buy Klipsch... because that way we can tell our Klipsch referrals how life is and why they should persevere and get Klipsched rather than be Bozo'd.

I checked on my local authorized dealer and some new Reference speakers have finally made it to the sound room... but it was too late to catch their sound. Maybe tomorrow. cwm1.gif HornEd

Sorry, BobG, false alarm. I went back to Good Guys today and found that the Cherry RC-7 and RF-7's are remaining virgins cloistered in their Hope cartons. The story remains that there is not sufficient room to put a new Klipsch product in their sound room... particularly given their physical dimensions. Of course, they DO have room for the Bozo skeletal altar where pontificating salescubists celebrate Acoustimass!cwm14.gif

I have not been physically up to making a pilgrimage to some Klipsch friendly dealer... having spent much of last week in the hospital. But, I shall keep up the vigil just to have a chance to hear your new puppies howl... in the meantime, my Klipsch nostalgia trade has been brisk and satisfying than Lipton's finest!

Somehow the Good Guys aren't near as excited as I am. Stay tuned, it's your station. cwm36.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

and such... Tweakin' On!

Walnut Cornwalls / KSW-15 Music Room Under Construction

This message has been edited by HornEd on 07-17-2001 at 03:43 AM

Ive come across this post lots, so i thought while im at it, Hello ED!!!

Did you get to listen to your cornwalls yet?

After you listen to them, youll need to do another post , Horn Ed see blue, because your going to be happy, and cool!!!

Stay in good health Ed, be carefull carrying those 108 LB cornwalls around buddy!!!

Regards Jim