To Klipsch or not to Klipsch?

erdric

I am unsure what subwoofer to add to my system. I currently have the kg-3's, sc-1 and ss-1's hooked up to a Yamaha HTR-5250 in my HT setup. The kg-3's only go down to 36hz so I want to add a sub so I can get down into the mid to lower 20's. I was sure that I wanted either the ksw-12 or ksw-15 but I have noticed a number of people use velodyne, hsu and others. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good sub for my system? Are there certain brands that work well with klipsch? I've seen a number of people mention the sunfire and M+K as excellent choices. Do these work well with klipsch. I am looking to spend between $500 and $800 but I could go a little higher if it is considered an excellent choice.

I know practically nothing about subwoofers so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

erdric -

I have a KSW-15 that I paid $500 out the door from my dealer. It definitely produces a lot of bass - albeit in a fairly narrow band. It falls off around 25Hz and the output above 100Hz is not that great. Still, I like the way it matches up with my Heresy's and am pleased with it.

However...after chatting at length with the folks at SVS, I would definitely take Gametester's advice and give those guys some serious consideration. My house will see their product in the near future.

Tom Adams

I am going to keep my options open for now but I have to say that SVS is the front runner at the moment (thanks gametester). After spending the last number of hours looking for info on SVS I have to say that I am impressed. It seems that there is nothing bad about them. It also seems that every subwoofer topic that I read has a TVodhanel post in it offering information. The guy really knows his stuff.

I am primarily concerned with HT but does anyone know how the SVS is with music? If for some reason I only want to use the sub for HT is there a way to do that? Would I want to use it only with HT? Would the fact that I listen to 2 channel music make it a moot point if I have the sub connected via the subwoofer out terminal and not the speaker lever inputs? As I said, I am pretty new to this subwoofer stuff and I want to make the most informed decsion that I can.

I guess that I should have posted in the Powered Subwoofer section. My bad...