RF35 or RB75 for Classical music?

Merscruggs

I am intending to purchase a new pair of Klipsch speakers for listening primarily to classical music. I also listen to quite a bit of acoustic, blues and jazz music. I intend to match my new pair to either a Conrad-Johnson CAV50 or an Arcam A85, I haven't made up my mind yet on the amp but am leaning towards the Conrad-Johnson. The two Klipsch I'm considering are the RF35's or the RB75's. Again, I think I may be leaning towards the RB75 due to it's better drivers and real wood veneer. Would greatly appreciate advice or comments from owners of these speakers or people who know them well. I want presense, dynamics and most of all, clean, undistorted sound. Thanks in advance for any comments. I may also be able to obtain a pair of RF5's new for around the same price of the other two. Are the newer reference series better speakers or are the RF5's maybe a better choice?

I would go with the better horns and cabinets of the RB-75 provided I could pair them with a good subwoofer. If stands are required, don't forget the cost. Nice stands are pricey.

One advantage to the RB-75s would be the ability to expand the system to a 5.1 system with identical drivers on all 5 speakers. The other advantage of bookshelf speakers is that they are easier to place well. The RB-75 has its port on the front.

I bought RF-7s before the RB-75 was available. They share the same tweeter with minor modification. My RF-7s are great for home theater and music. The RB-75s should have all of the advantages of a top quality bookshelf and the great sound of quality compression horns.

Some of the other members can give you feedback on the amp side as I have not heard either amp.

Bill

I've looked at the RF7's and they are just too big for my room. The RF5's would be pushing it. The RF35's are a little slimmer and would be a better fit in my room. Actually, the RB75's would just about be idea, size wise. I also understand that I would have to include the cost of high quality stands into the price with the RB75's. All of these factors put the cost of either the RB75, RF35 or the RF5 close enough together where cost would not be the deciding factor. My room is around 16' x 12' x 8'. I believe the RB75's would be the best fit but I would also enjoy the extra bass response the floorstanders would offer. I am not a fan of either subwoofers or home theaters. This system is strictly 2 channel.

I just purchased the RF5's and can highly recommend them for your musical taste. RF5's or 7's would be a great choice - not to slight the RB75's. I was able to get the RF5's from Barretts for 1100.00 - better than internet pricing. I found several dealers in the Chicago area willing to discount.2.gif

Merscruggs,

Is there any special reason that you do not like subwoofers? Proper use of a subwoofer can reult in a clearer mid range and more unform bass response.

If you won't use a sub, you need floorstanders for accurate bass reproduction in your music. Nothing in the Reference line can keep up with the RF-7s bass. The other speakers are not in the same league as far as bass is concerned. The RF-7s do require excellent amps to perform well below 80 Hz.

The other alternative is to go used Heritage, but with the exception of the Heresy, they are all huge. Take a look at K-horns if you could use your corners. The farther apart corners are best.

Bill

If the RB-75 horns are the same as the ones used in the RF-7s, this could be very good for classical. However, in order to bring out the best, some crossover work (cap conditioning and possibly cap replacement would be in order). If you can add a subwoofer and match it without passing the main signal through a high pass filter, that would be a way to get lows without compromising the main sound. It means the subwoofer crossover point would have to be adjustable.

I find my RF-7s, drived by the 2A3 SET is the best I've heard for anything classical except very large, dynamic pieces. It is superb for string quartet, chamber orch, solo violin.

Leo