Cable causing ground loopie hummer

Bruinsrme

Well this eveing I was listening to my system and boy There was an annoying hum humming.

I isolated it down the the Cable cable. Only when I connect the coax cable to the cable box does the hum start humming.

With power removed from the box and the coax connected the hum is present.

With power applied and the coax connected the hum is there

With power applied and the coax NOT connected the hum is GONE

I tried running it through the monster power conditioner and still the hum is present

Any ideas how I can rid this ground loop?

Thanks

Scott

The Jensen (if I remember correctly) isolation transformers are the best for digital cable because they do not limit bandwidth. They are more expensive than Rat Shack. For analog, Rat Shack should be fine.

The alternative is to properly ground the cable box. (This is not as easy as it sounds.)

Bill

I am learnig that in the past I have tried a millions different things to fix a problem only to find out I have spend countless hours trying ot make cheap solutions work. And in the end if I spend the little extra $$$$$ up front I would have been able to resolve the issue for less money and time.

Thanks Ray

Scott

• 5 weeks later...

Bill is right on regarding the Jensen. I have the Mondial Magic, but when I got my new digital cable box, I got a nasty hum the minute I hooked the digital audio output to my pre/pro. The Jensen in-line isolation transformer did the trick, and the hum is gone. Not cheap, but it really works, and as Bill points out, won't impact your digital signal.

C