HT Question????

Baz

Hi all!!

I was talking to my friend last weekend and he told me he was getting started on an addition to his house and in one room he wants to turn into a HT. I asked him what he was thinking about for sound and he didn't have a clue.

He's got a budget of 3-5 thousand cnd. for audio.

Any suggestions from you guys on amps, speakers, subs.

He wants to hook up a projection unit and wants to be able to hook up his existing bose speakers (2 in another room and 2 more on 2nd level) to the same setup along with the HT speakers.

Any suggestion???

Give the names of manufacturers or any reputable audio reviewers.

I wanted to ask you guys first, if i don't get any ideas i will post in the Home Theater section.c>

Okay, this forum is EXTREMELY biased towards Klipsch. That's not a bad thing, but Klipsch speakers cater to a specific taste, which we don't know if your friend has or not. Go to www.avsforum.com and www.hometheaterforum.com and ask there.

Oh, and also, *EVERY* Home Theater Audiophile out there says that Bose sucks. Because they do. BOSE IS EVAHL! EVAHL!!!

------------------

"Feh."

First and foremost -

Do Not buy sat. speaker system if you want GREAT sound.

Best advice, go into a stereo store(not circuit city, or best buy) and listen to what is available.

Check audioreview.com Mostly unbiased reviews by owners of the systems. And you will get a good feel for how much it will run you.

For reference I have

Denon AVR2801 85 watt DTS paid $500.00

Klipsch KG2s Front can't remember long time ago

Klipsch KV-3 Center(perfect match to the KG2s) $200

Klipsch SS1 Surrounds $300

Velodyne CT120 sub $480

Not bad considering what some of the sat systems run. And I guarantee it sounds a heck of a lot better.

Jon

quote:

Best advice, go into a stereo store(not circuit city, or best buy) and listen to what is available

That's what we're gonna do, there's a couple of good stores in Ottawa and we'll see what they have.

I hope he does'nt impulse buy, i would really like to read the reviews on the stuff we see.

Thanks for the sites guys!!!

I'll post his final choice and maybee a pic of the room.

definitely advise him not to impulse buy.

he's going to realize after he learns more about audio that he made all the wrong choices.

try looking at paradigm equipment, we get very good prices in Canada for those.

a PW 2200 sub cost me 670 CAN

then you can buy an array of Paradigm speakers.

you could go with a good receiver like the Sony DB series, or go the separate route, which will be more expensive at first but offer more progressive upgradeability.

DO NOT USE THE BOSE SPEAKERS IN THE SETUP except maybe temporarily in the back if you're really strapped for cash.

projection... mmmmhhhh...

means the room's gonna be pretty big, right? so you should really forego the satellite/sub route, as the sats will have trouble filling the space.

at least use monitor speakers of high quality that have good bass, but it's always better to use floorstanding especially for home theater, you want big sound and a good ht sub will have trouble reproducing the upper bass properly.

Thanks for the input Seb.

His existing bose speakers are for two other rooms, one behind the HT room and another upstairs (main floor).

There for his wife so she can listen to radio during the day.(he wants to hook up everything in one system) so that would mean he needs to be able to hook up 9 speakers and one sub (his 4 bose, 4 other speakers, center speaker and sub).

He was thinking of encasing the speakers in the walls (not a done deal yet) would he get bad performance by doing this?