Who runs a 6.1 or a 7.1 setup??

TIbor

I am more than happy with my 5.1 setup,but I cant say I have heard anything more than that(thank god). I am alreadly prewired for 6.1(that is adding a rear center right?...) for the future. I am curious how many people have already jumped in to the other standards. I dont think that many dvds take advantage of the other formats yet?... I probably in the not too distant future add a rear center, but to also add two more rear channels is a lot of speakers for one room, how soon before 9.1???

Thanks

You are correct in that not many dvd's are are in 6.1 descrete format.

But some good ones are. There is a improvement in having 6.1 vs. 5.1

The rear surround sound much more complete. In addition, most receivers

allow matrix surround where it mixed the two rear channels. In terms of

7.1 or higher, this is in my opinion not very practical in most homes.

In theaters this is more practical due to the size.

I have a 7.1 setup,RF7's mains,RC7 center,second pair of RF7's as rear sourrounds and RF5's as side sourrounds.All powered by ATI's 1505 and 2505.

Movies that make use of the extra rear channel(s)have a more realsitic sourround,more like in a well setup movie theater.After 7.1 it gets over the top,and only people with large room could place extra sourrounds to take full advantage.

7.1 at its best is all the sourround one needs.The .1 being a good few subs 1.gif

I recently upgraded from 6.1 to 7.1 downstairs, and even that improvement sounds quite a bit better. Due to space constraints upstairs, I still run a 5.1 system even though my Yamaha has 6.1 capability. TheEAR and gcoker are right; there is a much fuller and realistic rear soundstage when listening to movies in 7.1 instead of 5.1. When watching movies upstairs, I feel as though I am now "missing" something with my 5.1 setup. Since you have an excellent 7.1 receiver, upgrade to 6.1 or 7.1 by purchasing (an) additional center(s) (my preference) or one or two additional surrounds. There is some good 6.1 music available, and there is always the option of pseudo-seven channel with your Denon, which is also a blast. I would not worry about having too many speakers because by looking at your equipment, your sub can handle it.

(Don't you just love your PB2-ISD? 9.gif )

-----------------------

Downstairs

Samsung TXN3245FP

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Denon DVD-2900

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RF3II

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Left Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

Right Rear: Klipsch RC35

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

Mains, Center: Onkyo SKS-HT500

Surrounds: Axiom QS-8

HSU VTF-2

I love my 6.1

The Gladiator is DTS 6.1......awesome sounding....

Out of about 200 DVD I have only 5 are 6.1 sound......

but about 170 are Dolby digital 5.1......My receiver then matrix the rear center......It makes for betyter sound....

the surrounds then tend to be less localized......I use RS-7 for all 3 surrounds.....and I must say you are hard pressed to pin point the sound....you can tell it is coming from the side....but is not like having the "window open"....more like the whole wall open.....

If you can get it do it....ensure your receiver can go Dolby 5.1 Ex and DTS 6.1 as minimum....

Good luck

Thans for the input I think I will eventually get a rear center to the 6.1. But due to the overwhelming expensive of finsishing the basement I will wait on it. I was smart enough to already wire for it in the wall though for the rear center 9.gif

If you had 2 fronts 1 center in the front 1 center in the rear and 4 rear surronds, wouldnt that be 8.1 or are the 2nd second of rears actaully the same signal as the rears as for 5.1?

Thanks

----------------

On 1/27/2004 5:13:57 PM TIbor wrote:

If you had 2 fronts 1 center in the front 1 center in the rear and 4 rear surronds, wouldnt that be 8.1 or are the 2nd second of rears actaully the same signal as the rears as for 5.1?

Thanks

----------------

You would not likely run 5 rear speakers (1 center in the rear and 4 rear surrounds). Most 7.1 receivers are configured to run (clockwise): 1) left main; 2) front center; 3) right main; 4) right side surround; 5) right rear center; 6) left rear center; and 7) left side surround (and .1 for the sub(s)).

Some prefer using four surrounds speakers for the rear four; that just means that they are using the first set of surround speakers for the left and right side surrounds and the second set of surround speakers for the left and right centers. Using an excellent surround speaker like a RS-7 works well for this application. Optimally, the two rear centers run off of different signals than those of the side surrounds, and I would not really characterize them as the same signal found in the rears of a 5.1 setup.

As to speaker options, others run towers for fronts and side surrounds and mix them with either centers or surround speakers. I personally chose center speakers for my left and right rear centers and surround speakers for my side surrounds. With two center speakers in the rear, you get the added benefit of additional woofers in the back vs. horns (or this is a detriment if you prefer more horns in back).

There is no absolute "correct" answer on what type of speaker to run for which channel (of the seven). Ultimately, it depends on what sounds best for your ear. Hope that helps.

You are welcome.

----------------

Downstairs

Samsung TXN3245FP

Harmon Kardon AVR 525

Denon DVD-2900

Mains: Klipsch RF3II

Center: Klipsch RF3II

Surrounds: Klipsch RS35

Left Rear: Klipsch KLF-C7

Right Rear: Klipsch RC35

SVS 20-39PCi

SVS PB2-ISD

Upstairs

Yamaha RX-V1300

Mains, Center: Onkyo SKS-HT500

Surrounds: Axiom QS-8

HSU VTF-2

There are more and more 6.1 DVD's coming all the time and it really does enhance the surround effect. These are some of the Dolby Digital EX & DTS ES movies I have and there are more than this out right now. My guess is there are atleast 120 or more 6.1 DVD's currently out which is a fair number.

Along Came A Spider

Art Of War

Austin Powers The Spy Who Shagged Me

Austin Powers Goldmember

Bats

Blade II

Die Another Day

Final Destination 2

Finding Nemo

Freddie VS Jason

Gladiator

Harry Potter: The Chamber Of Secrets

Harry Potter: The Sorcers Stone

Hulk

Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Ring

Lord Of The Rings: Two Towers

Jurassic Park III

Messenger: The Story Of Joan Of Arc

Minority Report

Mission To Mars

Monsters Inc.

Perfect Storm

Pirates Of The Caribbean

Pitch Black

Rush Hour 2

Say It Isn't So

See Spot Run

Signs

Star Wars Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Star Wars Episode II: Attack Of The Clones

Terminator

Terminator 2: Judgment Day

Terminator 2: Judgment Day Extreme

The Evil Dead

The Haunting

Toy Story 2

Unbreakable

We Were Soldiers

I run a 7.2 setup currently, and with DD EX and DTS ES soundtracks I must say that it is awesome. I hear every little nuance and it makes for a much more realistic movie watching experience. 7 channels of Heritage is truly something that you have to experience.

Before getting a KLF-C7 for 6.1, I was using a pair or el cheapo, like $20 at BB, KLH small wall mount speakers for 7.1. They sounded good, especially for such a small investment.

Do you have a speaker from another set-up that you could spare to try it out for a few days/movies? If you like it and $$$ is an issue right now, I'd go the cheap route for now. Good luck...Mike

----------------

On 1/29/2004 12:03:36 PM Frzninvt wrote:

7 channels of Heritage is truly something that you have to experience.

----------------

AMEN TO THAT. Heritage is the ultimite HT experience.

But back to the question at hand - Even with a 5.1 disk, with the right processor you still can get an awesome 7.1. I love my Lexicon logic 7 how it works is a mystery to me, but I swear you would think your listening to a discrete 7.1 mix instead of a 5.1.

Basicilly what I am saying is that get the right processor now and enjoy 7.1 with any disk.

JM

• 4 weeks later...

I am currently running the following;

Reciever - Pioneer Elite 45TX

Mains - Chorus II's

Center - RC-3II - Switching to KLF-C7

Side Surrounds - RS-3II's - Switching to KG4's

Back Surrounds - KG1's

I have listed to my system in 5.1 and 7.1 and have to say that the 7.1 does a much nicer job of filling the entire room. Obviously 6.1 surround movies are limited but my 45TX takes up the job of filling that speaker when only running Dolby Digital surround on the movie. No, it's not the same sounds but it does sound good just the same.

Just my opinion.

I've sold 2 of my 3 RC7s that I used for center & rear center in a 7.1 The other is for sale. 7.1 is overkill now. Nothing I've seen is in 7.1. I have replaced the 3 with 2 more LaS in a 6.1. At least some 6.1 is available. Coverage isn't a problem in my setup, which would be the only reason I'd go for 2 rear centers.

SSH

Running 9.2 myself. Ok ok ok... 7.1. But how did I come up with 9.2?

left

center

right

2 @ right surround

2 @ left surround

rigth rear

left rear

Reason I have two sets of side surrounds is because I have 3 rows of seating, it was bugging me when I sat behind the surrounds. So I addeded a second set. It's been suggested by some of the very knowledgeable that I remove the second set of side surrounds for the absolute best audio quality.

It's a trade off I guess. More speakers means larger surround affect field, or shall I say a better affect. I say better affect in that there are more seats whre it sounds like the surrounds are to the side of you. But with more side surounds, it degrades the quailtiy. So i'm told anyway.

I did an a/b test with and without the extra side surrounds. What I noticed was that you loose a tiny bit of directionality. It gets muddied up ever sooooooooo slightly.

It's a battle I've been trying to decide for about 4 months now. Take out the extra set or leave them in. I think if my room was a little wider, I would most likely take them out, but because I have a narrow room, it's very obvious in the second row of seats when I don't have the second set of sides running. All the surround affects appear in front of you.

eh... the battle rages on.14.gif

Oh yeah, I've even thought about replacing all 4 of my RS7s and replacing them with 2 RC7s

I am running 7.1 with some pretty marginal speakers at the moment, but the effect I am getting is truly fun. The advantage to 7.1 over 6.1 is that the human ear will sometimes hear a single source from behind as being in front of you. But in the 7.1 there is enough information matrixed in from the left and right sides to "place" the rears firmly behind you.